Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2021, 17:38   #11
DavidMedley
Veteran

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Stunning is absolutely critical to reducing the amount of melee damage you take. I even added this to the hints.txt file. Also, BG spells and "fading" SP heal proportional to how much damage you have taken. So if you want efficiency, don't panic and gulp down a CCW until you're within 1 or 2 turns of dying.

Pressing on despite injury is not everyone's cup of tea. They'd rather rest up to full after every encounter. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the way to play Blackguard.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2021, 15:52   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
OK, this time around a found a +2 *Slay Troll* weapon, though it's only a spear.
I also have +6 speed, from a ring and trickery, at DL29. So a pretty lucky start.

With +10 Damage ring, 2,3 blows, and venom spell (fail rate 30%), i can do 95 dam/turn. Not too shabby--i killed the Umbar twins and an adult red dragon without trouble.
Stunning helps, and no more silly business with whirlwind attack vs single monsters.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2021, 20:19   #13
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
I'm playing atm BG in my variant - this BG is copy of V in PWMA. It's pretty interesting class though I didn't know a lot of things about it till I've read this topic..

maybe BG description should be enlarged to give player more general ideas about this class possibilities? Atm its:

Quote:
Blackguard
A Blackguard is a brawler of no principle, who lives for the joy of maiming and killing. Blackguards prefer heavy weapons and shields, and learn a few spells for the purpose of wreaking more destruction. Their lust for blood is legendary, with a blackguard in full cry nigh on impossible to kill. Blackguards scorn skills apart from slaughter, and require strength and intelligence (or rat-cunning) to thrive in the dungeon.
add there info about:

1) polymorph (checked it only at lvl 22 when I've read this topic cause my DPS is super low, 1 BpR..)
2) about getting healed by damaging (didn't know that)
3) about additional BpR through skills (I didn't use them at all cause of low success chance of casting.. I used mainly buffs like Berserk or Regen)

my vids:
english: https://youtu.be/yQd2rCV-LiA
russian: https://youtu.be/E8YgVi3RCMc
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2021, 02:37   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
T--
Using whirlwind to get extra attacks vs a single target i found annoying. But keeping the enemy helpless with stun and taunt is excellent. Taunt is great on hounds, too.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2021, 16:28   #15
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
T--
Using whirlwind to get extra attacks vs a single target i found annoying. But keeping the enemy helpless with stun and taunt is excellent. Taunt is great on hounds, too.
I love the extra swings from Whirlwind. Gets me really excited about level 20 (something you dont really see in hybrid classes), and nothing quite gives me the same thrill as finding a Maul of Lightning as a Blackguard, spamming Whirlwind and watching everything die. The healing is nice too.
archolewa is online now   Reply With Quote