Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 5, 2015, 18:08   #1
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Ironman priest game - can't decide what to keep

I started a troll priest combination yesterday and am absolutely rolling in artifacts so far. Any ideas what to keep and what to chuck?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17366

The randart bow is pretty ridiculous and I've managed to get all resists covered which I don't think has ever happened before. I've been using orb of draining so far and am considering using melee instead, but I'm having a bit of a mental block about what to use (been using rings of escaping up to now).

I find this point the game the most difficult as I can't really get my head around which combination to use when there are so many different choices possible.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015, 20:18   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
... Any ideas what to keep and what to chuck? ...
Impressive to have no resistance holes already. Just from a quick look, I'd be trying to maximize damage to evil and speed now (while preserving that perfect resistance slate) to get ready for the bosses. That Quarterstaff Belendori looks great for taking on the big guys once you get it up to max blows. By that time you won't care about the "aggravate" flag, and might even welcome it so you don't have to chase as much. That Broadsword Umoron will be great too once you get your Dex up. (Although it's name may be an ill omen, "[You] moron".) The +9 boots of speed I'd wear once stealth is not important.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015, 11:09   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
The +9 boots of speed I'd wear once stealth is not important.
But pBlind is. So the question is +4 speed or pBlind? I would keep the pBlind, because his speed is already over +10 with it (and under +20 with +9 boots and without Escape ring). For a spellcaster ability to cast spells in every situation is important.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015, 20:45   #4
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Would this be a better end weapon?

the Quarterstaff of Minquen (4d9) (+14,+15) [+4]
Slays evil creatures.

It's got much higher damage dice and slay evil too (Morgoth is evil isn't he?). Or would the other one be better as it has the extra blows?

I'm still a bit stuck as to what to throw away as all the weapons seem useful in a different way.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015, 10:56   #5
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
The only weapon that is worth keeping for later is the aggravating one; nothing else does enough damage to consider using over orb, and the one you are wielding is the best stat-stick. I would keep the current one equipped and carry Belendori.
Also I would swap the gloves, fire immunity is much more important than lightning. It allows you to carry only 1 of each base book, for a reduction in weight and an end to any worries about losing them. Just stay clear of Harrowen, if he is still alive, I forget how much dexterity you need to be stealproof but yours is either already there or very close. You can keep the lightning ones around if you have space, to use for killing Pazuzu, but if space becomes a problem, dont hesitate to drop them; Pazuzu can be killed without lightning immunity, albeit with more hassle (drop wands in a safe corner).
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015, 13:45   #6
superjase
Rookie

superjase is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The only weapon that is worth keeping for later is the aggravating one; nothing else does enough damage to consider using over orb, and the one you are wielding is the best stat-stick. I would keep the current one equipped and carry Belendori.
Also I would swap the gloves, fire immunity is much more important than lightning. It allows you to carry only 1 of each base book, for a reduction in weight and an end to any worries about losing them. Just stay clear of Harrowen, if he is still alive, I forget how much dexterity you need to be stealproof but yours is either already there or very close. You can keep the lightning ones around if you have space, to use for killing Pazuzu, but if space becomes a problem, dont hesitate to drop them; Pazuzu can be killed without lightning immunity, albeit with more hassle (drop wands in a safe corner).
i believe it's dex 18/150 to prevent theft
superjase is offline   Reply With Quote