Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2021, 21:42   #21
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,132
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountr View Post
I'm still wondering what "Movement Speed" is. I've had a character with +2 Movement speed on for some time now, and I still cannot comprehend how or what it is. I've not seen a FAQ for it. No discussion of it other than in this thread here. So... what is it?
It's like extra shots, but for movement. +1 movement speed will mean that each step you walk will take 1/2 the energy it normally does; +2 will make that 1/3. Many game mechanics don't have explicit description of how they work, just a suggestive name and the rest is for the player to discover.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2021, 23:07   #22
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,132
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountr View Post
Sure, I'm in the Peanut Gallery, but aside from Nick, who isn't?
Well, there's these people.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2021, 23:31   #23
NCountr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 53
NCountr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It's like extra shots, but for movement. +1 movement speed will mean that each step you walk will take 1/2 the energy it normally does; +2 will make that 1/3. Many game mechanics don't have explicit description of how they work, just a suggestive name and the rest is for the player to discover.

½ the energy? How much "energy" does it take to take a step normally?
For all the belly-aching about Newb Traps, how about Inexplicable Senior Moments? Where is this "energy" defined?
NCountr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2021, 23:33   #24
NCountr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 53
NCountr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
I ask again, *why are you here*?
I could give a cryptic answer ala Nick here, but I'll give you a terse answer: to improve the game.

I don't see why being chummy is a prerequisite to that end. Seriously, how far has that gotten the game in the past few years?
NCountr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 00:09   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,545
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Whatever your speed, 2 steps at +1 moves takes 1 player turn. At +2, you get 3 steps. I dont know why you find this difficult.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 01:08   #26
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,132
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountr View Post
Incorrect. I had double-resist on at the time, so the code's broken or the algorithm is.
OK, here's the code for the powerful attack side-effect:
Code:
	/* Occasional side-effects for powerful cold attacks */
	if (context->power >= 80) {
		if (randint0(context->dam) > 500) {
			msg("The cold seeps into your bones.");
			effect_simple(EF_DRAIN_STAT, source_none(), "0", STAT_DEX, 0, 0, 0,
						  0, &context->obvious);
		}
context->power is the spell power of the monster, or 80 if the monster has the POWERFUL flag. context->dam is damage after adjusting for resistance - if you have double resist, that random value can only be more than 500 if the original damage is more than 4500, which is well over the 1600 cap on cold damage.

So the other possibility is that damage isn't being adjusted correctly. I can't absolutely rule that out, but that function has been essentially unchanged for 4 years, and I would expect it would have been noticed before. I've checked where temporary resists are applied, and that also looks OK.

On the other hand, maybe your temporary resist had run out without you noticing, or maybe you had a curse giving cold vulnerability.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 01:43   #27
NCountr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 53
NCountr is on a distinguished road
The stench sickens you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, here's the code for the powerful attack side-effect:
Code:
	/* Occasional side-effects for powerful cold attacks */
	if (context->power >= 80) {
		if (randint0(context->dam) > 500) {
			msg("The cold seeps into your bones.");
			effect_simple(EF_DRAIN_STAT, source_none(), "0", STAT_DEX, 0, 0, 0,
						  0, &context->obvious);
		}
context->power is the spell power of the monster, or 80 if the monster has the POWERFUL flag. context->dam is damage after adjusting for resistance - if you have double resist, that random value can only be more than 500 if the original damage is more than 4500, which is well over the 1600 cap on cold damage.

So the other possibility is that damage isn't being adjusted correctly. I can't absolutely rule that out, but that function has been essentially unchanged for 4 years, and I would expect it would have been noticed before. I've checked where temporary resists are applied, and that also looks OK.

On the other hand, maybe your temporary resist had run out without you noticing, or maybe you had a curse giving cold vulnerability.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Confirmed. Bile demon with double-resist Poison up, still losing CON on each breath. I'll look at the code in a bit. Maybe I can locate the logic-bug.
NCountr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 01:44   #28
NCountr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 53
NCountr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Whatever your speed, 2 steps at +1 moves takes 1 player turn. At +2, you get 3 steps. I dont know why you find this difficult.
So, how is that not Speed +10, then?
NCountr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 01:59   #29
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,132
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountr View Post
Confirmed. Bile demon with double-resist Poison up, still losing CON on each breath. I'll look at the code in a bit. Maybe I can locate the logic-bug.
Bile demon is going to be breathing poison for 800, so single resisted would be 266 and double-resisted 88. The relevant side-effect code is
Code:
		if (randint0(context->dam) > 200) {
			msg("The stench sickens you.");
			effect_simple(EF_DRAIN_STAT, source_none(), "0", STAT_CON, 0, 0, 0,
						  0, &context->obvious);
		}
As far as I can see this means context->dam must be > 200, which makes it look like damage adjustment is not working correctly. It shouldn't be a cap not being applied issue, as uncapped the unresisted damage at full HP would be 808. I don't suppose you noticed how much damage the breath was doing?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2021, 02:47   #30
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,545
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Because moves are steps, and moves are applied AFTER speed, so a +1 moves player with +10 speed. can walk or run 4x faster than normal speed. This is exactly how shots work, though shots are in units of 0.1 (4.2.0 and later only.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountr View Post
So, how is that not Speed +10, then?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YAWP, 4.2.1 mage thoughts, movement speed artifact balance drquicksilver Vanilla 11 March 7, 2021 09:08
My Ranger finds +3 Movement speed cloak Grotug AAR 4 February 12, 2021 00:49
+4 movement speed = +40 movement speed Grotug AAR 8 February 4, 2021 19:53
+4 movement speed = +40 movement speed? Grotug Vanilla 4 February 2, 2021 22:12
Movement code changes Pete Mack Development 4 October 30, 2016 10:17


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.