Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 29, 2010, 19:31   #1
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
autoinscribe at item creation

There are a couple of bugs with autoinscriptions, but instead of fixing them piecemeal I think it makes more sense to change the dynamic.

Currently, autoinscribing is considered something the character does to items in its possession. That kind of makes sense, but I see it differently. To me, autoinscriptions are simply part of the UI system.

I'd like to see the autoinscription applied to the object when it is created. That would allow for example to put "=g" on items you want to autopickup. It would also clean up the code.

The one drawback I can think of relates to squelch. I autoinscribe things with !* that depending upon race and class and CL I may decide to squelch. If I want to squelch, and autoinscriptions are applied at object creation, I would have to remove the autoinscription. Currently, I never change autoinscriptions and they carry over game to game.

Obviously, this is no big deal one way or the other. Does anyone care?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 19:55   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
There are a couple of bugs with autoinscriptions, but instead of fixing them piecemeal I think it makes more sense to change the dynamic.

Currently, autoinscribing is considered something the character does to items in its possession. That kind of makes sense, but I see it differently. To me, autoinscriptions are simply part of the UI system.

I'd like to see the autoinscription applied to the object when it is created. That would allow for example to put "=g" on items you want to autopickup. It would also clean up the code.

The one drawback I can think of relates to squelch. I autoinscribe things with !* that depending upon race and class and CL I may decide to squelch. If I want to squelch, and autoinscriptions are applied at object creation, I would have to remove the autoinscription. Currently, I never change autoinscriptions and they carry over game to game.

Obviously, this is no big deal one way or the other. Does anyone care?
In my approach to the pref file stuff, I see autoinscriptions as a preference to be saved along with squelch settings. But you seem to see squelch as per-character, and inscriptions as per-user. I see both as per-class. Ho hum.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 20:33   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Squelch is per-character and changes over the character's lifetime. Early on I'm interested in average- and good-quality equipment, wands of magic missile, staves of CLW, etc. Later I don't want to see 'em.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 21:07   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Squelch is per-character and changes over the character's lifetime. Early on I'm interested in average- and good-quality equipment, wands of magic missile, staves of CLW, etc. Later I don't want to see 'em.
I understand that - sorry my post was not very clear. I was referring to the initial squelch settings, for a new character. My mages squelch all priest books, etc.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 21:30   #5
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Autoinscriptions are sort of both, per character and per user ... but per user is more important IMHO.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010, 19:22   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm not asking how any of you view using squelch or autoinscriptions. To each his own. My question is whether anyone cares about changing the dynamic to autoinscribe at item creation instead of at pickup.

There will also have to be autoinscription when learning a flavor, but that is a separate issue.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010, 21:40   #7
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
Perhaps this is a ridiculous question, but what do all of the various inscriptions do?

I know, for example, that !d prevents dropping, !k prevents destroying, and !* requires confirmation of any action. Also @ symbol is useful for consumables, spellbooks, and macros, but beyond that I don't know. I've seen !! on some ladder characters but don't know what it does and wasn't aware of =g either. I currently set maces of disruption, BoC, and SoS to !k autoinscribe, which is helpful endgame if I have squelch settings to artifact only. But I still have to pick the item up first. Otherwise they may suffer the wrath of [F9], which is macrod to k-ay.

Being able to set certain consumables, such as !healing, !rmana, !*Healing*, ?banish, etc., to autopickup would be useful, as I collect those mid-game but don't carry them. If inscribing the item when it is created would allow that, I would be in favor of it. Certainly rings of speed would be something else I always want to pickup.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to squelch chests?
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010, 23:15   #8
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulian View Post
On an unrelated note, is there a way to squelch chests?
I believe empty chests are auto-squelched. Do you want do squelch chest before you open them?

You may learn a little more about inscriptions here. (!!) notifies you when an item is recharged, it's one of my favorites.
Old October 30, 2010, 23:29   #9
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I'm not asking how any of you view using squelch or autoinscriptions. To each his own. My question is whether anyone cares about changing the dynamic to autoinscribe at item creation instead of at pickup.

There will also have to be autoinscription when learning a flavor, but that is a separate issue.
Changing it to item creation sounds fine to me, but I'm not volunteering to do it.
Old October 31, 2010, 00:50   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm not certain why squelch-on-creation is functionally different from squelch-on-contact. What would it gain us?
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote