Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 22:05   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
But a Ring of Damage +40 simply doesn't exist (or has rarity 2^-25 ?). The only thing remotely similar is a branding ring, which I might ignore many times in a game.
But that's the point! We're trying to test a system whereby things are valued and priced according to equivalent damage.

I was wrong though - I forgot that off-weapon damage is worth twice as much, since it adds to any weapon. So your evaluation of ESP is equivalent to a +20 damage ring, which is perhaps about right. The current rating is only that of a +10 damage ring, which is definitely too low. You probably wouldn't ignore a +20 damage ring any more often than you'd ignore a source of ESP. I do fear that doubling the value of ESP will make it very unlikely to appear on randarts though, so I suspect 60 power (= +15 damage ring) might be a useful compromise.

There are all sorts of difficulties with trying to calculate prices (instead of just reading them in from the text files) - the game wasn't designed for it and we're trying to retrofit an algorithm. It's good to do some testing and refine what we have.

On the rarity point, it would be nice if we could just multiply the calculated price by k_ptr->alloc_prob, but ego item rarity is a whole lot more complex than that. I'm still wondering how to make low-pval speed boots more expensive without breaking everything. I'm not sure it's possible, as with integer arithmetic we really only have two choices of pricing (linear or quadratic), and linear just doesn't work (neither does cubic). Hmmm.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009, 22:38   #22
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,662
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
But that's the point! We're trying to test a system whereby things are valued and priced according to equivalent damage.

I was wrong though - I forgot that off-weapon damage is worth twice as much, since it adds to any weapon. So your evaluation of ESP is equivalent to a +20 damage ring, which is perhaps about right. The current rating is only that of a +10 damage ring, which is definitely too low. You probably wouldn't ignore a +20 damage ring any more often than you'd ignore a source of ESP. I do fear that doubling the value of ESP will make it very unlikely to appear on randarts though, so I suspect 60 power (= +15 damage ring) might be a useful compromise.
I agree with the +15 damage ring being about equivalent. And I think that the damage model approximates a cost based on both rarity and "importance".

I figure immunity might be worth giving up about 6-8 damage from a ring. The elven rings are so valuable because they combine so many features from a single source, not because of the immunity alone.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009, 22:48   #23
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I agree with the +15 damage ring being about equivalent. And I think that the damage model approximates a cost based on both rarity and "importance".

I figure immunity might be worth giving up about 6-8 damage from a ring. The elven rings are so valuable because they combine so many features from a single source, not because of the immunity alone.
Yes, and the power calculation now adds extra power for lots of things being found on one item (low resists, high resists, sustains, pvals and misc abilities all attract extra power if there are lots of them) - so items combining lots of good stuff (like the elven rings) are now rated properly.

Fire immunity is currently rated the same as a +10 damage ring (20 damage/blow on a weapon), i.e. 2/3 as much as telepathy. This seems about right - in pure value terms it may only be worth 6-8 damage on a ring, but it's quite a bit rarer than ESP (as it's not found except on artifacts), so +10 reflects this additional rarity.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009, 04:34   #24
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,662
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nexus undervalued. Or: stat gain is broken

Another quirk: Nexus is severely undervalued in the current environment.
Until I've got a very good saving throw, I'm unwilling to go without nexus resistance.
Three things contribute to this:
1. Stat potions are somewhat more rare, because objects as a whole are more rare.
2. Stat gain requires more potions (not counting the move from 18/9x to 18/100.) Previously, you could get +2 in the initial stat gain then big chunks up to 18/70.
3. Stat gain after base 18 is no longer compressed. Previously you could rely on getting from 18/00 to 18/70 fairly quickly. Now it takes as long as getting from 11 to 18. Since the difference in power is also greater, getting swapped between 18/70 and 18/00 is far more disastrous than for earlier versions.

The result of this is stat swaps are more damaging, for more of the game, than in 3.1.0, and even more so compared with earlier versions.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009, 07:48   #25
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Another quirk: Nexus is severely undervalued in the current environment.
Until I've got a very good saving throw, I'm unwilling to go without nexus resistance.
Three things contribute to this:
1. Stat potions are somewhat more rare, because objects as a whole are more rare.
2. Stat gain requires more potions (not counting the move from 18/9x to 18/100.) Previously, you could get +2 in the initial stat gain then big chunks up to 18/70.
3. Stat gain after base 18 is no longer compressed. Previously you could rely on getting from 18/00 to 18/70 fairly quickly. Now it takes as long as getting from 11 to 18. Since the difference in power is also greater, getting swapped between 18/70 and 18/00 is far more disastrous than for earlier versions.

The result of this is stat swaps are more damaging, for more of the game, than in 3.1.0, and even more so compared with earlier versions.
Yep, good point well made. Nexus is stil valued at 10, per 2.9.x (i.e. more than rbase/fear/light/shards but less than sound/dark/blindness et al.). So presumably it's now worth more than rdark or rsound, and about the same as rblind?

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009, 07:55   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,662
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's worth at least as much as rBlind, certainly. But this may be a bug not a feature--I'm still hoping that stat gain won't be quite so painful by the time the beta comes out.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009, 09:15   #27
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Another quirk: Nexus is severely undervalued in the current environment.
It's not just the current environment. In a 309 based game, I chose dwarven armor + boots of stability over armor of resistance + boots of FA, and it wasn't for the stat bonuses. I might have had one element covered some other way, but I know I valued rNexus over rBase for a noticeable proportion of that game. A 240 point unresisted breath makes an underpowered char use ?telLevel. A nexus scramble means a new game.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009, 09:26   #28
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
It's not just the current environment. In a 309 based game, I chose dwarven armor + boots of stability over armor of resistance + boots of FA, and it wasn't for the stat bonuses. I might have had one element covered some other way, but I know I valued rNexus over rBase for a noticeable proportion of that game. A 240 point unresisted breath makes an underpowered char use ?telLevel. A nexus scramble means a new game.
Hmmm. I've just added an extra term for multiple resists, so that the full rbase set is now worth quite a lot more than four individual items. I've increased the power of rnexus by 50% (from 10 to 15), so it's currently worth almost 3x as much as a single low resist - but still less than the full set. Let's play with that for a while and see. Foo of Resistance was underpriced without the extra term and should now be more sensibly priced, but it may now cost more than boots of Stability, so we'll have to investigate that ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2009, 18:49   #29
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Does your power algorithm keep track of the base object? E.g., wtih Bladeturner most of the power comes from the base item. The super-ego "Bladeturner" only adds a not too powerful activation, a resist or two, and maybe +15 AC to the underlying item.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2009, 21:11   #30
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Does your power algorithm keep track of the base object? E.g., wtih Bladeturner most of the power comes from the base item. The super-ego "Bladeturner" only adds a not too powerful activation, a resist or two, and maybe +15 AC to the underlying item.
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you are carrying Bladeturner along with "normal" PDSM then yes, the power ratings will be fairly close - but since you can only see this in the prices, and they'll both max out even the BM, you wouldn't notice unless you looked in the log file. A better example might be a Blade of Chaos (+9,+9) and a Blade of Chaos of Slay Orc (+9,+9) - those you would sell for very similar prices, with the latter fetching a tiny bit more, as you would expect.

If you are carrying Bladeturner on its own, there will be no reference made in the log to normal PDSM. Where would you be looking for one?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power-based pricing available (r1284) Magnate Vanilla 35 April 4, 2009 08:04
automatic lists+look & colored detection ChodTheWacko Vanilla 5 March 21, 2008 22:15


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.