Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 26, 2019, 20:12   #11
Ed_47569
Rookie

Ed_47569 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ed_47569
Congratulations on the win! I first started playing 2.7.8 way back in 1997, didn't win legitimately until 3.0.5 in about 2005. I've probably won with every version since but really struggling with the latest nightlies thanks to the monster upgrades - this is a good thing by the way! I feel the changes take the game back towards the difficulty of older versions (pre-3.0), but with much better features and UI.

I know Geoff Hill (University of Warwick) still hangs out on this forum occasionally, so at least one of the original developers still has an interest in the game.
Ed_47569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019, 21:16   #12
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
Congratulations! I still haven't won after just about as long, but someday... SOMEDAY.
seriously, im tempted to get on a train, come there and make you win.
Old June 27, 2019, 00:45   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Using Eddie Grove's "Tales of the Bold" (archived on google groups in a few threads on rec.games.roguelike.angband) as a strategy guide might change that. I found the game strategically easier (if tactically more difficult) when I took his advice. He was one of the earliest diving evangelists, back in the day.

Quote:
Congratulations! I still haven't won after just about as long, but someday... SOMEDAY.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2019, 06:39   #14
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Watching Fizzix's "Let's Play Angband" series on YouTube was what got me to be able to start winning.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2019, 14:55   #15
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
seriously, im tempted to get on a train, come there and make you win.
I dunno, I almost feel like winning might spoil it for me. "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's heaven for?"

That said, I'm at a point in my current game where I'm absolutely stumped for which gear to carry. I'm doing well enough that I should probably start a thread and beg for help before I screw it up.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019, 09:01   #16
lgpmichael
Rookie

lgpmichael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_47569 View Post
I know Geoff Hill (University of Warwick) still hangs out on this forum occasionally, so at least one of the original developers still has an interest in the game.
I haven't talked to Geoff since I left Warwick. The only person who had any of the early angband inspiration who I am still in contact with is James (just James for his privacy) who was the person the shopkeeper Rincewind the Chicken was named after {;-)
lgpmichael is offline   Reply With Quote