Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2007, 22:41   #21
ekolis
Knight
 
ekolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Age: 34
Posts: 911
ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Not really, since in Ironband, pseudo-ID comes much quicker than in V... it just teaches you to be patient and not impulsively wield everything you find
__________________
You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
You are surrounded by a stasis field!
The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 03:39   #22
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer
 
camlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 522
camlost is on a distinguished road
pseudo-ID doesn't reveal curses in Iron... At least not anytime for me. Usually they pseudo as good.
__________________
a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}
camlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 13:44   #23
darkdrone
Apprentice
 
darkdrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Nick:

oddly i was able to fire the cursed pebbles from the sling .... might have to check back again though!

aeneas:

yes IIRC, Luck defines how often you get artifacts ...
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007, 13:57   #24
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,138
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
Nick:

oddly i was able to fire the cursed pebbles from the sling .... might have to check back again though!
OK, I may well have that wrong - I'm basing it on discussion at TONPPAFS over a year ago... Other quivers (eg O/FA) have that you can fire or throw cursed quivered ammo and weapons, so maybe that's how it works. Or maybe I should wait for someone who actually knows something to answer, but why start now?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 00:40   #25
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 992
Antoine is on a distinguished road
> Somehow the only reason why I don't play IRON'band is that I run out of fuel/food easily.

You can usually avoid this with a bit of skill/luck - especially in the new (beta) version.

Eventually you'll find some Satisfy Hunger scrolls and the Phial or a Glowing Pebble and then you'll be fine. The dungeon spellbooks also have magic to create food and light.

A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 00:42   #26
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 992
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqq View Post
Posted my first dump ever to the ladder. (Galamon)

As stated there, my likes:
The tiles - I hope other variants adopt this idea, or the ones from Sang. (Un especially)
The arrow-firing trap - quite a nice surprise.

Dislikes - none so far

Suggestions:
-Extinguishable/lightable lightsources, so I don't have to overflow my pack when I remove the lamp or torch.
-Get rid of the Gold display entirely, or (this could be a birth option) an in-dungeon supplies store or Black Market.
-I don't seem to be getting any XP for $$ I've found by digging treasure out of veins, though I suspect it's giving me values less than 1. What's the ratio of gold to XP?
-I want to run through sand.
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Tiles and missile-firing traps are NPP features. I've realised that I've forgotten to put correct tiles for some new items and monsters though - will fix this in the next release.

You don't get XP for low treasure types once you reach a certain level. Copper, for instance, is worthless past the early game.

Running through sand - personally I agree! - this too is a NPP 'feature'.

A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 00:54   #27
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 992
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
I've been giving Iron a try, and I posted a dump this morning. Haven't had a chance to play today so it is still up-to-date. I'm only at 1250', so my observations are kind of incomplete, but I'll offer them up. I'm pretty unspoiled for Iron, which is a bit of a switch for me- I've been playing V for a while, so I understand the game mechanics there pretty well.

...

A couple of things I've noticed: the revamped poison is pretty nasty at the earlier levels. Phase Spiders are a bit out of control, actually.

...

I don't understand the fractional blows system btw... is it like speed?

...

Also, and I don't know if this is just the RNG, or if this is a normal thing, for a long time I couldn't find much useful. Then I went from 11 Luck to 16 Luck and passed 1000' and it seemed like every unique was dropping an artifact (Golfimbul dropped both the star and Throt). Is Luck that important? Depth? ...

...

I need to get rid of some stuff. I've been wielding dagmor, for the blows (with two rings of damage I figured that would be big). But, trying out Throt, the damage seems closer than I would have expected- paired with the % +ses in the character screen (which I find confusing... % of what?). Are you using some variabnt of O combat? I'm having a hard time figuring out which weapon is better without completely understanding the combat system.

...

Anyway, there's more to say, but this post is already pretty long. Oh, btw, I did compile from source on Linux (saw something in the ladder about problems with that)... the one thing I had a problem with was the fonts. I have an npp installation though, so I copied the fonts.dir over and then things worked.

Hi

Glad you're enjoying Iron and that the compile worked (eventually).

You may have a point about Phase SPiders. I'll consider toning them down a bit or push them a bit deeper. Collecting !NeutralisePoision helps (they are pretty common).

Fractional blows - 2.3 blows means you have a 70% chance of getting 2 blows in a round or 30% chance of getting 3 blows.

Melee damage - calculated as (base damage * (100+P+brand+slay)/100) where P is your 'damage %' as shown on the character screen. A 3d6 weapon with slay evil and 300% damage rating does 3d6 x (100 + 300 + 120)/100 - where 120 is the 'slay evil' bonus. Generally you want a heavy weapon, but not so heavy you get reduced blows.

Both Luck and depth are important for drops. You will find quite a lot of arts in the mid game - maybe not so many later on. This is one part of the game that still needs a lot of balancing - any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 04:13   #28
aeneas
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The place of virtuous unbelievers
Posts: 158
aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Hi

Glad you're enjoying Iron and that the compile worked (eventually).

You may have a point about Phase SPiders. I'll consider toning them down a bit or push them a bit deeper. Collecting !NeutralisePoision helps (they are pretty common).
I did enjoy it... and I am notoriously picky, and not known for tact, so that's high praise, from me . I think that the main problem is giving Phase Spiders evasion. I think that evade is a fundamentally bad mechanic, but it's not that significant unless it is paired with other threatening abilities- Phase Spiders are already dangerous in concert with other monsters because they can yank you into a vulnerable position, and the _much_ more dangerous poison adds to the problem. It's just really hard to avoid being badly poisoned by them because you can't kill them easily when they are next to you, and you can't avoid being next to them. Even !neutralize_poison only partly solves the problem, as the poison is so bad that it hurts you on a turn to turn basis- if you take a turn out to quaff you will just wind up poisoned the next turn. Still, without evade it wouldn't be a big deal.



Iron requires almost the opposite of my preferred play-style, so I am unlikely to adopt it as my major variant, but it's a nice (if very time-consuming) change of pace. I have two deep characters going now, one in Eddieband, and one in NPP, and little time to play them, but I will try, again, to win Iron. I won Quick on my first try, and I am a bit disappointed to have died so early with Baran... should mark him as dead. Came _that close_ to killing a Vampire Lord - in retrospect, it was amazingly dumb to fight him at that point... I just didn't want to abandon the level. I don't feel really able to comment on balance without a few games under my belt, and at least one winner- hopefully I will be able to offer better views in a while. Anyway- not to be redundant, but kill evade and I think the Spiders are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Fractional blows - 2.3 blows means you have a 70% chance of getting 2 blows in a round or 30% chance of getting 3 blows.

Melee damage - calculated as (base damage * (100+P+brand+slay)/100) where P is your 'damage %' as shown on the character screen. A 3d6 weapon with slay evil and 300% damage rating does 3d6 x (100 + 300 + 120)/100 - where 120 is the 'slay evil' bonus. Generally you want a heavy weapon, but not so heavy you get reduced blows.
OK- that explains a lot. I had figured the basics out by watching damage and blows, but it's nice to know the details- I wasn't hallucinating when I saw Throt doing better with less blows, and I should have tossed Dagmor earlier. I have such mixed feelings about the various combat systems that I can't say much, generally, about how I feel about that system, but... in Iron I suppose it makes sense as there isn't a defined stat-gain. In V, I think there is a much better argument for the current system than most people credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Both Luck and depth are important for drops. You will find quite a lot of arts in the mid game - maybe not so many later on. This is one part of the game that still needs a lot of balancing - any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
A.
Well- as I said, I think I need to win Iron at least once before I can really give good advice. Good Ironman, or Ironband, play is so much more time consuming than V that I might have to wait a while before I do that. But, based on one character (plus two others on the scoreboard who died very young, of poison, and of forgetting to set an HP warning ) I'd tone down the poison a bit, and look hard at which mobs have evade.

I don't like Luck as a significant attribute, but I can't claim that that is a matter of good or bad design. It's just a preference (though a very strong one) on my part. In fact, I'm guessing that Iron is not likely to be a favorite of mine, long term, mainly for reasons of temperament and preference. I don't mean that as a criticism though... playing Iron has certainly helped me think about some questions in mainline V.

You've certainly done a lot of work and thought a lot about these things- it's interesting to see variants that question _everything_. I think Iron is still raw, but pretty successful, as far as I got anyway . Even if it weren't immediately playable, it would be a valuable comment on Angband... so, many thanks for making it, and I hope that there are some people out there who are are suited to it to such a degree that it becomes their main variant- it would be interesting to see how it evolved with the input of some fanatical players.

EDIT: If there's one thing I would recommend for variant maintainers it is that you should pick up autoconf for Linux/Unix. I was a professional C programmer for quite a few years, so I can generally fix a broken compile, one way or another, if I feel like it... I have to admit that I don't, always. I am, for instance, not afraid to copy NPP's font files into your font directory because I know the provenance of your variant . OTOH, I'd like to try Steam, but thあr知ヴぇI got seems to be missing some header files- I'll let Courtney know (I think s/he must be a cousin, if very distant, so it is the least I can do), but I have very little desire to dig through the makefiles trying to figue out what went wrong- instead I played Eddieband.

EDIT #2: also, since it was 2 weeks ago I have forgotten some things about Iron's magic so... for Iron, wands are only useful if you find them before you find the book with their spell- not a big problem, and that still makes them more useful than V's wands, but I kept some too long. But the, errr... what do you call them? totems? I forget now, but they need to be reduce mana costs proportionate to the spell cost to be useful for very long. Reducing the cost of an expensive spell by 1 mana is not very useful, if you compare it to an inventory slot... I carried a couple against my best instincts, to test- my best instincts were correct.

Last edited by aeneas; January 4, 2008 at 05:17.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 10:35   #29
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 992
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
I did enjoy it... and I am notoriously picky, and not known for tact, so that's high praise, from me . ...

You've certainly done a lot of work and thought a lot about these things- it's interesting to see variants that question _everything_. I think Iron is still raw, but pretty successful, as far as I got anyway . Even if it weren't immediately playable, it would be a valuable comment on Angband... so, many thanks for making it, and I hope that there are some people out there who are are suited to it to such a degree that it becomes their main variant- it would be interesting to see how it evolved with the input of some fanatical players.

EDIT #2: also, since it was 2 weeks ago I have forgotten some things about Iron's magic so... for Iron, wands are only useful if you find them before you find the book with their spell- not a big problem, and that still makes them more useful than V's wands, but I kept some too long. But the, errr... what do you call them? totems? I forget now, but they need to be reduce mana costs proportionate to the spell cost to be useful for very long. Reducing the cost of an expensive spell by 1 mana is not very useful, if you compare it to an inventory slot... I carried a couple against my best instincts, to test- my best instincts were correct.
Thanks for the ups

And - just a comment on talismans - yes, they do already reduce mana costs proportionate to spell cost. For example a Talisman of Lore reduces the cost of *Identify* from 15 to 11. (And, no one seems to have picked up on this, but some magic items have the same function as a Talisman when worn...)

A.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 10:51   #30
aeneas
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The place of virtuous unbelievers
Posts: 158
aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Thanks for the ups

And - just a comment on talismans - yes, they do already reduce mana costs proportionate to spell cost. For example a Talisman of Lore reduces the cost of *Identify* from 15 to 11. (And, no one seems to have picked up on this, but some magic items have the same function as a Talisman when worn...)

A.
Ah- I think I must have been thinking of wands- that is why I shouldn't comment 2 weeks later . As I recall I did keep one of the talismans- the one related to teleporting . If only I had used it to tele_other at the right time... anyway, as I said, I'll play the variant to the end sometime soon, and I'll have better comments then.

Last edited by aeneas; January 4, 2008 at 10:57.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.