Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 5, 2017, 10:23   #21
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't risk lack of dark over 2 speed. If 2 matters you're probably under to start with. It's not even just about whether you can safely do it. A question: do you really want to be checking every single enemy in the final fight to see if it dark storms?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017, 11:18   #22
Ironshod Al
Scout

Ironshod Al is on a distinguished road
You're probably right. In the meantime that problem has solved itself as I found another =Speed+11. That replaces the additional +2 speed from the boots.

But I have run into a similar problem:
I've just found the glaive of pain. It's pretty good damage. 'Only' base damage, but better than defender of the crown even vs evil. On the other hand, I lose resistance to nether, which is absolutely not something I can afford.
So, I can get 980 damage at about 30 speed, but can't handle nether. Or I can lose 3 speed by swapping jewel of judgement with stone of death.

I'm still lacking potions, so there is a chance I can solve the new problem in a different way eventually.

Last edited by Ironshod Al; July 5, 2017 at 11:19. Reason: meantime, not mean time :)
Ironshod Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017, 12:11   #23
wobbly
Veteran

Also if you're dropping the shield for extra damage it may be worth double checking what you get with an orcish or dwarven shield
Old July 5, 2017, 16:10   #24
Ironshod Al
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Also if you're dropping the shield for extra damage it may be worth double checking what you get with an orcish or dwarven shield
Is there a difference between carrying a 'normal' shield and one of those? Again something I wasn't aware off. All these amazing little details.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check them out. Unfortunately, I have usually left them behind, but there might a few on future dungeon levels. I saw an orcish shield last time I visited DL99.
Old July 5, 2017, 16:15   #25
wobbly
Veteran

Not a difference so much, just that they come with a damage boost. It's unlikely to be better than 2-handed unless the str bonus & resists let you swap in extra damage or speed somewhere else
Old July 5, 2017, 17:47   #26
Ironshod Al
Scout

Good to know that they don't have any secret special effects that I missed. I'll remember to check anyway. Didn't find either shield type this time around. But the dark/light problem just returned with additional difficulty. Boots of Speed+7 vs Boots of the Sprite +3 {LiDk} makes it harder to ignore the speed. LiDk is only a problem because I swap armor of rituals with shiva's avatar, so until I decide on the final setup, I'll use the extra speed.

Despite not wanting to experience another rocket hit, I was just hit by two rockets from Dor (because I forgot to use -Detection). This is the main problem with grinding so late in the game: it increases the chance of getting killed before reaching the main goal. My character survived with ~250 HP, but I'm not really proud of the feat.
Old July 6, 2017, 04:49   #27
Ironshod Al
Scout

Another thank you to everyone for helping me out with the various gotchas.
My character is almost ready. Still in need of !Healing, but things are looking much much better:

932 vs evil and speed+29 / 39 hasted. All resistances covered. I'll probably need !Resistance to add a bit to rBase. I've only got 40% poison resistance. !Heroism slightly upgrades to-hit (+2%), but not damage. My AC is pathetic - 120 (125 with ?Holy Chant), but I'll bring ?Protection from Evil to counter that a bit.
Average 43 turns of hitting the serpent (ignoring regeneration) and it gets about 18 turns for casting spells and such.

I'll take this setup for a test run when I grind for consumables next time.

EDIT: Test run over. In fact the whole run is over. Sad, but still worth it.
I'll restore an old save file as I want to test a thing I didn't want to try in the actual game. Bought Scroll of Madness for 200,000 gold in the Black Market that I want to know more about.

Last edited by Ironshod Al; July 6, 2017 at 08:04.
Old July 6, 2017, 11:43   #28
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Glad you learned a lot on this run. In my opinion, you were grinding entirely too much on a character that looked eminently winnable with some perseverance. 22 *healing* means you can exclusively use those in the final fight and still easily win.

If you're planning on sticking with Warrior until you win, I might try a faster-levelling class next time. Lucky personality is also great for the treasure and device-skill boosts, and usually equipment will more than cover the stat penalties by the late game.

I always carry a staff of destruction in my lategame kit so that I can blast awkward monsters like Nodens who can show up when I'm unprepared. Follow-teleport monsters are really bad _Destruction is also great at CL50 for nuking monsters that don't drop anything -- like hounds. So many hounds.

Last edited by debo; July 6, 2017 at 11:53.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017, 13:43   #29
wobbly
Veteran

Something I notice looking at the dump (besides the tele-level scrolls ), the only healing you have is that 43% fail staff, right? I'd learn to live with the fact that sometimes healing Potions get used or smashed. That late I'd be carrying a few on a priest with a pack full of healing devices. They're there to protect the player. It's not the other way round.
Old July 6, 2017, 14:29   #30
Ironshod Al
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo
In my opinion, you were grinding entirely too much on a character that looked eminently winnable with some perseverance. 22 *healing* means you can exclusively use those in the final fight and still easily win.
I had a bit of the same thought after I lost. It would have been more fun to just see where my resources could have taken me. At least when I got the better equipment and thus shorter time needed to fight the serpent.

Quote:
If you're planning on sticking with Warrior until you win, I might try a faster-levelling class next time. Lucky personality is also great for the treasure and device-skill boosts, and usually equipment will more than cover the stat penalties by the late game.
I have a CL26 Skillmaster on the online server, that I will return to. It's set with Ordinary personality, but might go better now that I'm aware of some of the hassles of the late part of the game. For one, I don't think it's worth going after all the uniques I did. There is always more of them, so focus should be on gathering equipment and consumables quicker and just hit DL99 and DL100. I don't know if I have made the right choices for my skillmaster, but at least it will have the benefit of a more experienced player.

Quote:
I always carry a staff of destruction in my lategame kit so that I can blast awkward monsters like Nodens who can show up when I'm unprepared. Follow-teleport monsters are really bad _Destruction is also great at CL50 for nuking monsters that don't drop anything -- like hounds. So many hounds.
I used to carry one, but ended up thinking it wasn't necessary as most visits to DL99 worked well. Even when uniques were dangerous (like Star Blade, Sekhmet and Unmagic). Hounds are annoying, but apart from a few kennels they usually weren't too hard to deal with. Their AI doesn't fear ASCs unlike many uniques and all but chaos hounds dies in one hit.
The monsters I usually were looking for were ultra paladins, the fightable wyrms and trolls. Trolls don't drop too great stuff, but usually appears in large groups and they do drop consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly
Something I notice looking at the dump (besides the tele-level scrolls ), the only healing you have is that 43% fail staff, right? I'd learn to live with the fact that sometimes healing Potions get used or smashed. That late I'd be carrying a few on a priest with a pack full of healing devices. They're there to protect the player. It's not the other way round.
True. A lot of easy visits to DL99 made me forget that the character wasn't invincible. I left too many useful items at home, wanting to save them, instead of saving the character.

I had already used ?Teleport Level once and ended up on DL100, which was where I activated ?Recall. All I tried to do was to survive, so yeah I might have tried ?Teleport Level again. At least after the first failed attempt at escaping Nodens.