Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 29, 2017, 17:44   #1
epatton
Rookie

epatton is on a distinguished road
Can't get subwindows working

Hi, I'm sure I am making a very basic mistake, but I can't get the subwindows to open, despite toggling an 'X' for different Term windows.

I am running angband 4.1.0 on Linux Mint, and angband is invoked through the Bash shell with 'angband' at the shell prompt, and no other arguments. Do I need to pass any other flags or parameters?
epatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 18:24   #2
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by epatton View Post
Hi, I'm sure I am making a very basic mistake, but I can't get the subwindows to open, despite toggling an 'X' for different Term windows.

I am running angband 4.1.0 on Linux Mint, and angband is invoked through the Bash shell with 'angband' at the shell prompt, and no other arguments. Do I need to pass any other flags or parameters?
IIRC you have to use a graphical front end; I don't think the "curses" frontend (which is you get in the terminal by default) supports multiple subwindows.

You could try

Code:
angband -mx11 -n4
(Not sure for the other frontends.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 18:58   #3
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
IIRC you have to use a graphical front end; I don't think the "curses" frontend (which is you get in the terminal by default) supports multiple subwindows.
It does, but it displays them as sections of a single terminal. SDL does something similar.

./angband -mgcu -- -n4

the "--" is important because it tells the program you're supplying subopts.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 20:37   #4
epatton
Rookie

epatton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
It does, but it displays them as sections of a single terminal. SDL does something similar.

./angband -mgcu -- -n4

the "--" is important because it tells the program you're supplying subopts.
Thanks! It was not at all obvious from the command line help to use the double dash and single dash together. I am restricted to 3 subwindows at a time, but this is a much, much better playing experience than before.
epatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 20:50   #5
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
It does, but ...
Ah, the code has been improved since the ToME (or Pern, I suppose) split-off then . Apologies for the misinformation -- I was too lazy to try it.
Old September 29, 2017, 20:58   #6
Gwarl
Swordsman

Quote:
Ah, the code has been improved since the ToME (or Pern, I suppose) split-off then . Apologies for the misinformation -- I was too lazy to try it.
I haven't gotten round to compiling your 2.4.0 release yet, but your 2.3.6 release contains this functionality
Old September 29, 2017, 21:00   #7
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't gotten round to compiling your 2.4.0 release yet, but your 2.3.6 release contains this functionality
WAT? I guess it's because I never play GCU, but I could have sworn...

/me goes on to swiftly remove GCU just to suppress the evidence...
Old September 29, 2017, 21:01   #8
Gwarl
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by epatton View Post
Thanks! It was not at all obvious from the command line help to use the double dash and single dash together.
It's in there:

Code:
Usage: angband [options] [-- subopts]
But it's not particularly explicit or eye-catching.
Old September 29, 2017, 21:03   #9
Gwarl
Swordsman

Quote:
WAT? I guess it's because I never play GCU, but I could have sworn...

/me goes on to swiftly remove GCU just to suppress the evidence...
Please don't by the way, I'll send a PR when I update the gcu port to support 256-color terminals (you currently only support 16-colour terminals)
Old September 29, 2017, 21:36   #10
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Please don't by the way, I'll send a PR when I update the gcu port to support 256-color terminals (you currently only support 16-colour terminals)
Not sure how far you are along, but I would be surprised if it's actually possible to support >16/32 (see below) colors without a huge amount of changes all over the place -- there are just soooo many hardcoded constants all over the place that assume this. The problem isn't so much that the GCU bit is limited... it's actually that there's actually a ridiculous amount of code that assumes no more than 16 colours (or is it 32? Basically 'attributes' in terms of the T2 code.).

I'm actually quite serious about removing GCU support, but it's probably not going to happen any time soon. FWIW, I'd be aiming towards a "headless" or "server" mode instead and then have any front ends be completely separate code bases. (GCU is problematic in this because it mandates a lot of special support by essentially mandating quantized colors, not having graphical overlays (like a targeting line which still shows the background), animated damage indicators, etc.

(... but as I say, this is wishlist-type stuff. In the mean time any code improvements would be appreciated! )

EDIT: Btw, even if you "only" have a work-in-progress branch, I'd encourage you to open a "WIP" pull request just to solicit feedback from me as soon as possible. I've learned a lot of really obscure and counterintuitive things about the T2 code base over the years, and I think it would be more helpful to learn about these obstacles as early as possible when attempting to make a sizable contribution. (Example: https://github.com/tome2/tome2/pull/6 . That's not to "call out" miramor or anything[1] -- it's just an absurdly convoluted code base and there are interactions that are almost impossible to foresee.)

[1] In fact, I think he's one of the most patient contributors I've ever experienced. Shout out to you!

EDIT#2: Even better example: I removed Alchemy as a skill... but as it turns out a totally-unrelated-to-Alchemy quest requires you to find "Essences" which are only exist in the game because of Alchemy. (I'm sure you can imagine the rest of the miserable tale )

EDIT#3: This is utterly off-topic to this thread (as is the tradition in these parts), so feel free to either start a new thread or maybe just keep it to PMs.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; September 29, 2017 at 22:32.