Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 9, 2017, 11:02   #1
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
can we make identify more common ?

so, i'm CL27 with a warrior and DL34 and i still have not found a single scroll of identify.
mages and rogues have it as a spell, but paladins and priests need a dungeon book; and warriors are just shafted. my house is full of {??}.
Old September 9, 2017, 11:12   #2
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Unless something has changed in the recent nightlies I find them to be reasonably common within a certain depth range but rare outside.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017, 11:40   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Warrior is indeed shafted. However, making the scroll any more common would simply make any id-by-use minigame obsolete.

With warrior, I go to greater length to try and use-id some runes than with other classes, so f.e. no wasting a scroll on a weapon that is most likely slay something rare like giants. Saving on id scrolls that way, I managed to get by for now.

You can always pick the "all runes are known" options of course, but if all of that is still unsatisfactory and the decree is to fix warrior, I would suggest a rod of identify (with similar parameters to rod of speed) rather than more common id-scrolls.

Edit: actually even better, make id scrolls more common at depth; this would be an unusual distribution for a cheap item like id scroll, but I suppose it could be done.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017, 12:56   #4
kandrc
Adept

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Edit: actually even better, make id scrolls more common at depth; this would be an unusual distribution for a cheap item like id scroll, but I suppose it could be done.
Make them no longer cheap. Price them like stat potions.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017, 13:11   #5
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
Make them no longer cheap. Price them like stat potions.
Then you simply cant buy them early on, which would amount to losing about 1/3 to 1/2 of early id scrolls from my experience. So you would want to increase frequency accordingly, the end result of which might be the desired one - more identify for warriors at a stage where everyone else has the spell.
Old September 9, 2017, 15:10   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
In any case, Sky's chosen playstyle is going to run into ID limits simply because they won't go where the scrolls are (i.e. deeper in the dungeon). Making scrolls common early would, as Estie notes, render the identification minigame obsolete.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017, 15:54   #7
Estie
Veteran

As for Sky´s immediate problem, no id scroll by that time is definitely an outlier and would be annoying for more classes than warriors only.

My suggestion is to see if you can id-by use some more of your stuff to get room in the house.

Things I do include walking around in town with cursed items equipped, hoping for some of the curses to id themselves, or carrying an unid swap weapon or 2 down to the dungeon to use on likely slay targets - in general, prefering to id items which are likely to have only 1 rune so I can discard them after iding.
Old September 9, 2017, 18:09   #8
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
We used to have staves of Id, and they came with 5-8 charges. Id was common enough to find at DL1.
Thats not the case now, so imho they should be made a bit more common.

Maybe sell 1-4 occasionally at the Alchemist, for 666 gold, like kandrc said? Same frequency as potions of RLL (about 1/3 of the time).
Old September 9, 2017, 22:16   #9
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Sky don't you play with selling on? Just chuck a bunch of stuff in the stores and you'll soon have a heap of runes ided. Heck even with selling off this works. Plenty of weapons are obviously junk. Telepathy is obvious. Slay evil is obvious. Acid brand is obvious. Raw damage is obvious. For the stuff that is clearly junk you'll get a bunch of runes ided.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017, 22:38   #10
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
We used to have staves of Id, and they came with 5-8 charges. Id was common enough to find at DL1.
Thats not the case now, so imho they should be made a bit more common.

Maybe sell 1-4 occasionally at the Alchemist, for 666 gold, like kandrc said? Same frequency as potions of RLL (about 1/3 of the time).
If you dont want to play the id-by-use game, simply set the option for known runes - why arent you doing that ?
Id is rarer than before because it does way more than before; if you id 1 armor of resistance, you have ided all of them that youll ever see, so clearly you dont need as much id anymore.