Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2016, 12:18   #1
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 41
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Question Need help compiling Hellband

Greetings & Salutations,

long time no see

Since it's NaNoWriMo, I wanted to write a LitRPG story ( don't Google this if you value the little spare time you have left with *band ) and I want to follow my character in game (uses stats etc. )

For this, I need Wizard mode, and in my infinite wisdom, I made that a compile option. I now have a new machine (Windows, no more Macs for me), and for the life of me cannot compile.

I tried makefile.org, makefile.sid, makefile.dos, it seems broken all over the place. If anyone could create a makefile that works on Win 10 with Cygwin or any other free compiler, I would be tremendously grateful.

I will also then be able to fix/test some of the bugs that I have been finding in Hellband.

Hellband latest source can be found here:
http://hellband.net/downloads.html
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016, 12:54   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,596
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Makefile.win for angband is very flexible, though you will need to be careful with the .rc and .res file names. You will need a new makefile.src file.
For a mingw build use:

MINGW=yes make -f Makefile.win
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016, 13:37   #3
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 41
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Thanks, checking that out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Makefile.win for angband is very flexible, though you will need to be careful with the .rc and .res file names. You will need a new makefile.src file.
For a mingw build use:

MINGW=yes make -f Makefile.win
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 20:26   #4
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 41
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
I never got to build a proper Windows build, which is sad.
But, it built within 10 minutes on Termux, which is great!!
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 23:21   #5
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 532
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Hi just checked out your blog post.

You could almost play hellband online at one point on angband.live.

But as far as I could tell you broke some directory handling stuff, specifically combining the treatment of the lib folder and the user folder, which would seem to make sense on a single user machine, but ruins the multi-user setup. If I specify user directories on a per-user basis it doesn't look for default .prf files in a common location the way all other *bands do.

I also didn't appreciate your changing the spelling of color to colour in the internal variable names, despite being british myself. It made it more work to apply the colour patch. And they tease me over taking exception to certain British fairies being born in Whales.

But long story short, you don't need to convert the whole thing to JS in order to play it in a browser. You just need to fix the .prf directory handling and the reference to large aquatic mammals and I'll add it to the site.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 09:11   #6
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 41
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Hi just checked out your blog post.

You could almost play hellband online at one point on angband.live.

But as far as I could tell you broke some directory handling stuff, specifically combining the treatment of the lib folder and the user folder, which would seem to make sense on a single user machine, but ruins the multi-user setup. If I specify user directories on a per-user basis it doesn't look for default .prf files in a common location the way all other *bands do.

I also didn't appreciate your changing the spelling of color to colour in the internal variable names, despite being british myself. It made it more work to apply the colour patch. And they tease me over taking exception to certain British fairies being born in Whales.

But long story short, you don't need to convert the whole thing to JS in order to play it in a browser. You just need to fix the .prf directory handling and the reference to large aquatic mammals and I'll add it to the site.

Hmmm, you give me too much credit I have never touched the .prf/lib part of the code. Many maintainers had their hands on Hellband before me.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix that, since it is in a mess of #DEFINE statements that I thought do allow for proper handling of .prf files.

I would love to have Hellband on angband.live, so I will take some time looking in to that.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 16:04   #7
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 41
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
I'm being that guy who responds to himself

So! Hellband now will
1) Generate an ~/.angband/Hellband087/save folder
2) Load/save files in there

For user pref files, should those be in
~/.angband/Hellband087/
~/.angband/Hellband087/save
~/.angband/Hellband087/pref

I would vote the last option, but that's not what OangbandU seems to do.

Cheers,
T.


Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Hmmm, you give me too much credit I have never touched the .prf/lib part of the code. Many maintainers had their hands on Hellband before me.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix that, since it is in a mess of #DEFINE statements that I thought do allow for proper handling of .prf files.

I would love to have Hellband on angband.live, so I will take some time looking in to that.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 20:49   #8
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 532
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
The idea is that there's a command line option to specify the 'user' folder on starting the game, which is how .live works behind the scenes. By default most *bands will put this in ~/.angband/Hellband087/user. .live works a little differently but I'm familiar with how to solve that having hacked my way through it on more than a dozen other variants.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hellband


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hellband 0.8.8 Wish list konijn_ Variants 33 February 10, 2010 16:22
Hellband Screenshots konijn_ Oook! 1 January 31, 2010 11:29
Release HellBand 0.8.7 konijn_ Variants 4 December 27, 2009 04:14
Hellband Hiatus konijn_ Development 2 October 5, 2009 12:13
Hellband 0.8.6 is out! konijn_ Oook! 1 September 1, 2007 23:58


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.