Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2009, 11:31   #31
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
You might think that, but my HE mage is CL29, has Mim down and is now at DL62 of Angband after 73k turns. I'd stick up a dump if it wasn't broken

Just avoid (or TA if you can) anything you can't kill and make the most of frost beam, thrust away, teleport other, telekenesis and stone to mud.
Nice work - I picked a Longbeard Mage so it's taken >100k turns just to get to Amon Rudh 16 speedily as possible...

Looking forward to this Best Spell Ever, though...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 11:35   #32
Psi
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 43
Posts: 870
Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
Looking forward to this Best Spell Ever, though...
...and that is even after I had to get Nick to tone it down because it made mages far too easy.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 11:45   #33
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
...and that is even after I had to get Nick to tone it down because it made mages far too easy.
...and speaking of which, I would like to hear opinions about whether the magestaff activation makes things too easy. It's already been toned down a bit, too, and I'm open to extending it's timeout and/or reducing the mana restored.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 12:32   #34
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Hmm, it definitely makes things easier for casters at the start. It attentuates a little once at CL10+, though. I think adding 10 SP is fine but I'd extend the recharge to something more like 20+d20 - with the current set-up, a char at, say, CL7 with INT 18/50 can PD and Fire Bolt almost indefinitely, making the likes of Brodda (or any normal speed monster with no ranger attacks) absolutely trivial...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 12:54   #35
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,915
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
Hmm, it definitely makes things easier for casters at the start. It attentuates a little once at CL10+, though. I think adding 10 SP is fine but I'd extend the recharge to something more like 20+d20 - with the current set-up, a char at, say, CL7 with INT 18/50 can PD and Fire Bolt almost indefinitely, making the likes of Brodda (or any normal speed monster with no ranger attacks) absolutely trivial...
This is as it should be. (What else should mages be looking for than normal speed monsters with no range attacks?)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 13:44   #36
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Heh, I wasn't advocating any tactics other than scoot'n'shoot but the new Magestaff activation set-up gives Mages a 10SP boost every (I think) 10+d5 turns.
This gives a Mage with around 15 SPs (say around CL7 with INT at 18/50) a nearly zero-risk game against monsters with no ranged attacks as, by the time their mana is depleted, the Magestaff is recharged and ready to give them another 10 SP...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 14:03   #37
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
I think adding 10 SP is fine but I'd extend the recharge to something more like 20+d20
That sounds good. It means you can fire off all your mana and get one restore, but then you do actually run out before the staff recharges.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 14:41   #38
Psi
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 43
Posts: 870
Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
Heh, I wasn't advocating any tactics other than scoot'n'shoot but the new Magestaff activation set-up gives Mages a 10SP boost every (I think) 10+d5 turns.
This gives a Mage with around 15 SPs (say around CL7 with INT at 18/50) a nearly zero-risk game against monsters with no ranged attacks as, by the time their mana is depleted, the Magestaff is recharged and ready to give them another 10 SP...
20+d20 sounds a bit high to me. At 10+d5, you can just about get away without having to rest for mana (you can recharge every 15 steps as you run away ), which makes for a much more fun game until you get 'clear mind'.

By all means make it a bit longer if you think it is too easy, but I don't think it is that far out.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 15:14   #39
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
I suppose it depends on how easy you think the early game should be - having near-infinite mana while running away just feels a little cheesy.
As a side issue, does the Magestaff activation work for other classes too, if they find one?
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009, 15:25   #40
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,915
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
I suppose it depends on how easy you think the early game should be - having near-infinite mana while running away just feels a little cheesy.
As a side issue, does the Magestaff activation work for other classes too, if they find one?
Do it too much in the wilderness and you will die: a running battle is not necessarily compatible with the primary strategy of sneaking around. (You'll run into one of those horrible 'p's or 'h's (yellow perils?), and that will be that.)

Last edited by Pete Mack; August 11, 2009 at 15:31.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAangband 0.3.6 Nick Variants 306 August 9, 2009 05:32
FAangband 0.3.3 Nick Variants 49 May 17, 2008 19:49
FAangband 0.3.2 Nick Variants 14 March 4, 2008 23:07
FAangband 0.3.1 Nick Variants 7 February 2, 2008 21:19
FAangband 0.3.0 Nick Variants 127 January 23, 2008 01:20


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.