Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 31, 2009, 23:20   #1
AceRimmer
Rookie

AceRimmer is on a distinguished road
Slay Orc / Troll and Westernesse

General question: should Half-Orcs and Half-Trolls be allowed to wield weapons of Slay Orc/Troll and Westernesse? I know they *can* wield them... I just wonder whether it makes sense. I guess I feel silly running around with my Half-Orc Warrior wielding his War Hammer of Westernesse. It somehow seems wrong (but it's also the best weapon). I just figure: if priests can get a penalty for edged weapons, how difficult would it be to invoke race-based penalties (I'm not a coder, can you tell?)
AceRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009, 23:54   #2
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
Given that most of the good egos are tied to the elves, I think with the current objects it'd just make it even less common for people to play anything other than high-elves :-/. I suspect that the gameplay adjustments (new ego types, figuring out which races to penalize for using what weapons) would ultimately be more work than the coding.

That said, it's a cool idea-- possibly for a variant? I think V's been moving away from this sort of special casing (high-elves used to not be recommended for thief on the grounds that they were morally above such things, and then that was scratched, I think there's also discussion of getting rid of the edged weapon penalty for priests).
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009, 00:04   #3
Whelk
Adept

Whelk is on a distinguished road
I think adding more limitations based on races would be more of a detriment to people choosing them. A neat idea, and it makes sense, but this game is barely (if at all) focused on lore and accurate roleplaying.

Please, for the love of the gods that they serve, let priests wield edged/pointy weapons without penalty. If they're allowed to crush something's skull and splatter its brain with a mace, I see no reason why slicing/poking something's flesh is considered offensive.
Whelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009, 07:44   #4
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
It's quite understandable that a half-orc who grew up among humans would hate orcs. Same goes for half-trolls. I see no problem with half-orcs or half-trolls wielding slay orc/troll weapons or westernese weapons.

PS: In DaJAngband, priests have even less weapons that they can wield without penalty because if a sword isn't 'priestly' then surely a lead-filled mace or lucerne hammer wouldn't be either. Then again, they also can wield magic staffs without penalty and they have a bless object spell which can put a temporary blessing on any weapon to remove the edged penalty. (That spell is in a dungeon book though)

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009, 10:34   #5
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
It's quite understandable that a half-orc who grew up among humans would hate orcs. Same goes for half-trolls. I see no problem with half-orcs or half-trolls wielding slay orc/troll weapons or westernese weapons.

PS: In DaJAngband, priests have even less weapons that they can wield without penalty because if a sword isn't 'priestly' then surely a lead-filled mace or lucerne hammer wouldn't be either. Then again, they also can wield magic staffs without penalty and they have a bless object spell which can put a temporary blessing on any weapon to remove the edged penalty. (That spell is in a dungeon book though)
I don't seem to be able to download DaJ 1.0.98 from your website-- I get a 404. When you fix it, would you like an OS X compile?
Old August 1, 2009, 17:30   #6
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
General question: should Half-Orcs and Half-Trolls be allowed to wield weapons of Slay Orc/Troll and Westernesse?
Ditched from Zaiband before first release, as there is no point in making these races unplayable. If the maintainer really doesn't like these races, they should be replaced or removed outright.

(Zaiband's ex-implementation had two parts: merely having the slay in your backpack inflicted damage. Wield it? Instant death.)

Quote:
I just figure: if priests can get a penalty for edged weapons, how difficult would it be to invoke race-based penalties (I'm not a coder, can you tell?)
Hard-coding is easy (the required change points are always obvious, never more than two or three candidates). Planning is harder.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009, 21:45   #7
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
(OT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I don't seem to be able to download DaJ 1.0.98 from your website-- I get a 404. When you fix it, would you like an OS X compile?
I just fixed the download link. I realized the link has been bad ever since I moved my website to the new host. how dissapointing. at least it's fixed now.

An OS X compile would be cool, but you might as well wait till DaJAngband 1.0.99 to do it because it should be out hopefully sometime in the next month and it'll have less bugs.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009, 22:04   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
An OS X compile would be cool, but you might as well wait till DaJAngband 1.0.99 to do it because it should be out hopefully sometime in the next month and it'll have less bugs.
Fewer bugs, less hassle.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2009, 21:52   #9
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
General question: should Half-Orcs and Half-Trolls be allowed to wield weapons of Slay Orc/Troll and Westernesse? I know they *can* wield them... I just wonder whether it makes sense. I guess I feel silly running around with my Half-Orc Warrior wielding his War Hammer of Westernesse. It somehow seems wrong (but it's also the best weapon). I just figure: if priests can get a penalty for edged weapons, how difficult would it be to invoke race-based penalties (I'm not a coder, can you tell?)
How selling them to one of races?
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009, 15:43   #10
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelk View Post
If they're allowed to crush something's skull and splatter its brain with a mace, I see no reason why slicing/poking something's flesh is considered offensive.
This level of internal consistency seems pretty similar to the real-world belief systems with which I am familiar.

I KID, I KID!
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote