AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 4, 2014, 13:34   #11
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I started a new Crystal drake to test out the new Dragon Realms. However, my breath now appears as a bolt attack...is this new? Does that mean I can no longer attack multiple monsters with one breath? I don't recall seeing this before 3.2.x.
Dragon hatchlings can only belch a bolt of their element. As they mature, this bolt becomes a beam and then a cone (radius 2). Ultimately they gain the full radius 3 breath attack. This is a new change to partially compensate the fact that dragons now have a spell pool to pay their breath casting costs.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 05:18   #12
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
If you want spoilers, you can look here though the details have probably changed a bit since that was written.
(In general, I don't like spoilers and won't be doing any for Poscheng. If players feel they need them, there is probably something wrong with the game and I'd rather address the underlying issues instead.)
Thanks! Some things I'd figured out rightly, but a lot was way off. It was never clear to me that I was rolling a save when attempting an action while feared. Instead, I had believed that it was binary, you're either so afraid that you 100% fail to act or not afraid enough and so 100% to succeed. Thus, it felt really awful when the game told me I wasted a turn failing to try to attack, because I wrongly thought that the game knew I had a 0% chance and just ate my turn instead of prompting me for a different action.

The core of the feelbad was that I didn't know I was even rolling a save. It may be against your design philosophy, but my first thought would be to show the result of the roll you make, perhaps before modifiers. Or some flavorful indicator of how close it was...you barely manage to summon the will to attack//you nearly strike out but shudder at the last second sort of thing.

I get where you're coming from in not wanting spoilers, and I definitely enjoy finding new things on my own in the game, one of the major draws of a content-loaded variant, but I also enjoy being able to for example toss together a debug mode character to test specific things that my wandering mind comes up with. I'd be useful to learn where fixed drops are (e.g. stages of the arena, Labyrinth, etc) that experienced players know to gun for (and also when to stop...next monster in the arena is a huge jump in power LOL F U player! type of thing). It's weird to me that one might look down on looking things up, but not on getting advice.

Again, a big thanks for the pointer to the fear info. Now I can make educated guesses about the risks I'm taking or not taking instead of just getting lucky or feeling awful and not knowing what was behind those things.

Last edited by krazyhades; May 6, 2014 at 01:04.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:03   #13
Nivim
Apprentice

Nivim is on a distinguished road
Conditional failure messages would be good; something that gave you "almost"-"barely" sorts of messages based on the margin you success or fail at-- probably with just 3-5 categories, and incorporated into whatever the usual messages would be.

Focus on this sort of thing is just what you get when you're offering people a snotling challenge.
Nivim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 09:49   #14
Tulip
Scout

Tulip is on a distinguished road
I got all the way up to level 24 before realizing my defensive crystal drake had 'm' spells, I feel so silly.

Also, is there a way to make the trees less nuclear green? They hurt my eyes.

Last edited by Tulip; May 5, 2014 at 11:21.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 12:30   #15
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Also, is there a way to make the trees less nuclear green? They hurt my eyes.
Are you using ASCII? You can control the colors in a preference file. Trees are currently defined to use the light green color in lib\edit\f_info.txt (N:96). What exactly light green means is controlled by lib\pref\colors.prf. I've never edited these myself as I use tiles but it appears the last 3 fields on the V: line are RGB values for the color in question. Edit these and restart the game.

If you are using tiles then you probably need to edit the bitmap directly to change the colors used.
Old May 6, 2014, 01:01   #16
krazyhades
Swordsman

Oh good to know. I've tried to change the game's blue color to a brighter blue (it's hard for me to see on the 2 computers I've played on) through the ingame color options, but that would only let me swap between the colors already in the game's palette.

Today I learned. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2014, 17:58   #17
fred
Rookie

fred is on a distinguished road
Steel dragon Stompinator. 'You stomp on The Destroyer, The Destroyer dies.' Big, slow, stupid. Low fixed number of attacks. Gain mass through eating heavy weaponry, increasing damage. Magic...maybe a trade off between short-long term combat enhancement and a corresponding decrease in speed. Immune to speed boosting from any source?
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 20:09   #18
Tulip
Scout

Tulip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
Steel dragon Stompinator. 'You stomp on The Destroyer, The Destroyer dies.' Big, slow, stupid. Low fixed number of attacks. Gain mass through eating heavy weaponry, increasing damage. Magic...maybe a trade off between short-long term combat enhancement and a corresponding decrease in speed. Immune to speed boosting from any source?
How about having the speed boosts halved (rounding down)?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 20:10   #19
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

I really wanted to do an Autoroller type class. This way, *you* could be the Ultimate Dungeon Cleaner

Here's my latest idea which is a variant on The Possessor:

The Mimic. This is a player monster race and is pretty bland normally, though not helpless (More like a human tourist). However, it can mimic nearby monsters (which works like possessing corpses does). Once the copied monster is no longer around, your memory of the form slowly fades, and you revert to your normal self. In addition, you get a small chance of learning a form permanently when killing a foe. But you only have a handful of slots for learned forms, so eventually you will have to replace an existing form with the new one. Mimicry runs off Dex and requires a periodic saving throw to maintain the current form (Weaker forms become automatic eventually). The powers and abilities you gain as well as your body type work just like with the Possessor.

The advantages over the possessor are that you can mimic just about anything (Demons, Angels, Undead, etc). But the downside is that your forms are less permanent (and can be dispelled).

Thoughts?
Old May 6, 2014, 20:27   #20
krazyhades
Swordsman

Seems interesting. Don't you already have the ability to mimic from doppelgangers?