Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2011, 17:34   #1
Leiferra
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Leiferra is on a distinguished road
Bit of advice?

Haven't played Angband for a loooong while, now picked it again...

Playing 3.3.0 Vanilla, HE ranger, currently hanging around 1600' looking for stat potions. I'm kinda overpowered for this depth, but I'm afraid to dive as I don't have poison res and my CON is bad (I have around 230 HP at the moment). On the other hand, I have the basic four resistances, FA, +10 speed, and decent damage output. I have blindness resistance, but no confusion resistance.

Given that I feel noobish and go slowly and carefully, does it make sense for me to dive deeper? Essentially, I'm afraid of the "It breathes... you die" scenario and I don't want to be bothered to cast detect monsters every couple of steps until I get considerably deeper.

As an aside, got my first "omens of death" level yesterday -- after very carefully creeping around it turned out to be a vault with Balrog of Moria + escorts, a great storm wyrm (level 67), a few mature dragons, and other assorted fauna. Balrog at 1600'? Ah, thankyouverymuch, could you point me to the nearest stairs, please..? :-)
Leiferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2011, 18:34   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiferra View Post
Haven't played Angband for a loooong while, now picked it again...

Playing 3.3.0 Vanilla, HE ranger, currently hanging around 1600' looking for stat potions. I'm kinda overpowered for this depth, but I'm afraid to dive as I don't have poison res and my CON is bad (I have around 230 HP at the moment). On the other hand, I have the basic four resistances, FA, +10 speed, and decent damage output. I have blindness resistance, but no confusion resistance.

Given that I feel noobish and go slowly and carefully, does it make sense for me to dive deeper? Essentially, I'm afraid of the "It breathes... you die" scenario and I don't want to be bothered to cast detect monsters every couple of steps until I get considerably deeper.

As an aside, got my first "omens of death" level yesterday -- after very carefully creeping around it turned out to be a vault with Balrog of Moria + escorts, a great storm wyrm (level 67), a few mature dragons, and other assorted fauna. Balrog at 1600'? Ah, thankyouverymuch, could you point me to the nearest stairs, please..? :-)
Hum, could you post your character dump? That vault obviously is one of the better ones, which means that there is guaranteed excellent items in it. If you can teleport that Balrog away and that Storm Wyrm away you could benefit from clearing that vault (I'm guessing escorts are weak at this shallow). You definitely have speed to handle those monsters, but too few HP to risk combat.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2011, 20:53   #3
Leiferra
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Leiferra is on a distinguished road
Well, that level is gone, I didn't really feel I had the means to tangle with that much nastiness having that little HP... Balrog's escorts were mostly mariliths and nalfeshnees, they have to be demons, I think, and low-level demons are pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, here's a bit more recent character dump, since that vault I got Arvedui's and Calris (yay), one or two potions of Con as well.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Fea.txt (14.9 KB, 130 views)
Leiferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2011, 03:20   #4
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,469
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Generally speaking, you can either accept the (relatively low) risk of instant death and dive, or play cautiously and not dive. I generally suggest going as low as you feel comfortable with, where "comfort" means "can avoid what you can't kill". But that's mostly because I find hanging around at a single depth for very long to be boring.

Your character sounds pretty powerful. Best of luck with him/her.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011, 04:39   #5
Leiferra
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Leiferra is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm still hanging around 1750' without poison resistance. I've seen a drolem at this depth which I carefully tiptoed around, and an AMHD which I left alone -- everything else here I basically demolish without problems.

I found and am wielding Orome which, together with my boots of speed, makes me ridiculously fast for this depth. Is it an endgame-quality weapon?

Also, what kind of consumables should I collect? Right now I am collecting potions of speed, of healing, *healing*, protection from evil, and CCW. What else?


Edit: Hmm.... I should have looked at the data files earlier. The ring of poison's natural depth is 40, there are no (!) ego items with poison resistance and among the artifacts there's only Caspanion and a couple of weapons that provide it and are likely to occur this shallow. This means I must be at least at 2000' to be looking for poison resistance...

A quick check who breaths poison at 40 or less: all varieties of green and MH dragons of course, a basilisk, 7-headed hydras, and some small fry. Really, only the ancient dragons are a threat, not counting OOD monsters. This is tolerable.

Off to 2000' I go!


Edit edit :-) http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11758

Last edited by Leiferra; August 25, 2011 at 05:11.
Leiferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011, 06:40   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiferra View Post
Also, what kind of consumables should I collect? Right now I am collecting potions of speed, of healing, *healing*, protection from evil, and CCW. What else?
Protection from evil are not worth collecting. Use them. Runes of protection are worth collecting.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2011, 01:31   #7
jevansau
Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 59
Posts: 155
jevansau is on a distinguished road
Potions of Restore Mana are worth collecting - very handy when you want a lot of Runes of Protection quickly.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2011, 06:08   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
Potions of Restore Mana are worth collecting - very handy when you want a lot of Runes of Protection quickly.
Does ranger get the rune? If so I suggest that is removed.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unused monster bit flags? Hajo Development 2 August 28, 2010 10:47
Game crash - 3.1.2 Win 7 64 bit kurie Vanilla 4 February 23, 2010 02:37
64-bit warning cleanliness patch AnonymousHero Development 5 December 31, 2009 09:16
Something a bit different Aknight Variants 22 June 25, 2008 21:13
Will we get rid of the 32 bit flag variables? Bandobras Vanilla 18 December 22, 2007 14:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.