AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old August 20, 2010, 13:19   #11
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
Timo, I'll happily provide screenshots if you can tell me how to arrange such situations. Maybe there are problems indeed, which need to be fixed, by changing the perspective or the image sizes. But I don't know how I could provide views of the situations that you ask for

Edit:

Timeo, I've have made a mockup of these situations, at least I understood your concerns. The colors are not the ones as they would be in the game, but it should give an idea how much the characters overlap. Color differences will even help further:

I have no images for such high level creatures yet. I focused on the early game so far.
That looks better than I expected. Maybe you should make @ a bit smaller, it looks like it blocks the view much more than those "M" or "U". (think that snake in block directly behind @).
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 14:36   #12
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Oh no, it's some sort of conflict brewing between Xavier University and Miami University!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 16:17   #13
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I remember looking at your Isometric screenshots years ago and really liking them. I'm glad you're back on the case! After looking at the screenshots with visual monsters against the one with the Isometric U's, I got to hoping that there would be an option to use iso-ascii characters for all the denizens and items if one wanted to. I think it would be a very interesting novelty, and I'd probably use it from time to time. Not to miss the point of all your hard work visualizing the depths of angband mind you... I really like the way you've portrayed the mushrooms, snakes, townspeople and all the other denizens I've seen.

Oh yes, please forgive if this is mentioned in your mission statement/development journal. I only glanced.
HallucinationMushroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 17:21   #14
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Not to miss the point of all your hard work visualizing the depths of angband mind you... I really like the way you've portrayed the mushrooms, snakes, townspeople and all the other denizens I've seen.
Thanks, I'm happy to read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
After looking at the screenshots with visual monsters against the one with the Isometric U's, I got to hoping that there would be an option to use iso-ascii characters for all the denizens and items if one wanted to. I think it would be a very interesting novelty, and I'd probably use it from time to time.
If you delete the whole "lib/pref" folder and replace it with the original files from Angband 2.9.3, you have ASCII-Iso view, unfortunately also for the walls and floors. Not sure about doors, might be that I hardcoded those ...

But it should be fairly easy to create a pref file that only maps terrain to images and displays the rest as ASCII characters. I've kept a full ASCII set of characters in their "native" positions, so it should be fairly straightforward.

If I have a bit of extra time I'll see if I can make an example pref file.

Edit:

That was easy I just had to remove all the monster and item definitions from the iso pref file, and it already looked rather well.

http://www.funkelwerk.de/data/iso-an...c/font-iso.prf (4kb)

Just get this file, put it into the lib/pref folder of your Iso-Angband installation and it should do the trick. Maybe you want to backup the former version of the file, in case you want to revert to the more graphical version.

Last edited by Hajo; August 20, 2010 at 18:28.
Hajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010, 18:28   #15
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Wow, thank you very much! I'll get a chance to play with that in a few hours and I'll let you know how it goes.
HallucinationMushroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010, 07:23   #16
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Hajo: As always, I really like the isometric Angband display - if only for it to make sense to non-Angbanders what it is we're doing.

But...

I know you've historically only been able to support 64x64 size tile sets. David Gervais has created an excellent 52x52 size isometric tileset (54x54 with a 1 pixel overlap). Is there any chance your isometric display code will be able to support this size tileset?

I'm not interested in dynamic recolouring or anything else: just the ability to support non power of 2 tileset sizes...

And, BTW, I've got what I hope will be an acceptable iso wall solution for the main Angband code, if you ever want to go down the path of having the old isometric wall designs you started with.

Andrew

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010, 12:25   #17
Hajo
Adept

The code is very old, and when I recently looked at it, I noticed that my ways of coding have changed a lot over the past 10 years. I see no magic though, that would limit it to powers of two, but there are hard coded 64 and 32 values, which must be tracked and adapted. Nowadays I'd code an isometric map display differently and more modular.

I'm currently trying to clean the code up, also to track down a bug that causes occasional crashes with the (l)ook function. I think I could fix that now, but I must do more testing.

Problem is, I have coded only very little C in the past 5 years, and I have no working debugger for Windows (which I'm currently using). So C coding and debugging is a bit difficult these days for me.

The nine part walls were nice, but a lot of work to paint the tiles. I think I can reactivate the code if needed; I was just lazy and decided that the block walls are good enough for Iso-Angband. But it's something that itches me now and then, since the nine part walls indeed gave the dungeon a better look.

Honestly, I think until it can be an official Angband display module there will be a lot of cleaning up needed.
Old August 21, 2010, 19:25   #18
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
See Hajo---helpful folks to ferret things indeed!

Support for that Gervais offering would be pretty swell too, especially in conjunction with all else.

Lots of interesting steps ahead in the future of Angband-land I reckon.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2010, 12:30   #19
Hajo
Adept

Indeed. Thanks for the link to this forum, getter77

I hope I could track down the crash problem with the (l)ook function. It happened only very randomly before, so I can't be sure - but I've played for about an hour, looked at many things and it didn't crash anymore.

Also there are some image changes:

- Improved yeek image.
- Orc image + config.
- Orc captain image + config.
- Street urchins use old yeek image.

Now we really face the problem of the orc captain visibility that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Right now orc captains are just more buff and have a different helm and a slightly different blade. If they do not stand out enough from the crowd, I'll rework them further. I might also have made mistakes in the config, and I have no character to check the levels where orcs usually are found. So I have no idea yet if they will show alright or not.

For Windows users, there is a precompiled executable included. Also two starting batch files, "start_small.bat" and "start_large.bat" which choose a smaller or larger font, and therefore start with a smaller or larger window.

Download:
http://www.funkelwerk.de/data/iso-an...nd-0_2_8_3.zip

Sources and images are included as well, and I think it should compile for Linux, too, but I had no chance to test that yet (try Makefile.isov-sdl for the SDL based code).

Known bugs and problems:
http://www.funkelwerk.de/forum/index.php?topic=197.0

If you find a new problem, please let me know. Particularly wrongly configured images.
Old August 22, 2010, 23:46   #20
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
Sources and images are included as well, and I think it should compile for Linux, too, but I had no chance to test that yet (try Makefile.isov-sdl for the SDL based code).
Currently it doesn't compile correctly on Linux for me:

Code:
gcc -Wall -O1 -pipe -g -D"USE_ISOV_SDL" -D"USE_ISOV" -D"USE_TRANSPARENCY"   -c -o main-sdl.o main-sdl.c
main-sdl.c: In function ‘Term_pict_sdl’:
main-sdl.c:1574: error: invalid storage class for function ‘Term_text_sdl’
main-sdl.c:1575: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘Term_text_sdl’
main-sdl.c: At top level:
main-sdl.c:1654: error: conflicting types for ‘Term_text_sdl’
main-sdl.c:1655: note: an argument type that has a default promotion can’t match an empty parameter name list declaration
main-sdl.c:1575: note: previous implicit declaration of ‘Term_text_sdl’ was here
make: *** [main-sdl.o] Error 1