Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 04:04   #11
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNyfalt View Post
If I wanted to play Nethack, then I would. The food issue is why I prefer Angband.
I agree with this statement. Making food more interesting does not necessarily mean making it harder to feed yourself. Food items can have healing effects, stat restoration effects and other similar things. That being said, I wouldn't mind removing the spell from all classes but priests and removing satisfy hunger from the stores. Let the general store be the source of food.

One change I would propose is to change 'slow digestion' to 'remove hunger' meaning that you're always well satiated, no gorging or fainting. Remove the amulets and the rings and put the effect on bodykeeping/soulkeeping rings.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011, 23:44   #12
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
One change I would propose is to change 'slow digestion' to 'remove hunger' meaning that you're always well satiated, no gorging or fainting. Remove the amulets and the rings and put the effect on bodykeeping/soulkeeping rings.
Would this then mean that regeneration would have no negative side-effects?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 00:08   #13
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 434
Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Just thought I would throw in my two cents here. I think most people are looking at the Angband eceonomy and thiking it should be a stable economy, it's not. The town is more like a boomtown, a la california goldrush, dungeon diving is the middle earth equivalent of a get rich quick scheme. All the merchants are there to take advantage of the flush adventurers bearing all that valuable loot. They take it off their hands and then sell it elsewhere for ten times what they paid for it. Adventurers are just happy to get rid of it so they can get back to the dungeon and hope for that big score. Dungeon diving is an addiction as I'm sure you all know. The townspeople are the dregs of society that gravitate to that kind of town or broken down adventurers that can't afford to go anywhere else.

Anyway, that is the way I look at it. It's a boomtown where everything is more expensive than normal and stuff that is rare and valuable elsewhere is nearly commonplace.
__________________
My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 13:45   #14
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Would this then mean that regeneration would have no negative side-effects?
Sure. The negative side effect is pretty damn useless anyway.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 14:14   #15
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I actually notice the difference in food consumption while wearing regen. If I was looking for something quick and easy to make food more of a factor, I'd scale everything back by 1/2, or in other words, double the consumption rate. It's not an end, but a start.

Food is never going to be very interesting, nor should it be. The point of food is that you have to carry it (or find it) and eat it occasionally to prevent starvation. Right now these things don't happen often enough to make food even mildly interesting or a concern of minor consequence.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 15:14   #16
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
How about this as a modified food mechanic? Run out of food, and you don't regain anything by resting anymore, even if you have regen. You can't starve to death, but finding food is still important if you don't feel like relying on potions to keep you going in the dungeon.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 15:53   #17
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I actually notice the difference in food consumption while wearing regen. If I was looking for something quick and easy to make food more of a factor, I'd scale everything back by 1/2, or in other words, double the consumption rate. It's not an end, but a start.

Food is never going to be very interesting, nor should it be. The point of food is that you have to carry it (or find it) and eat it occasionally to prevent starvation. Right now these things don't happen often enough to make food even mildly interesting or a concern of minor consequence.
I found the food mechanic most interesting back in 3.1.2v2 (or was it 3.0.9?) before starting characters were automatically given a scroll of WoR. Back then I lost quite a few characters, especially trolls, to being unable to make it back to up to the town before starvation got me. Now, the only rare time I even notice it is when I forget to replace dumped food before recalling, and start to get hungry in the middle of clearing a vault.

Hunger's not a problem because food's readily available to anyone but Ironman players. I make a point of never using scrolls or spells of satisfy hunger, and still never end up in any danger. I think those should definitely be removed from the game, and food made more scarce/hunger more frequent. How about a monster attack that makes you vomit and faint like drinking salt water? And/or limiting the amount of food you can carry by some mechanism - making it much heavier, or non-stackable, or giving more monsters the ability to rot your rations.

You could also reduce the food stocks in the general store so it's not always so readily available, since, come to think of it, food is the one thing that you can't get away with scumming for.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 21:59   #18
CJNyfalt
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 289
CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How about a monster attack that makes you vomit and faint like drinking salt water?
While nausea attacks sounds interesting, there is the risk of becoming another paralysis. That is, something that you need resist to. On the other hand, I would trade the need to carry food for another attack with a needed resist.

The idea is at least interesting enough to warrant further discussion.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 22:22   #19
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNyfalt View Post
While nausea attacks sounds interesting, there is the risk of becoming another paralysis. That is, something that you need resist to. On the other hand, I would trade the need to carry food for another attack with a needed resist.

The idea is at least interesting enough to warrant further discussion.
How about a hunger attack that knocks points off your satiation level, rather than triggering the full on vomiting effect right away. If it makes you hungry in stages, knocking you down from full to normal to hungry to starving, then you've got time to defend yourself by stuffing more food before you get to the danger level. So getting stuck in melee with a satiation-drainer could force you to chow through your whole stack of rations in succession just to make sure you don't reach the point of fainting.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011, 23:11   #20
CJNyfalt
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 289
CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How about a hunger attack that knocks points off your satiation level, rather than triggering the full on vomiting effect right away. If it makes you hungry in stages, knocking you down from full to normal to hungry to starving, then you've got time to defend yourself by stuffing more food before you get to the danger level. So getting stuck in melee with a satiation-drainer could force you to chow through your whole stack of rations in succession just to make sure you don't reach the point of fainting.
I got the impression that you meant something more like Stinking Cloud in D&D. Still, both ideas has merits.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dev blog, money


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
22 May 2011 development release myshkin Vanilla 93 June 2, 2011 05:13
5 May 2011 development release(s) myshkin Vanilla 84 May 23, 2011 16:43
angband-dev@oook.cz down? d_m Development 2 August 4, 2010 16:47
FAangband, the blog Nick Variants 4 June 14, 2010 03:42
New to Angband Dev shinobibear Development 10 June 10, 2010 18:11


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.