Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 10, 2019, 12:41   #111
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Did I miss any other dramatic bug reports yesterday?
Old May 12, 2019, 13:42   #112
Bucephalus
Scout

Bucephalus is on a distinguished road
Er, no, but, some serious existential issues need to be addressed re: Infernal Deal and warriors of the dawn.

I know you're not a theologian too, Sideways (unless you are, in which case, I don't know that), but I've been having a very difficult time with this.
Bucephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 15:56   #113
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I can create ammo - bolts and arrows - but not Shots. The S breaks the input sequence both in hjkl mode and not
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 21:34   #114
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
I can create ammo - bolts and arrows - but not Shots. The S breaks the input sequence both in hjkl mode and not
Very strange, I can't reproduce this problem. Are you adjacent to a pile of rubble to make the shots/pebbles from?
Old May 12, 2019, 22:25   #115
Thraalbee
Knight

Thanks! My bad, I thought skeletons worked for shots too. But of course not.
Old May 22, 2019, 20:54   #116
Thraalbee
Knight

Reforge of Vilya?

Anyone reforged a ring of power? Looks like I may be able to reforge Vilya before meeting Oberon. I've already got the nice shooters and armours so although a shooter or MHDSM would be most tempting the result would have to be stellar to be useful. On the other hand my boots, gloves and headgear could easily be improved. But I don't have great dragon items as base and expect those to end up with lower total power although I don't recall the exact rules for reforging.
Old May 22, 2019, 22:34   #117
Sideways
Swordsman

If you're playing toffee you should get rough estimates of the likely reforge results for a given target, helping you assess the likelihood that it will be better than what you currently have.

Vilya is "too powerful" for reforging - it will give very good results, but no better than reforging Nenya because the extra power is just ignored. I wouldn't recommend reforging it onto a MHDSM; MHDSMs in general work better as targets for ?artcreation, and as an archery skillmaster you don't really need AC that badly. (Actually, I suspect the game won't even let you reforge Vilya onto a MHDSM, though logically it ought to allow that.)

I'd go for a shooter, or a cloak, or some less AC-heavy armour (a Sexy Swimsuit would be a very appealing option if you had one, because the Ag would keep the value down; but something like a leather jacket would work nicely too). Probably a shooter though.
Old June 5, 2019, 07:35   #118
mibert
Scout

mibert is on a distinguished road
Hi, quick questions. In V I can just examine a weapon and see how many blows, i.e. damage, I'll do with it.

Do I always need to buy+equip a weapon in Frog to see blows and damage?
Thanks!
mibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2019, 12:30   #119
Sideways
Swordsman

Hi mibert,

yeah, being able to see such data for weapons not equipped has been requested before; but it's more complicated to implement in Frog than it was in V (and it's pretty complicated in V...), so for now you need to equip them. (One big difference is that in V you always know which slot a weapon goes in, but in Frog most characters have multiple weapon slots, and some have no weapon slots at all.)

Buying weapons tends to be a really rare occurrence anyway; pretty much the only times it happens (other than on death-swords) are 1) some once-in-a-year black market ego/randart or 2) buying an average rapier at game start because you started with a dagger and still want to melee Thieves' Hideout at cl 1. Weapon egos are pretty common, even in the fairly early game, so shop weapons need to be really exceptional to be worth investing in.
Old June 26, 2019, 14:44   #120
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
Hello, is there any chance for "always generate vault rooms" birth option being reintroduced?
I am currently experimenting with reintroducing this option, but there is one point on which I need feedback because of a key difference between Frog and Pos.

In PosChengband, dungeons with tiny levels were an exception to the "always generate vaults" option; no vaults were generated. But the starter dungeon (Stronghold) was not a tiny-level dungeon, so the player was thrown in the deep end right off the start, with greater vaults generating on level 1.

FrogComposband's starter dungeon, Warrens, is a tiny-level dungeon; so if I simply copy Pos's code there will be no vaults in Warrens, which will play the same way as it would with the option off. There's three ways I can go about this:

1) Copy the Pos code directly, and accept there are no vaults in Warrens.
2) Allow the generation of lesser vaults in place of greater vaults when the levels are tiny. This is what my experimental code currently does, but a problem is already apparent; early lesser vaults are generally radically softer than a greater vault would be, making the start much less dangerous. I have no idea if always-vaulters would consider this good or bad.
3) Edit: Trying to force the generation of greater vaults even in dungeons with tiny levels works less well than I'd thought, and is not an option.

A potential additional option would be to increase level size with wacky rooms on, avoiding the problem by not generating tiny levels; but that's a pretty awkward end-run.

Do old ironman_rooms players have any clear preference?

Last edited by Sideways; June 27, 2019 at 21:49.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband