Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 17, 2017, 03:52   #11
flechette
Scout

flechette is on a distinguished road
I almost always leave the Queen Ant alive, since she summons very weak monsters and can quickly fill empty spaces with weak monsters. Late game, especially against Morgoth, she's more of a weakness to him than anything else.
flechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 20:57   #12
NimrodPE
Scout

NimrodPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I almost always leave the Queen Ant alive, since she summons very weak monsters and can quickly fill empty spaces with weak monsters. Late game, especially against Morgoth, she's more of a weakness to him than anything else.
I'll remember it for the next time, thanks ;D

And again: Thanks for alle the strategies. Right now my HE-warrior is cl37 on dl37 maxxing out stats. In the last 2 days I've slain Smaug (and avenged the former HE-warrior which he killed), Ariel, maias, a lesser Balrog, the Queen Ant and some other "harder" creatures, but all without too much trouble. +8 speed, Andúril and very good to excellent stealth really pays off.
NimrodPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 20:49   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
A Max stat warrior is pretty much invulnerable to the likes of Smaug. Later on, warriors need to be a bit more careful of basic elemental attacks, as it only takes two shots at 533 damage to really wreck your day. (I think I only killed the Tarrasque once as a warrior, when I happened to have both fire and cold immunity.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 21:54   #14
NimrodPE
Scout

NimrodPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Later on, warriors need to be a bit more careful of basic elemental attacks, ...
Which is why I never go deeper than 1250ft without at least one "+" on all basic resistances. Right now my Warrior is sporting Leather Shield of Celegorm and Chain Mail of Arvendui.

Missing resistances: Sound, Chaos, Nether (of which Nether and sound aren't a concern from what I've heard) and some minor issues like Stun.
NimrodPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 01:16   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Nether and sound resistance are in the "nice to have" category: there are a number of monsters that breathe sound for 500 damage, and a handful that breathe nether for 500-550. (Dracolich, Omarax, Ossë)
Old September 20, 2017, 02:07   #16
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Have had nasty experience with nether recently, first I was resting in a vault, Omarax woke up floated over to me and nethered me to death; he had to pass favourable hokeystick position, so he must have triple-moved for me not being able to react; I had like +16 speed and was left flabbergasted. Only on my next character did I realize that by accident the "disturb when visible monster moves" option was turned off.

My next character was fighting Osse, also in a minor vault, and when low on health I wanted to phase out and zap a rod of healing to preserve potions. The game couldnt find a location though and I was left standing; Osse didnt hesitate and netherbreathed.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 17:29   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

That bug needs fixIng ASAP.
I have a new technique for uniques and the like when playing mage: Teleport away to recover HP/SP, and rest in the same +(favorable) location to continue the fight. Te improved pathfinding means the monster almost always will find its way back.
Used it in my most recent win vs Sauron, Ungoliant, and Ancalagon. I fought Sauron almost by accident, not realizing I was in dl 99, and with a very short stack of !Heal and !rMana. But I had plenty of wands of Drain life, which worked nicely.
Old September 20, 2017, 21:51   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
That bug needs fixIng ASAP.
OK, I'm right on it - done! I'll put it in the nightly build from a day ago and cross-post to the time travel thread