AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old August 18, 2022, 18:26   #81
Julian
Adept

Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
Update: I tried looking this up, and as far as I can tell from VI editor key reference guides like https://www.atmos.albany.edu/daes/at...heat_sheet.pdf , they did use ^h for backing up one character in "input" mode, so I suppose there's some correspondence there, but maybe that could have just as well have been on ^j if things had been shifted over one to match standard typing hand position. Nothing assigned to ^j or ^k. ^l redraws the screen, which maybe didn't necessarily need to line up with the right navigation key, I wouldn't have thought.
Since ^h is backspace and ^j is line feed, I suspect the choice of home-row keys for vi (or perhaps ed — I don’t know how navigation worked in ed) was deliberate to match them.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2022, 01:40   #82
smbhax
Adept

smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
It’s compatible with Nethack, which is perhaps more useful.
Well as long as they end up playing the roguelike keyset in Angband so more people besides me will report roguelike keyset issues. ^ _^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Since ^h is backspace and ^j is line feed, I suspect the choice of home-row keys for vi (or perhaps ed — I don’t know how navigation worked in ed) was deliberate to match them.
Oh that makes sense. That key list I dug up for VI omitted ^j... Ah, this one has it: https://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/Tech/vi.html
Old August 31, 2022, 02:40   #83
smbhax
Adept

smbhax is on a distinguished road
https://youtu.be/1CC-Y2c5sRU

0:00 - town - back to Recall scrolls ;_;
9:01 - L34 - stone giants, serpents, mages
14:35 - keymap kerfuffle
27:30 - reset to default Roguelike keys 'p'
35:09 - The Ant Queen
45:33 - L35 & wrap!

Back to Word of Recall scrolls (one got toasted by The Ant Queen's giant fire ants! 'o') until I can find another Rod of, and eventually, back to the default Roguelike keyset: my shifted-one-right keymap attempt ended up failing because a) I'd forgotten m and M are sorta needed (magic and Map) shortcuts, and those were being stomped by my down-right movement key; and more immediately, b) m is a toggle option in x (eXamine) lookaround mode, which stomps my keymap, so I couldn't look down-right!

(Is "lookaround mode toggle option stomps movement key keymap" a bug? I can see why you might want a submenu option to stomp a keymap in a lot of submenus, where you can't engage in normal gameplay, but in lookaround mode, you still need to use the movement keys.)

By the end I didn't screw up using my split-B key to move down-left about three times in a row, so maybe I can manage this split keyboard okay without it getting me killed too often. = oo