Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2009, 21:47   #61
Chryana
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Chryana is on a distinguished road
Hi. Congratulations for reaching the 1.0 release. I have not played FAangband much, to be honest, but I have been following its development to some extent, and downloaded and compiled every new release. Your Angband variant is certainly one of those with the most active development. That being said, I've been running into trouble with the latest release... When I try to run the executable with the -mgcu command line option, I get the error message "The 'lib' directory is probably missing or broken.". If I try the -mx11 option, the message is "Couldn't load the requested font. (8x16x)", which is obviously incorrect, since there a 8x16x.fon file in the font folder. Also, I can't compile with the file Makefile.std.... It's ok I guess since I can build the game with the Makefile in the root directory, but I've not seen any variant yet which I could compile at all where that file wouldn't work until now. Anyways, thank you very much.

Last edited by Chryana; August 12, 2009 at 21:48. Reason: trying to set a subject... too late, can't do that :(
Chryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 01:28   #62
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,141
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryana View Post
When I try to run the executable with the -mgcu command line option, I get the error message "The 'lib' directory is probably missing or broken.". If I try the -mx11 option, the message is "Couldn't load the requested font. (8x16x)", which is obviously incorrect, since there a 8x16x.fon file in the font folder. Also, I can't compile with the file Makefile.std....
OK, looks like I have some tidying up to do there. The preferred linux option (preferred by me, anyway) is to configure with --enable-sdl; then it runs using the SDL frontend by default. I guess I haven't said that anywhere, either.

In fact, here is the current best way to set up in linux:
Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sdl
make 
make install (you may have to do this as root, or using sudo, or whatever)
I will be aiming to get the other options cleaned up before putting out a bugfix, though.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 09:54   #63
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
If you're in the mood for minor bugfixes / more lines for the Complainer, it looks as if the numbers for the quiver slots still aren't working right (in XP).

At the moment, as since 0.3.0, I think, you can't access a quiver number directly from the first relevant menu but you can by pressing '*' and then the number. Cosmetic, admittedly, but that's what Complainers are for...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 12:31   #64
Chryana
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Chryana is on a distinguished road
I finally got it working thanks to your instructions... I had to copy the file 12x20.fon to the font directory from another variant to get it working, though. I would like to make a request for the next release... As it is right now, I have no choice but to issue a "make install" to get FAangband to work. I'm used to copy the complete directory with a variant to /usr/local/games and then create a small script to get the game going from there, but that doesn't work with FAangband, since it seems the path is hard coded on compilation to /usr/local/share/$foo... Would it be possible to allow the game to run without having to install it for the next release? Thank you very much.
Chryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 14:55   #65
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,141
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
If you're in the mood for minor bugfixes / more lines for the Complainer, it looks as if the numbers for the quiver slots still aren't working right (in XP).
Well, if you're in the mood for adventure, you can test a possible fix. If you have a version of Vanilla - anything from 3.0.8 on will do - copy the pref-win.prf file from that into your FA lib/pref folder. This should fix the quiver selection problem (also option and knowledge screen selection), but may make you game crash when you use commands involving a direction - tunnelling, running etc. You may recall this crash from such versions as 0.3.0. I'm hoping it was a pref handling issue, and that the fact that I've taken pref handling from V in this version means that it won't happen any more. But I would keep the old pref-win.prf, and set autosave if you choose to accept this mission.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 15:04   #66
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,141
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryana View Post
I'm used to copy the complete directory with a variant to /usr/local/games and then create a small script to get the game going from there, but that doesn't work with FAangband, since it seems the path is hard coded on compilation to /usr/local/share/$foo...
I think you should be able to achieve this by setting the environment variable ANGBAND_PATH to /usr/local/games/faangband/.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 15:21   #67
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Well, if you're in the mood for adventure, you can test a possible fix. If you have a version of Vanilla - anything from 3.0.8 on will do - copy the pref-win.prf file from that into your FA lib/pref folder. This should fix the quiver selection problem (also option and knowledge screen selection), but may make you game crash when you use commands involving a direction - tunnelling, running etc. You may recall this crash from such versions as 0.3.0. I'm hoping it was a pref handling issue, and that the fact that I've taken pref handling from V in this version means that it won't happen any more. But I would keep the old pref-win.prf, and set autosave if you choose to accept this mission.
Sounds good to me - I'll have a go over the weekend...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009, 15:28   #68
Mr.Peanut
Scout
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44
Mr.Peanut is on a distinguished road
Wow! That is a massive update! I kept checking the board every month or so wondering when 0.3.7 would be released, and suddenly, blip, 1.0.0! You say it is just a number, but it does have meaning when so much work has gone into it.

I eagerly await the DS release.

Last edited by Mr.Peanut; August 13, 2009 at 15:35.
Mr.Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2009, 16:05   #69
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
The DVG tileset included in the original FAAngband 1.0.0 release had quite a bit of background (dithering) noise, that some, including myself, found quite annoying. If you have noticed it, and want it gone, grab the 'clean' 32x32.bmp from the usual place.

NICK, you'll want to include this replacement with you next bugfix release.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009, 10:42   #70
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,141
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Peanut View Post
I eagerly await the DS release.
Yes, I have apparently forgotten how to compile for the DS - you can expect the DS release when my brain comes back from its holiday.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAangband 0.3.6 Nick Variants 306 August 9, 2009 05:32
FAangband 0.3.3 Nick Variants 49 May 17, 2008 19:49
FAangband 0.3.2 Nick Variants 14 March 4, 2008 23:07
FAangband 0.3.1 Nick Variants 7 February 2, 2008 21:19
FAangband 0.3.0 Nick Variants 127 January 23, 2008 01:20


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.