Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 28, 2018, 17:25   #11
Ancient Yeek
Rookie

Ancient Yeek is on a distinguished road
Only time so far I've found the one ring was in an undead pit. My tactic was to throw a draining orb in then teleport across the level and wait for whatever got mad to come fight me. Druj's I always try to teleport away I'll only deal with them if they're on their own. They're such a headache...

Maybe the new curse that prevents teleportation could be useful to stop you being teleported into the room
Ancient Yeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 17:45   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Drujs are best banished if you have the option. I'm prepared to waste a ?banishment for them if I think the loot is equivilent or better. You can use an endgame consumable if it earns you a replacement after all.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 23:58   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The monsters in a pit are always awake. If you need to obliterate an undead pit.
1. Drop any critical wands and staffs somewhere safe so they won't get drained.
2. Equip your amulet of sustenance (or equivalent). Put on rNether, rDark swaps if you have them.
3. Go into a hallway somewhere where the powerful PASS_WALL monsters will find you, but the others won't. Destroy them. Hope there is no Black Reaver. If there is a Reaver, make sure you are out of LOS of everything else when ot arrives, and plan on plenty of healing. Or banish L with a staff or armor. Or run away!
4. Get closer, where the other monsters can get to you. Destroy them as they come around the corner (or make a short ASC.)
5. Use LOS abuse on the drujs, digging holes in the moat walls as necessary. Start near a corner, and work backwards.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2018, 12:41   #14
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Digging and abuse of LOS should allow anyone with ball spells to kill any stationary enemy, given enough patience. It may not always suffice if you only have straight-line ranged attacks, though.

But I'm firmly of the opinion that this is one of those things you just leave be if you have any option to do so.
+1 from me
Old September 1, 2018, 12:44   #15
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
I just lost a char to a small undead pit. Char was a HT paladin, level 38, dlevel 75, small room with 5x6 or so random undead. I know these rooms can be very dangerous ;-)
I had already killed a Dreadmaster and various other random G, standing in a corridor leading towards the room and killed the first few non wall passers. From detection I knew there was one master lich and 4 'e', I think 2 skull druj and 2 hand druj left (plus random harmless stuff) in the room.
The master lich cast teleport to and then I was hit by water 3 times before I got a turn. 400+ remaining hitpoints to dead.
Key question: the master lich (as any other monster) needs to have line of sight of me in order to cast anything? It is not sufficient, that it just knows where I am (through telepathy or something)?
Bad luck count: I had speed +21, drujs have +10? They cast spells 1 in 2 times? They have multiple spells to choose from, water is only one of them? So what are the odds that 3 out of 4 cast water at me before I get a turn?
Feature request: show the entire dungeon level including all monsters upon death. (I hope this doesn't exist already and I overlooked it). As is I never got to see the spot where my char died and which monsters actually hit me. This feature would also help better understand death from of screen situations.
+1 from me for the last statement, for the player it is frustrating to get killed and being unable to know why or what hit him (and it prevents that the player learns from his mistakes).
Old September 1, 2018, 14:46   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

The details don't mattet: what was fatal was the Teleport To spell. Don't fight undead in the moat of a pit. Let them come to you, well away from the pit. Fight the G ajd other passwall monsters first, as rhey come through the walls.
Old September 4, 2018, 23:51   #17
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The details don't mattet: what was fatal was the Teleport To spell. Don't fight undead in the moat of a pit. Let them come to you, well away from the pit. Fight the G ajd other passwall monsters first, as rhey come through the walls.
At least until Black Reavers obsolete that strategy...
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2018, 04:17   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Well yeah. 'L' is why there are staffs of banishment.