Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2011, 12:06   #1
arturolorioli
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
arturolorioli is on a distinguished road
Question Upgrade from 3.0.6 to 3.2.0

First thing, the warmest hello to all the forum members and thanks for all the much interesting material you have posted.

I'va played Angband for several years, using an old 3.0.6 version. After a lapse of almost 2 years I started again to play, searched for new versions and found the 3.2.0.

But unfortunately the 3.2.0 version doesn't seems able to load my Level 47 character. Is some sort of upgrade necessary to play 3.2.0 with 3.0.6 characters? Or is it impossible? Or is it very simple, and I am just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the assistance, and happy gaming

Arturo Filippo Lorioli
(Roma - Italy)
arturolorioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 14:24   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturolorioli View Post
First thing, the warmest hello to all the forum members and thanks for all the much interesting material you have posted.

I'va played Angband for several years, using an old 3.0.6 version. After a lapse of almost 2 years I started again to play, searched for new versions and found the 3.2.0.

But unfortunately the 3.2.0 version doesn't seems able to load my Level 47 character. Is some sort of upgrade necessary to play 3.2.0 with 3.0.6 characters? Or is it impossible? Or is it very simple, and I am just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the assistance, and happy gaming

Arturo Filippo Lorioli
(Roma - Italy)
Welcome. I'm afraid I have bad news for you: there was a break in savefile compatibility in between 3.0.6 and 3.2.0. Possibly more than one, in fact. This means you cannot convert that savefile to 3.2.0, and need to finish your game in an older version (I think 3.0.8 or 3.0.9 may work but not sure).

The good news is that this won't happen in future. Savegames from 3.1.1 onwards should load correctly into any future version ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 15:04   #3
jens
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 348
jens is on a distinguished road
Until 4.0 that is ;-)
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 15:18   #4
Timo Pietilä
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Welcome. I'm afraid I have bad news for you: there was a break in savefile compatibility in between 3.0.6 and 3.2.0. Possibly more than one, in fact. This means you cannot convert that savefile to 3.2.0, and need to finish your game in an older version (I think 3.0.8 or 3.0.9 may work but not sure).

The good news is that this won't happen in future. Savegames from 3.1.1 onwards should load correctly into any future version ...
Between 3.2 and 3.<something-development> has change in PVAL -handling (multiple PVAL:s). I suspect that that again broke the savefile compatibility. I also guess that removing special artifacts completely causes havoc if you already have one and its base item gets removed.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 16:41   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
Between 3.2 and 3.<something-development> has change in PVAL -handling (multiple PVAL:s). I suspect that that again broke the savefile compatibility. I also guess that removing special artifacts completely causes havoc if you already have one and its base item gets removed.
Dealing with those in reverse order:

- as long as the base object exists in object.txt, the fact that it can no longer be generated is fine. Commenting out the base items would cause a crash, but it's perfectly safe to leave them in and simply not create any artifacts based on them.

- quite a lot of work has gone in to making sure that old savefiles from before multiple pvals will work properly in new versions. Once 3.3.0 comes out, I'll be looking very carefully at any bugs reported on this - and there *will* be a 3.3.1 which will fix them.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 17:03   #6
Timo Pietilä
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Dealing with those in reverse order:

- as long as the base object exists in object.txt, the fact that it can no longer be generated is fine. Commenting out the base items would cause a crash, but it's perfectly safe to leave them in and simply not create any artifacts based on them.
That leaves unknown flavors in knowledge menu forever if you don't solve that in some other way. Maybe check which INSTA_ART items can be actually generated?
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 17:06   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
That leaves unknown flavors in knowledge menu forever if you don't solve that in some other way. Maybe check which INSTA_ART items can be actually generated?
Yes - good suggestion.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 20:20   #8
arturolorioli
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
arturolorioli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Welcome. I'm afraid I have bad news for you: there was a break in savefile compatibility in between 3.0.6 and 3.2.0....
Oh well, things that happen ... I suppose it's the price of progress Thanks for the prompt and helpfull answer.

Arturo Filippo Lorioli
(Roma - Italy)
arturolorioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.