Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 7, 2017, 00:14   #81
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Any chance of getting PosChengband 6.1.0 incorporated into this along with chat implentation? ...So that I can have you spectators watch me in real-time?

My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; June 7, 2017 at 00:24.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 00:28   #82
MITZE
Adept

MITZE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Any chance of getting PosChengband 6.1.0 incorporated into this along with chat implentation? ...So that I can have you spectators watch me in real-time?
PosChengband v6.1.0 is on there already, Hugo; the only thing that's missing is a chat function so we can all yell at you proper!

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.
MITZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 02:55   #83
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZE View Post
PosChengband v6.1.0 is on there already, Hugo; the only thing that's missing is a chat function so we can all yell at you proper!
So, I now have a clvl 36 Tonberry Skillmaster in progress...How do I load it from outside the webserver?

Old June 7, 2017, 03:37   #84
MITZE
Adept

MITZE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
So, I now have a clvl 36 Tonberry Skillmaster in progress...How do I load it from outside the webserver?
If you're asking if you can play a thus far offline character on the webserver: I don't think it works like that.

As far as I know, characters need to be created on the webserver to be played there. You might want to check with Gwarl about that, though.

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.
MITZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 04:04   #85
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Sounds like webserver-created PosChengband savefiles stay there and cannot be exported offline right? What about .HTML chardumps, etc.?

Hey, I did a test drive with Gwarl's site. HOW do I know if anyone is spectating? Or HOW do I spectate?

I found a problem - so, I started up an in-webserver character named "Hugo's Mercy" a Hasty Tonberry Skillmaster. Well, I was doing fine until I click outside of the window to do something. When I get back, the game freezes! I can't move. And I can't save either! I didn't lose any significant progress anyways.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; June 7, 2017 at 04:13.
Old June 7, 2017, 11:00   #86
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Hey, a few answers:

As it stands, you can get screendumps and char dumps by URL - so if you name your char dump Hugo.txt, you could find it at angband.live/user/Hugo/poschengband/Hugo.txt - there will be download links provided to all your own dumps later, and probably .prf uploads too.

There's no facility for uploading/downloading savefiles, and I'm not convinced that there should be (encourages savescumming and compromises highscore integrity), but if you attach a savefile as an upload here I'll copy it over your savefile, just this once.

When there is a live game, it will show up in a list to anyone not currently playing. You can check if you're live by opening the site again in a new tab, you should be able to then spectate yourself, but not be able to play from the spectating window. Usually there's a borg running but the current borg is struggling not to get caught in loops. (Edit: started a new borg you can check spectating by watching him)

As for the thing freezing when you look away - I'm aware of this, and I know what's happening, but I don't yet know why, or how to fix it. In fact your savefile exists, but looks to be from the very start of the game - if you did more than take a few steps I'm afraid your progress has been lost. (But according to my experiments, you don't in fact lose your progress). The solution - if the game is taking more than a few seconds to respond after tabbing away, just reload the page and start up again. In the case of poschengband you might get a message about deleting old temporal files - type 'y'. I acknowledge this is annoying and I will try and fix it - because it's annoying.

There's no way yet to know if you're being spectated. That will be a part of chat when I (finally!) add it.

Last edited by Gwarl; June 7, 2017 at 11:47.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 20:40   #87
t4nk
Swordsman

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Gwarl
I am sorry. Because of completely unforeseen circumstances I'm not having any free time. Some things happened that take all my time and energy and I'm afraid I won't be able to work on the web ui for angband.
I regret that I made false promises and couldn't deliver. I still want to do that, but at the moment that's impossible, and I don't know when the situation will get better. It will at least take several months (for some undefined definition of "several") and at most - I have no idea. At least one of us will probably lose interest in angband by then...
Again, I'm sorry. My only defence is that I really intended to write the new frontend, and didn't see my current situation coming.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 23:05   #88
Gwarl
Knight

No worries. I heard a rumour there was more to life than angband and I guess that happened to you - but it should still be here when you come back. Good luck in your endeavours.
Old June 8, 2017, 00:10   #89
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Running (Shift + Directional Key) doesn't work in the webserver's PosChengband. Another potential problem is the lag.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; June 8, 2017 at 00:29.
Old June 8, 2017, 11:14   #90
Gwarl
Knight

For reasons not entirely clear to me it seems like the shiftrunning hack I put together for vanilla isn't going to work for PCB. I hope this isn't a dealbreaker - I got quite used to hitting . then the direction before I came up with a fix for vanilla (it is on the numpad after all). I'll put figuring out a hack that will work for PCB on my list of things to do.

Lag isn't something I can solve with software - the server is located in Europe, and while I can play without noticeable lag here I have heard this a lot from people further away.