Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 12, 2007, 21:44   #11
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
> That said, I like this a lot, so far. Reminds me, in some way, of IVAN. Have not made it past DL6, keep running out of torches, not finding enough of them. Maybe a spell in the 1st book, "Create Torch" or "Refuel" would be nice?

Hi

Glad you're enjoying it.

Try switching to the Beta release, you will find a few more light sources and it is generally a better game. Yes 'Magelight' is a spell in one of the dungeonbooks, but in the Beta you often find enough torches that you never need it.

> Also (and my beef with NPP, too) is that there is no "running" through sand. Gonna wear out my keypad by tapping 14 times to move 14 squares. Getting across a level takes a lot of tapping.

Yeah I know, I find that annoying too.

> Oh, and I am playing w/ archers/slingers mainly so far, and only played High Elf.

Cool. But try another race for a different game experience - everyone is playing High Elves so far

A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2007, 15:41   #12
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Ironband's been the first *Band at playing IRONMAN. and the funny bit is that i've been playing the Comp 55 char the same way!

it isnt easy, its QUITE frustrating after the ease of shops, but as a (relative) new player, i'd say its just balanced between throwing the keyboard at the pet iguana and sailing through , using my big toes ....

but for experienced players , the pointers do make sense i suppose. anyway, Ironman isnt a mode for beginners ....

so more joy to the players and the maintainer!
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2007, 17:57   #13
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
Ironband's been the first *Band at playing IRONMAN. and the funny bit is that i've been playing the Comp 55 char the same way!
Second. There's also Ingband, a V2.8.3 fork that was subsequently obsoleted by ironman options in later V.

Ironband is a far more substantial effort.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2007, 20:05   #14
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
> it isnt easy, its QUITE frustrating after the ease of shops, but as a (relative) new player, i'd say its just balanced between throwing the keyboard at the pet iguana and sailing through , using my big toes ....

Excellent, that's just what I was going for (except I don't have an iguana)

A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2007, 16:02   #15
Taqq
Rookie

Taqq is on a distinguished road
Posted my first dump ever to the ladder. (Galamon)

As stated there, my likes:
The tiles - I hope other variants adopt this idea, or the ones from Sang. (Un especially)
The arrow-firing trap - quite a nice surprise.

Dislikes - none so far

Suggestions:
-Extinguishable/lightable lightsources, so I don't have to overflow my pack when I remove the lamp or torch.
-Get rid of the Gold display entirely, or (this could be a birth option) an in-dungeon supplies store or Black Market.
-I don't seem to be getting any XP for $$ I've found by digging treasure out of veins, though I suspect it's giving me values less than 1. What's the ratio of gold to XP?
-I want to run through sand.
Taqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2007, 21:32   #16
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Unless this is different from Vanilla, there is no experience gained by digging gold.
Old December 15, 2007, 23:09   #17
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
I've been giving Iron a try, and I posted a dump this morning. Haven't had a chance to play today so it is still up-to-date. I'm only at 1250', so my observations are kind of incomplete, but I'll offer them up. I'm pretty unspoiled for Iron, which is a bit of a switch for me- I've been playing V for a while, so I understand the game mechanics there pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Unless this is different from Vanilla, there is no experience gained by digging gold.

It is different, in that gold gives XP in Iron. The mechanic seems to be a bit more complicated than just gold to XP though- is there a threshold above which a drop has to be to give XP, at a given clvl/dlvl? I've noticed that after a certain point no copper or silver drops gave XP at all, even if the amount seemed like it should have been enough to do so.

On the whole I haven't been finding Iron very difficult so far, for an Ironman variant. But I've been playing conservatively and mostly clearing levels (skipped a troll pit, and left an arena level pretty early as it was just too dangerous). I expect it will get quite a bit harder once the dangerous stuff comes into depth though, and I imagine that must be soon, since I'm halfway through the dungeon. I lack rCold still, which may be a problem soon. But with Caspanion and the couple points I have put into Int recently the fail rate on the spell is fine now, so I just have to be careful.

A couple of things I've noticed: the revamped poison is pretty nasty at the earlier levels. Phase Spiders are a bit out of control, actually. The combination of tele_to, dodge, and poison may be a bit much, unless you intend that they be the most dangerous thing at their depth- without dodge it wouldn't be that big a deal. OTOH, if I'd known this I would have used a slot to collect neutralize poison potions. As it was I didn't want to burn !CCW on them, so for a while most of my mana was spent casting Cure Serious wounds while waiting for poisoning to go away. If I hadn't had that book by the point the Phase Spiders came into depth I don't think I would have survived.

I'm out of !CCW entirely atm. I've found a reasonable number, but I've had a couple of run-ins with Cold Hounds (I've found 10 !Speed, I think, haven't used any yet, and am down to 6, so that should give you an idea). At 1200' I entered a medium sized vault where I had to deal with a blinder a poisoner and a confuser at the same time, and wound up burning my last 3. I also had my most dangerous encounter so far, with a storm giant, and wound up having to quaff the only !Healing I've found so far- any other action would have risked death. I have Caspanion now, so my fear is blindness atm. I don't want to have to quaff !*Healing* to un-blind.

The biggest change I've noticed is the non-instantaneous escape spells. This really is a pretty big change, and forces very conservative play (this is also why I had to quaff !Healing- I had a turn or two to fail in, so I could have portaled, but I didn't have time to wait, and phasing would have risked death). I am close to having a decent fail on tele_other now though- that is instant right? Haven't tried it yet, as before Caspanion the fail rate was enough to make it useless. Anyway, I'm not sure what I think about that change yet- my impression is that it tends to make luck a bigger factor.

Sling ammo seems plentiful, arrows a bit less so, and bolts quite a lot rarer. For quite a while I was carrying three shooters so I could avoid using up bolts except when I really needed the stopping power. I also think I might have made a mistake in killing a light xbow of xtra might (+8 to_dam) for the current shooter... this would probably have been correct in V even with the increased ammo usage but since I can get more than one shot a round with a xbow... I don't understand the fractional blows system btw... is it like speed?

I was a bit surprised to see how hard Detect Monsters was to cast when I found that book, but I guess detect animals and detect evil cover most of the important stuff between them. I also noticed that it got a lot easier when I went up just a few Int points. It seems like a lot of the spell failure rates have really sharp Int breakpoints- just a couple points can take them from useless to reliable. I've been putting points into Int since I realized that.

Also, and I don't know if this is just the RNG, or if this is a normal thing, for a long time I couldn't find much useful. Then I went from 11 Luck to 16 Luck and passed 1000' and it seemed like every unique was dropping an artifact (Golfimbul dropped both the star and Throt). Is Luck that important? Depth? I haven't put any points into Luck, as I wasn't sure how important it was, but I've been using equipment to increase it... maybe I should use some points on it, though I think I need to start prioritizing Con now- some of those Perception->Con potions would come in handy.

Anyway, my dump is here http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=7296

I need to get rid of some stuff. I've been wielding dagmor, for the blows (with two rings of damage I figured that would be big). But, trying out Throt, the damage seems closer than I would have expected- paired with the % +ses in the character screen (which I find confusing... % of what?). Are you using some variabnt of O combat? I'm having a hard time figuring out which weapon is better without completely understanding the combat system.

Anyway, Caspanion is too good not to wear, but I've been getting FA from my body armor, so I need to switch weapons. I'm guessing Dagmor can go, though the two extra blows would be big with my current kit in V. Still leaves hard choices. Gwendohil would be clearly better than Gondolin if it had better slays, but without them... still, I'm hesitant to pitch anything with execute_undead when the final baddie is undead. Throt looks pretty nice actually, nicer than its store price indicates, though I'm still not sure about the effect of big dice in Iron. Totila is really heavy, and I can't wield it and keep FA at the moment, but I think it is a keeper. The Elec Immunity and brand along with execute dragon and the activation... very useful.

Anyway, there's more to say, but this post is already pretty long. Oh, btw, I did compile from source on Linux (saw something in the ladder about problems with that)... the one thing I had a problem with was the fonts. I have an npp installation though, so I copied the fonts.dir over and then things worked.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2007, 22:53   #18
Sealer
Rookie

Sealer is on a distinguished road
Somehow the only reason why I don't play IRON'band is that I run out of fuel/food easily.
Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2007, 16:48   #19
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
I don't know if this is a bug, a feature, or just mean.

"Your quiver is cursed" is a highly unpleasant message, especially when you the cursed ammo isn't even of the correct type. Is this correct behavior? Could I shoot the cursed ammo if I had the right launcher?
Old December 30, 2007, 21:26   #20
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
"Your quiver is cursed" is a highly unpleasant message, especially when you the cursed ammo isn't even of the correct type. Is this correct behavior? Could I shoot the cursed ammo if I had the right launcher?
My understanding of this (and assuming it is the same as NPP quiver behaviour) is that nothing from the quiver an be used until the curse is removed. This seems a little harsh for Iron.