Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 31, 2017, 04:44   #1
Ighalli
Scout

Ighalli is on a distinguished road
Anyone interested in XP in monster display?

I've recently gotten interested in Angband again after more than a decade of sticking with other RLs. In my local version, I modified the ui-mon-list.c to display how much experience I'd earn for killing each creature I see. Since I've not internalized the monster list, I find it useful for deciding what to do about the various things I encounter. In principal this information is available in the monster recall anyway, so it doesn't seem like cheating.

Sample:

You can see 1 monster:
Q 1 rotting quylthulg (3068.18 XP) 3 N 3 W

You are aware of 1 other monster:
H 1 minotaur (asleep) (1909.09 XP) 14 S 10 W

Does anyone else think this is interesting enough to warrant a new user interface option? I could go ahead and make a PR on Github, but I'd rather not spend the time if it's not something other folks want.
Ighalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 07:01   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Not really. And certainly not before the position, which is much more important--and which barely fits on my layout as it is. Just having a rough idea of native depth gives a pretty good idea of XP.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 13:27   #3
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Once you've "probed" the monster for complete information, or have a complete monster lore file, you can simply "look" at the monster and have all the details, resistances, susceptibilities, attack methods, and... the experience points a kill is worth. Don't think it needs to be in the subwindow, location is enough, and they are ordered in terms of depth/power in such subwindow.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 15:03   #4
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
To balance out the negativity, I'd probably use this if I played with a visible monster list, but I don't (I press ]).
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 23:30   #5
Ighalli
Scout

Ighalli is on a distinguished road
@Gwarl: I didn't know about '[' and ']'. Those are quite nice! The experience thing shows up in that menu too, of course.

@Ingwe Yeah, I do that too, but this is a way to give me a shortcut to know if I need to study the info block carefully or, if it's a low-xp monster, just glance at spells and then have at it. Just a way to save time so I can spend more of my time worrying about bigger decisions. The monsters seem to be ordered by native depth, but I find that sometimes lower depth critters merit more attention, which is usually reflected by their XP.

@Pete The position is still right justified, so on my terminal it stands out nicely. It would be truncated / wholly omitted if the window was narrow enough that it would conflict with position. By the way, thanks for your helpful comments on my ladder character!
Ighalli is offline   Reply With Quote