Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 17, 2018, 11:21   #71
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Looking again, it's quite literally distance for pathfinding? The stealth check happens further down?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018, 17:23   #72
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I have a theory: If you make everything native to dlvl 10 twice as rare except the wolf then halve the pack size then you'll get less junk monsters and more small packs of wolves surrounding you. Just looking at dlvl 10 there's nothing there I wouldn't be happy to see less off.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018, 09:11   #73
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I have a theory: If you make everything native to dlvl 10 twice as rare except the wolf then halve the pack size then you'll get less junk monsters and more small packs of wolves surrounding you. Just looking at dlvl 10 there's nothing there I wouldn't be happy to see less off.
Err.. in my games it feels like I'm battling wolves over and over again at any depth. So maybe not
Old October 23, 2018, 21:24   #74
Aszazin
Rookie

Aszazin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]Human, Dunadan: So we have two types of human. Fine. Potentially we could look at having more, or different ones, or reconsidering stat bonuses and abilities.
What I like about the (standard) human race is that is an empty page without experience penalty on it's own. That way the chosen class can evolve more rapidly. I think it would be more interesting to expand on different classes when it comes to the human race. Some more 'technical' class would be nice for instance (good in "craft" (enhancing armor/weapons), manipulating traps, shooting devices, identifying. Intelligent but not able to use the mystical kind of magic only material manipulations.
Such a class would probably be very dwarf-minded too.
Any other kind of class might be nice, although I think vanilla shouldn't have 6 classes of mage, 10 types of warriors, etc. Any possible extra class should be different enough.

Quote:
[*]Dwarf: Basically fine. Possibly we could have more than one type. My main gripe here is stats. Dwarves are skilled at crafts and clever at designing things, but don't necessarily make the best choices - I would expect plusses to INT and DEX and minus to WIS, and they are currently the opposite of these.
Strong, intelligent and dexterous, but not able to use magic in a decent way. I refer to the 'technical' class I mentioned above, where intelligence is used to manipulate armor, weapons. At start just to-hit , damage and AC, but a weapon can be technically manipulated to be more efficient against orcs/trolls/... (slay), be balanced to obtain extra speed or attacks, be sharpened to cut of limbs of enemies, ...
Someone has to make these things, you know!

Quote:
[*]Half Elf: Tolkien makes a big deal of the fact that there were only three unions of Elf and Human (Beren/Luthien, Tuor/Idril, Aragorn/Arwen), but that can be written off as only three prominent ones (especially since he implies that the people of Dol Amroth have elven blood). On the other hand, what is this race actually adding, and would it be better to have another type of elf or human? I'm open to be convinced either way.
I like the human race because what I explained above, but I don't like it's complete lack of infravision. That's why I play a half-elf. I like the idea. I don't like the name. It's a human with Elvish blood, but half-elf is indeed more practical as term.

Quote:
[*]Gnome: Here we have a problem. This is a D&D race with nothing in common with anything in Middle Earth, except in as far as they're derivative of both hobbits and dwarves. Also "gnome" was Tolkien's name for the Noldor for a long time. Need to go.[*]Kobold: Just no.
Yes, gnomes can go.
Kobolds aren't needed either.

However, I actually would like an undead race in the game.
Aszazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 21:53   #75
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
How about Haradrim, since there is a corresponding blackguard class?
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 21:30   #76
Narry
Rookie

Narry is on a distinguished road
Here are my two cents:

- Being faithful to Tolkien's lore is a good thing, but following it too too strictly might decrease the fun in the game.

- Since Tolkien mentioned a few unions between a human and an elf, although rare, I think that gives enough reason to keep Half Elf as a race. Another consideration is: Does it enrich the game? Is there something interesting in the race that makes a player who has tried Human and/or Elven characters to try it?

- I agree on adding a Wood Elf. Possibly worth considering: Mist Elf.

- On classes: I would love to play a character who relies on bows but cannot cast spells, i.e. current Ranger minus casting.

- On monsters: I might be in minority in this, but I *hate* summoners who summon summoners. There seems to be no other option but to teleport them away.

- In my last two long games of 4.1.0, stun resistance was painfully difficult to find. Please add it to some items.
Narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 23:17   #77
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
In the last couple 4.1.2-dirty games I have found a lot of pStun. My current game I am rocking two immunities and pStun on a single RandArt ring. I usually find a crown of serenity in most of my games, though I never wear them. Sometimes, but pretty rare, I get them on a good ego item like a Lorien bow. There are lots of {ego} items that have the potential to have pStun on them.

I think a bookless Ranger is a good idea.