Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 28, 2021, 11:18   #1
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Q about polymorph, has it changed in new versions?

Tried the search, didn't find anything easily.

Has polymorph changed? I have noticed some mobs polymorphing (or rather shapeshifting I guess) into weird stuff. Is that different from the polymorph, as they seem to retain their HP (likely insanely tough invisible stalkers)?

If polymorph hasn't changed, maybe it could be made like the mob shapeshifts ... Let's say a hydra, which is fast and breathing, if you polymorph it it would actually retain all the hp, and still give hydra xp/drops.

Could also retain certain stuff like hit chance and dmg rolls for melee and speed. Duration instead of permanent.

In short, the spell would be like a temporary disable for natural abilities/spell casting if it works. Or if you have really bad luck, maybe it warps into a gravity hound or something even more annoying.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2021, 13:09   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Shapeshift is a new monster thing in 4.2, and it's quite different to polymorph:
  • Polymorph is only done by the player spell/wand, or by chaos attacks. It permanantly changes the monster to a different one.
  • Shapechange is a monster spell, where the monster assumes a different monster's shape and abilities for a short time - but retains its own hitpoints. After a few turns it will change back.
Old June 28, 2021, 13:19   #3
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
If we are talking about polymorph, can we change it? Specifically make it not heal already damaged monsters?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2021, 13:44   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
If we are talking about polymorph, can we change it? Specifically make it not heal already damaged monsters?
That seems reasonable, that's been an annoyance forever. It would be a big buff to player chaos attacks, but I think I could live with that. I guess the monster would keep the same fraction of its max hitpoints.
Old June 28, 2021, 13:57   #5
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I think changing polymorph to similar direction as the shapeshifts could make the spells/wands more useful even if still retaining some bad mojo RNG. Would mostly be used against things that have bad or super annoying natural abilities/spells, before you have TO or other easy ways to deal with them.

Duration, retain hp (not just the %, but all). Rewards and dmg with melee attacks remains the question, I'd suggest retaining dmg at least if retaining rewards.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote