AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 26, 2018, 18:03   #21
10v24
Rookie

10v24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelk View Post
I've always liked the idea of removing spellcasting from rogues entirely, but giving them some sort of magic-device-related boon to make up for that. Always seemed weird that rogues were running around casting spells from magic tomes, but the idea that they come upon some nifty magic devices in their life of "treasure hunting" that they've learned to use well jives well enough.

I mean, even if it's just a flavor thing in giving them a unique spellbook they use that isn't called a spellbook, but rather described as ... I don't know, some kind of magical doodad that can be activated for the effects.
Rogues could have Sneaky Skills instead of spells. They require Sneak Points to use instead of Spell Points. They have to refresh their memory from Sneak Books, brown ?s that can only be found on the dungeon floor or purchased from the Black Market.

Listen -- uses super-sensitive burglar hearing to detect awake monsters (assuming even if they aren't moving around, they're making some kind of noise that could be identified). Maybe the hearing can only identify orcs at a certain distance but not what kind of orcs, etc. (Higher level versions called Listen Good and Listen Real Good)

Tiptoe -- Temporary boost to stealth. Maybe there's a Tiptoe the Best at higher levels which gives you temporary perfect stealth.

Puff of Smoke -- Makes a big cloud of smoke that prevents monsters within its radius from seeing you while you make your escape. Higher levels have Bigger Puff of Smoke, and Biggest Puff of Smoke

Greedy Feelings -- tap into your inner desire for wealth to intuitively sense when you're getting warmer or colder w/r/t where items and treasure are. (You could do a vaguer, closer-ranged Treasure Detection, or make it more realistic and figure out the nearest path the player can take toward each treasure / item (probably within some kind of reasonable limit), then weight each path length by how awesome the treasure / item is, shorter / more awesome path lengths add more to the greed score. Could be a timed effect, with a temperature gauge on screen. Greedier Feelings gives you a longer lasting effect. Clairvoyant Greed gives you morsels of information about specific items ("You feel dragon scale mail in the air around you..." "Something reminds you of extra speed...")

Stair-Listen -- uses burglar hearing to listen for footsteps on staircases (little known fact -- monsters run up and down the mazes of staircases making a racket which burglars can hear if they're close to stairs) (replacement for Stair Detection)

--

Related: Rangers could have uncast spells, abilities that trigger reflexively. So while Rogues have to stop to listen, Rangers have an ongoing listening that kicks in more often and better as they develop their senses. Rangers have a keen sense of smell, which eventually allows them to detect monsters within a "line of smell" of them automatically all the time with high sensitivity. If there's a roomful of magic mushroom patches, you can smell mushrooms from the end of the corridor leading to that room. No thanks, you decide, and walk away. (Some monsters have pungent smells, while some make distinctive sounds, so the two senses complement each other.)

I guess if you wanted to make it realistic / complicated, monsters would leave smell trails.

Different races could be better at some things (maybe hobbits and elves would be good with hearing, while kobolds and half-orcs would be good with smell).

Under stress or otherwise distracted (HP below a certain amount, lots of monsters triggering disturb_near, for instance), these senses are less likely to kick in. Lots of monsters in an area muddles sound and smell.
10v24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018, 18:07   #22
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

In what way?
It just seems like the discussion on the last page was dividing up abilities into sub-skills to differentiate the classes.

Increase Stealth? ---> Defensive Stealth (Ranger, Thief) vs Offensive Stealth (Assassin)

Increase Archery -----> Bow? Sling? XBow?

Minor Magic? -----> Nature? Healing?

It just struck me as being more like a skill tree than before, is all.

Some thoughts on making ranged attack classes more interesting

Archer- Allow Move and Fire in same turn.
Ranger- some sort of defensive bonus- like greater stealth while firing, or ability to give monsters another target, or something like that.

Any thoughts on changing gear restrictions? I've always thought priests (healing magic) should have a penalty to bows/xbows if they have a penalty to edged weapons. High-stealth characters (rangers, thieves) should have some of their stealth bonus dependent on non-clanky armors and shoes.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018, 00:15   #23
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Just a crazy idea I'll drop here since we're brainstorming:

Let a character start the game as something vague like "rogue" (meaning somebody who wanders from town to town, surviving and living off the land and from petty crimes to feed themselves, generally sneaky but too amazing), and when they get to some level (like 20 or 30) the player can choose a specialty like Assassin (major stealth attacks, dirty tricks, shadow magic aimed at harming or disabling others, better at combat while not as focused on escape) or Thief (also major stealth, magic based on illusion, haste, or other things that can help them escape or disable/confuse others, but average fighting skill).

Could be something similar for melee fighters or for the archer/ranger dichotomy you mentioned in the first post. Or between Priest and Paladin (big heals and Orb vs. combat-specific buffs) could start as a "cleric" which is a pretty generic holy-oriented person.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018, 08:26   #24
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
Just a crazy idea I'll drop here since we're brainstorming:

Let a character start the game as something vague like "rogue" (meaning somebody who wanders from town to town, surviving and living off the land and from petty crimes to feed themselves, generally sneaky but too amazing), and when they get to some level (like 20 or 30) the player can choose a specialty like Assassin (major stealth attacks, dirty tricks, shadow magic aimed at harming or disabling others, better at combat while not as focused on escape) or Thief (also major stealth, magic based on illusion, haste, or other things that can help them escape or disable/confuse others, but average fighting skill).

Could be something similar for melee fighters or for the archer/ranger dichotomy you mentioned in the first post. Or between Priest and Paladin (big heals and Orb vs. combat-specific buffs) could start as a "cleric" which is a pretty generic holy-oriented person.
You have this in many games: four basic classes (fighter, archer, wizard, cleric), then specialization at certain levels. Or skills you can buy with points (ToME).
Old March 7, 2018, 10:42   #25
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
For now, I think I'll go with Paladins and Rogues as I originally described; Rangers whose archery is toned down a bit and who get nature magic and some trickery, and Gwarl's evil warrior type (still need a good name for those). Probably a half-caster in each realm, as it turns out.

I'm not closing the book on this, though, and am interested in hearing any proposals for additions or changes.
Old March 7, 2018, 12:40   #26
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...Gwarl's evil warrior type (still need a good name for those).
Corsair (of Umbar)
Dunlending
Haradrim
(Men of) Carn Dûm
Ruffian
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018, 14:35   #27
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Corsair seems pretty thematic, the other Tolkien derived ones being more races than classes IMO

I quite like ruffian too, or thug. Bandit would match the existing monster list quite well
Old March 7, 2018, 19:57   #28
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Thug was going to be one of the intermediate titles, and I like ruffian for that too. My current idea is that the big feature of the class will be sacrificing something (HP, stats maybe) for combat power; I've been thinking of names involving "blood" or "dark", but they're all sounding a bit fantasy-generic.

The point about the races is a good one; off-topic a bit, I have also been developing ideas on what to do with races, and will probably post on that soon.
Old March 7, 2018, 20:24   #29
Voovus
Scout

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Myrmidon, villain, brute, miscreant, criminal.
(Not sure any of them fit - depends on what you have in mind.)
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018, 22:29   #30
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thug was going to be one of the intermediate titles, and I like ruffian for that too. My current idea is that the big feature of the class will be sacrificing something (HP, stats maybe) for combat power; I've been thinking of names involving "blood" or "dark", but they're all sounding a bit fantasy-generic.
Autoflagellator.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote