Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 7, 2008, 13:02   #11
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
There's little point in wearing a Wisdom amulet unless you are a Priest/Paladin.
Personally I would not wear the gloves of Power as I'd rather have more mana for casting Haste and Resistance spells but it's up to you. You can sell the *thanc daggers, but hang on to Rilia for now, and try enchanting it up if you do wield it. It offers resistances which can be hard to find so it's a decent weapon for characters who don't melee everything. Obviously you'll need to find another source of SI and FA before you can use it.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2008, 14:08   #12
Shade
Rookie

Shade is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

I did actually replace the amulet, I found an amulet of regeneration which helps a lot after she gave up the 'Paurhach' for the 'Power'. Sushi fails fairly often on identify and on resistance. Actually, she hardly ever gets resistance up going into fights as I only cast it once, and if she fails, then I let it go rather than use up all the mana. I do a lot of melee with her too, since she has 5/turn now with melee (+39/+32), but her armour is low at the moment, [35, +56] (she has had it up to +65). If she takes off the gloves it goes down to [34, +49] and I'm afraid it's getting too low, as well, her Melee ability drops to (+30, +26) which is significant? I haven't been getting many scrolls at all in the shops of late, so she's low on AC due to not being able to enchant back up after taking a pounding from various hounds and I really really hate those acidious things (the jelly?) I'm almost tempeted to wear the acid ring (Compedum (?)) that activates for more acid protection as those things really give you a beating and you spend all your time trying to up back up the AC. The damage she does shooting is (+39,+7) without the gloves, while it is (+48, +7) with. That's pretty significant too on 3/turn shots.

I think I'll work toward getting rid of them, but at this stage I think she's a little too weak still without them? OK, the mana difference is 90 vs. 122, so that's 32 SP which I could use toward getting an extra resistance cast in but it isn't a whole resistance cast, which costs 40 mana, but of course if I cast it twice I'm left with 42 SP, whereas before casting once leaves me with 50 to work with, so in the end she hasn't quite reached the threshold I think for it to make sense without the gloves?.

OK, well, that's some insight into my thinking, I'm a really a newbie that has played a few times over the years (although played other similar type games).

Would love to hear what you think about the reasoning going on there?

OK, well...Sushi has just found her first Lich...let's see what happens.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2008, 14:20   #13
Shade
Rookie

Shade is on a distinguished road
Oh...Lich a piece of cake! Sushi just kept firing arrows with (+8 +9) into him and was able to absorb it all without a problem. Thank goodness he was alone though, I can see he'd be a pain in a pack.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2008, 15:58   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Note that you can get almost the same benefits out of carrying !Heroism or ?Bless as you can out of the gloves of power. You can sell those *Thancs. You are unlikely to want to use them at this point. (For Ranger, Westernesse is better.)

As for Acidic Cytoplasms, teleport either you or them.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008, 05:08   #15
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post

As for Acidic Cytoplasms, teleport either you or them.
With the usual proviso that in 99.9% of cases it is better to send the enemy to parts unknown rather than yourself!

I usually find that if I am happy to go to a random place... it is better off being a random place on a different level (as in teleport level or running up/down stairs)
Old April 11, 2008, 23:25   #16
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Though the law of averages means you'll end up in that roomful of hounds sooner or later.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008, 01:08   #17
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
Though the law of averages means you'll end up in that roomful of hounds sooner or later.
I still reckon that no matter what if you go > or < and come out in a room then no matter what your energy you should get one go before anything else in the room.

I hate the
You go downstairs.
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
You die
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
-More-
The air hound breathes
Old April 12, 2008, 01:21   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
I still reckon that no matter what if you go > or < and come out in a room then no matter what your energy you should get one go before anything else in the room.
The next version of FAangband I'm making (experimentally) > and < use no energy.