Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old January 3, 2015, 10:52   #1
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
developing a new "roguelike?", inspiration plz

hi,

i want 2 make my own roguelike game

its not gonna be a variant of angband, but its gonna be a similar style of play.

i dont hav any solid ideas yet, but i know its not going 2 b heavily visual.

i am not really an expert on roguelikes, but i deeply love angband, and b4 i discovered that, i had been playing diablo 2 for a long time and diablo 1 b4 that, also infinity engine games (baldurs gate, etc)

i consider diablo 1 pretty close 2 angband really, bsides the realtime factor and all the obvious things, its still a game with a dungeon and u win whenu get 2 the end and beat the boss

i want a 2 make my own game because i want 2 combine elements of diablo, angband and perhaps even some jrpgs like final fantasy (6-)

if i was capable 2 do it full on isometric and all that i would go 4 it, but as i am now im limited 2 my own artistic and programming capabilities ,,

so if u read this far , thank u and heres some more, i know im raving it and im soz 4 it...

i havnt really decided on anything except a dungeon with some kind of boss at the end and loot..

races, classes, setting and rules//system are secondary and i will make them up as i go

but i want 2 iron out wat i hav in mind b4 i really start coding this

im leaning 2wards a realtime game in all honesty., because i like that kind of thing.. but my limited graphical capabilites are putting me off because.. it would be a top down view game on a square grid, i dont know how well this fits to be honest,

if any1 has examples of games that are near enough roguelike but also realtime and preferably free so i can check them out,, please let me know

or if som1 can tell me anything u think i should consider b4 i crack in2 it, let me know

details are not important 2 me atm,, just core fundamentals,

thanks in advance and wish me luck~

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015, 13:23   #2
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I'm happy to hear your plans for making a roguelike. I recommend minimizing the initial scope to ensure you end up with a playable game in reasonable time. Once it is playable, it is much easier to complete it to something really enjoyable since you get access to playtesting in parallel with coding.

I'd start by looking into the commonalities and difference between a "big" popular game that already exists - e.g. poschengband - and a "small" one which is also popular - e.g. Sil. Then add your own ideas. Then define the initial scope and the long term scope. Then apply "Occam's razor" and remove all non-essential stuff at least from the initial scope. Then apply it again. And again. Then maybe start coding. Or simplify the scope once more before coding. GLHF!
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015, 14:46   #3
Jero
Rookie

Jero is on a distinguished road
its all about coding, graphics kill the game, and "easily" can be changed, I think
and i think Thraalbeast have right its more easy and logical somthing simple at first with the possibility to expand
Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015, 14:55   #4
dos350
Knight

thanks guys for ur responses,

amen about graphics kills the game, always secondary..

i guess maybe i shud just hav at it..

wat we are looking at is

realmtime "roguelike" with top down view... maybe more mouse based than keyboard because i feel a clicky style of play is more suitable 2 realtime ,,,

any 1 with any more ideas or some examples

please post or feel free 2 pm me

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old January 3, 2015, 23:48   #5
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
cool idea

Greetings,

your idea hits me. I thought of that for years already, but never had time or interest to do it. Right now, might be a Chance - before i get a new Job

So, i would like to know what development base you have in mind to code your new game on. I am using Windows7 on a home-pc. Yet i have no clue what a good coding engine i could use. I am capable of programming, yet i lack a Compiler to produce an executable that could be run (and shared).

Anyone living around the Location of Frankfurt am Main, Germany may drop me a note, so we could meet personally for a Brainstorming.

Cheers,
Tibarius
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2015, 06:24   #6
dos350
Knight

ty for interest

im going 2 b using c++ and the sdl2 library under windows~ compiling with tdm gcc,,...

but i dont plan on making this some kind of open source project really, im just looking for inspiration , examples of games like wat i described or any other suggestions//feedback~

thanks again

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old January 4, 2015, 06:29   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
No particular inspiration, but personal experience for what that's worth - for FAangband, I found it very useful knowing what I wanted to achieve. Then whenever I was thinking whether to include some feature, I just had to ask the question "Does this make the game more like my goal?".

Mind you, if you don't have a clear goal and just want to start messing around and see what happens, that can work too
Old January 4, 2015, 06:43   #8
dos350
Knight

ty nick,, yes i dont hav a clear goal, i only know i want to hav a game like angband that plays like diablo,, hoping my graphical limits dont spoil the potential..

i hav been thinking on it for a long time and perhaps i need2 try some other games to get some new perspective...

when i can decide 4 sure that it will be ok, im gonna get straight in2 it..

i got alrdy a bit of a framework for my code from other projects of mine so i shud b able 2 get a minimal kind of "playable" thing relatively fast...

im trying 2 think of a game like wat i hav in mind but i really cant..

i would just go 4 it but im really having trouble deciding on wats best ,, and i cant bring myself 2 do anything til im atleast half sure

mainly i guess my question is

control method :

1~full mouse, ie diablo
2~wasd//mouse , might sound strange but i think it can work here perhaps
3~ ??? maybe something else

also the view/perspective goes with this,,, like for option 1 it makes sense that the character is the center of the screen and its locked,
option 2 leans more 2wards a "free" camera , in the kind of top down game im imagining

im looking now for any games that might show me some possibilities,

again, please if any1 can contribute an example of such a game u think might help me , please do!

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old January 4, 2015, 16:09   #9
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
You could make a roguelike that is entirely focused on rocket launchers. Kind of like a Rise of the Triad roguelike.
Old January 4, 2015, 16:44   #10
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Have you played DiabloRL?