Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 2, 2017, 11:37   #31
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
TO is fine. IF a monster comes back, just TO again. If you're fed up with him coming back, use *des*.
Old October 21, 2017, 00:59   #32
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Bump because I'm trying to play V but the ineffectual status effects are souring me on the whole experience. Can we please have original confuse/slow back? Please?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 06:26   #33
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Bump because I'm trying to play V but the ineffectual status effects are souring me on the whole experience. Can we please have original confuse/slow back? Please?
The original ones? You mean the ones that EVERY THREATENING MONSTER IN THE GAME resisted entirely, because even if the monster wasn't actually immune, it got a high-probability save? How would bringing back those help?

Yeah, the status effects are slightly weaker now than they were in the nightlies when they were first buffed, but they're still stronger than they have ever been in any previous official release. Pre-4.1, most veteran players would put the items of sleep/confuse/stun monster on the auto-squelch list because they were almost never useful at all, let alone being good enough to merit an inventory slot.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 15:40   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
The original ones? You mean the ones that EVERY THREATENING MONSTER IN THE GAME resisted entirely, because even if the monster wasn't actually immune, it got a high-probability save? How would bringing back those help?

Yeah, the status effects are slightly weaker now than they were in the nightlies when they were first buffed, but they're still stronger than they have ever been in any previous official release. Pre-4.1, most veteran players would put the items of sleep/confuse/stun monster on the auto-squelch list because they were almost never useful at all, let alone being good enough to merit an inventory slot.
This isn't entirely fair. Status ailments have periodically vacillated between being useless and being too strong. There was a period in the 3.x days when carrying wands of Slow Monster was absolutely worthwhile in the early game; their base strength was high enough to overcome early (pre-1000' or so) uniques' save throws with only a few attempts, after which the fight became trivialized.

Then I went and opened my big mouth, and consequently saving throws were boosted, rendering the status effects more or less useless.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 17:22   #35
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
Slow is currently the only status with 100% effectiveness and one of two useful against dangerous mobs, with the other being stun.
Confuse etc. may still work on Bullroarer and his buddies but they do nothing to greater uniques.

I still say we should go to fractional effects.