Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 8, 2018, 20:07   #1
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Jesus of Gondor is on a distinguished road
A humble High Elf Ranger looking for advice

Hello guys! It's been a while i haven't posted, but anyway iŽll get straight to the point

I'm leaving my character dump so you guys can check my gear... so well which weapon is better for my character? Aglarang or anguirel?

My dilemma here is that i love Aglarang, it boosts my speed and my dexterity so well that i'm nearly untouchable but the downside about her is that it doesn't provides me the resistances and the other stat/slay boosts Anguirel gives me.

I get 6 blows with Aglarang but a little less damage (270.8 per blow) but with anguirel i deal much damage to creatures not resistant to poison and evil creatures but way poor damage to others.. and with anguirel i just have 5.7 blows, yeah there isn't much difference but i don't know. Besides i get more speed with aglarang and that's important but the other sword looks so hot! XD

Besides i would love if someone of you would give me an advice of what should i do now? which gear should i have all the time and what do i have to focus to look for, any tip i would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Halion.txt (17.4 KB, 5 views)
Jesus of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 20:26   #2
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

here's my dump at the ladder... sorry

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22068
Old November 8, 2018, 20:40   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
When you are at low speed, a +speed weapon has a huge payoff. At higher speed, the incremental damage boost is much less per game turn (which is the metric of use here.) Avavir is not a bad replacement, however. In any case, you don't actually need any more resists with Himring + Celegorm, and melee damage is very much a secondary issue for a ranger. So yes: Aglarang is your best choice.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 21:27   #4
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
When you are at low speed, a +speed weapon has a huge payoff. At higher speed, the incremental damage boost is much less per game turn (which is the metric of use here.) Avavir is not a bad replacement, however. In any case, you don't actually need any more resists with Himring + Celegorm, and melee damage is very much a secondary issue for a ranger. So yes: Aglarang is your best choice.
Thank you very much pal! so you think i should swap celegorm to anarion? it's just that celegorm is my only item that provides me resistance blindness but anarion sustains my stats... so i have to focus on finding more items that gives me speed like rings and looking potions of constitution? i have to say.. legendary dragons like smaug or Itangast gave me lot of trouble that i had to always escape.. what should i do right now? i never reached too far with a Ranger and a i don't want him to get murdered xD
Old November 8, 2018, 21:32   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

If you are regularly getting stat drained as a ranger, you are playing wrong.
Old November 9, 2018, 00:45   #6
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
If you are regularly getting stat drained as a ranger, you are playing wrong.
Ok, got it, thank you so much!
Old November 9, 2018, 06:04   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

This is not to say you should ignore sustains: S_STR is probably worth having as a swap at least. The others, not so much. DEX drain is rare (Liches and not much else.) CON drain is more common, bit less important. Anarion *might* be worth giving up rDark. But that is a pretty useful resistance.
Old November 9, 2018, 19:04   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The main use case for Anarion is meleeing Morgoth, since he hits to drain all stats. But that's also an activity that most rangers will not participate in. If there's one thing that rangers are the best class at, it's killing Morgoth. With archery.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018, 18:38   #9
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Thank you guys for clearing me out! so well i've reached lvl 40, i will try to survive and get all the loot i can, still stuck with Aglarang, but i've found the beaked axe of Hurin, Orcrist and Hithlomir... but i guess i'll stay with Himring ;3

Anyway... thank you very much... i'll post an update of Halion later so you guys can check it out!

Cheers!
Old November 11, 2018, 19:37   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Ooh. Hurin is a fantastic, near-endgame weapon. I am about to use it to kill Sauron. (It is not good vs. Morgoth.) Aglarang may be better for now, as you have few sources of speed. But not for long.

A DL 40 ranger can kill pretty much any monster, assuming a decent bow. You will also need dungeon spellbooks: Resistances of Scarabtrices and Tenser's transformations are the most important, followed by Mordy's Escapes, and Kelek' Grimoire (for *Destructuon*.) Raal's is useless.