Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 11, 2014, 10:01   #1
Khuzdul
Scout

Khuzdul is on a distinguished road
the oldest one in the book...

So, you've probably all heard this one a million times before but here goes (don't hate me!):

WHAT RACE? WHAT CLASS?

I've been playing Angband for ages and have come to be quite friendly with Dwarf Priests and High-Elf Mages. These two are killer combinations (in my opinion) and I've got some pretty good characters out of them. While they are pretty good (and fun when they get good enough) I really want something new to try. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME WEIRD COMBINATIONS OR I MAY RISK LOSING FAITH IN THE HOLY GAME!

As a side dish for this thread, I was wondering if the Hybrid classes (especially rouge) are actually worth it? They do have some *really* nice features, but against a highly developed mage I don't really see the point.

One again, thanks
Khuzdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 11:34   #2
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
High-elf rogue, high-elf ranger, half-troll paladin, imo. These combinations give you pretty consistent strength throughout the game and play quite differently from each other and from the mages and priests you like. If you're just after variety, choosing 'bad' combinations or using various ironman option may be the way to go.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 12:19   #3
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
In no particular order: hobbit rogue, gnome rogue, kobold rogue.
High stealth race + rogue is very much fun to play. You get full detect with the rogue spell (you can actually see what kinds of items are scattered about, not only a one-for-all icon). High stealth boosted with items will allow you to sneak around and grab things, most of the time without having to deal with the guarding monsters.

The other way to play rogues is relying on strength and health with one of the bulky races, which can also be very rewarding.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 13:07   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Half-Troll Warrior (and using no weapons, missiles, or offense magic whatsoever - ha, ha, ha).
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 14:33   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Half-Troll Mages are surprisingly viable -- their incredible durability and innate regeneration helps make up for their lousy INT.

Otherwise, absolutely do check out the hybrid classes, and for god's sake play a warrior or two...dozen. Each class is intended to have certain things that they aren't good at, so you have to get inventive about working around their weaknesses. That's where a significant chunk of the fun of the game is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 17:51   #6
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Half-Troll Mages are surprisingly viable -- their incredible durability and innate regeneration helps make up for their lousy INT.

Otherwise, absolutely do check out the hybrid classes, and for god's sake play a warrior or two...dozen. Each class is intended to have certain things that they aren't good at, so you have to get inventive about working around their weaknesses. That's where a significant chunk of the fun of the game is.
Indeed. They re still inferior though, not because of low int, but because of low stealth. I remember playing one where at some point I simply equipped a weapon +2 attacks and started meleeing; while it was low damage compared to spells, it was less tedious and I didnt dare dive with that character.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014, 07:48   #7
Khuzdul
Scout

Khuzdul is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice! I'll try it out. I have played a few paladins, that were ok, but i'll put more effort into it this time (not die)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Half-Troll Warrior (and using no weapons, missiles, or offense magic whatsoever - ha, ha, ha).
Oh yes. Whenever I am bored.
Khuzdul is offline   Reply With Quote