Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2018, 06:03   #141
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbib View Post
Hi, I've been having a problem where sometimes when I go down stairs I can't save anymore. It says Failed to create file Lore.txt.new
That looks like the game is having trouble writing files sometimes, but it's hard to see why. What operating system are you on?
Old April 25, 2018, 06:26   #142
olbib
Rookie

olbib is on a distinguished road
I'm using linux and I compiled angband with the no-install option. Would that matter?
I also should mention that when this happens the game can't load the help files.
olbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 07:20   #143
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
I'm using linux and I compiled angband with the no-install option. Would that matter?
I also should mention that when this happens the game can't load the help files.
I'm not actually 100% sure which user directory is used with no-install - it could either be ~/.angband/Angband, or ANGBAND/lib/user, where ANGBAND is the place you're compiling the game.

How sporadic is the problem? Does it happen consistently for a playing session, or just on random occasions?

t this point it looks like either a weird permissions/filesystem problem (which may be your OS), or that the user directory is not handled correctly in the no-install case (which seems unlikely, but so do all bugs).
Old April 25, 2018, 09:28   #144
bunnies
Scout

bunnies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I don't suppose you still have a savefile from this?
Sorry I don't. I'll be sure to keep a copy next time.

It's actually happened a couple more times now, at least 3-4 times. It's happened with different characters, but always the same trigger. I inscribe my lantern with @w1@t1, and I t1 to remove light which overflows onto the floor, then I R& to rest to full HP, and sometimes it crashes with pile integrity error.

It's rare and I can't reproduce it reliably. I tried creating a new character and turned on debug mode to create similar conditions, but I can't repro the error. I'll let you know if I manage to get a savefile.

[edit] btw, I'm running v4.1.2 on Linux. I downloaded a precompiled binary off the Arch repo.
bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 13:26   #145
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnies View Post

It's actually happened a couple more times now, at least 3-4 times. It's happened with different characters, but always the same trigger. I inscribe my lantern with @w1@t1, and I t1 to remove light which overflows onto the floor, then I R& to rest to full HP, and sometimes it crashes with pile integrity error.

It's rare and I can't reproduce it reliably. I tried creating a new character and turned on debug mode to create similar conditions, but I can't repro the error. I'll let you know if I manage to get a savefile.

[edit] btw, I'm running v4.1.2 on Linux. I downloaded a precompiled binary off the Arch repo.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.
Old April 25, 2018, 18:34   #146
olbib
Rookie

olbib is on a distinguished road
It appears to be using both ~/.angband/Angband and angband/lib The saved games go in lib/save and the lore.txt is in .angband/Angband. The problem has been happening every time I play, but I can always go a while before it starts.
olbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 23:55   #147
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
It appears to be using both ~/.angband/Angband and angband/lib The saved games go in lib/save and the lore.txt is in .angband/Angband. The problem has been happening every time I play, but I can always go a while before it starts.
OK, thanks. I'm away from my dev machine at the moment, but will check it out thoroughly when I'm back.
Old April 28, 2018, 00:50   #148
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
OK, can you tell me the precise configure command you use, and what configure reports as the configuration (nearly at the bottom of the configure output)?
Old April 28, 2018, 01:46   #149
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnies View Post

I've managed to reproduce this in current master (picking up the lantern crashed the game), no idea what the cause is yet.

EDIT: OK, I now know the basic cause of the bug. The good news is that it's essentially the same bug as bron reported. The bad news is it will take some careful thought to fix it, which is actually really good news because it means the code will become more robust.

Last edited by Nick; April 28, 2018 at 02:09. Reason: Found bug
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018, 12:44   #150
geoff_tewierik
Adept

geoff_tewierik is on a distinguished road
I know that having hit points lowered to a point makes dogs, wolves and hounds follow @ down a corridor.

Just wondering whether being affected by poison or having a graze (or worse cut) does as well? I.e. they can "smell" that you're hurt and close in for the kill.
geoff_tewierik is offline   Reply With Quote