Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2021, 16:45   #31
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,893
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Does this work against lit monsters?

In the necromancer thread, there was talk about not being able to cast spells well against lit monsters. Seems like the two should be related.
Nothing to do with necromancers, it's true for any character. You can only "see" if you have a light or if the square is lit (like in a room). If you stand in the light of a monster, you cannot "see", which is illogical.
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021, 16:49   #32
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,893
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Another nice bug, which is actually hidden: books are never "known" (the "object_is_known" function used on a book will always return false unless it was bought from a store). This happens because the EASY_KNOW flag for books is on the object base, but is only transfered in finish_parse_object() while parsing object.txt. However books are now parsed from class.txt!

Fix: add

Code:
kf_union(kind->kind_flags, kb_info[kind->tval].kind_flags);
at the end of write_book_kind() in init.c.
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Last edited by PowerWyrm; April 16, 2021 at 17:03.
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021, 21:21   #33
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 2,075
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
"You cannot throw wielded items."

Huh? This is a bug, either in implementation or else in concept. In implementation because the "e"quipment menu provides "v" throw as an option. In concept because what, I can throw a dagger or spear that's in my pack in inventory or in my quiver, but I can't throw the one that's in my hand?!
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021, 23:13   #34
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,212
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
"You cannot throw wielded items."

Huh? This is a bug, either in implementation or else in concept. In implementation because the "e"quipment menu provides "v" throw as an option. In concept because what, I can throw a dagger or spear that's in my pack in inventory or in my quiver, but I can't throw the one that's in my hand?!
I suspect this is more a safety net than a bug.
Who wants to luzz your main weapon at that magma elemental when you meant to chuck a throwing axe?
Oops. Crush.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2021, 15:48   #35
DavidMedley
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,003
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
I also think not being able to throw your equipped melee weapon is weird.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2021, 15:57   #36
whartung
Adept
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 101
whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Nothing to do with necromancers, it's true for any character. You can only "see" if you have a light or if the square is lit (like in a room). If you stand in the light of a monster, you cannot "see", which is illogical.
The point being that if a necromancer is next to a lit monster, the light from the monster is enough to effect the necromancer, but apparently not enough to let a spell user "see". That's the inconsistency that I am seeing.
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2021, 20:47   #37
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,120
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
The point being that if a necromancer is next to a lit monster, the light from the monster is enough to effect the necromancer, but apparently not enough to let a spell user "see". That's the inconsistency that I am seeing.
While we're talking about lighting, I think it's weird that you can see the light on the outside wall of a lit room. Light shouldn't go through walls.
__________________
Will_Asher
aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021, 00:01   #38
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,212
MattB is on a distinguished road
Just spent ten minutes outside of a room. Thinking.

In the middle is a ring of speed.

The problem is what is around said ring, namely:
16 Pit Fiends (out of depth)
13 Horned Reapers
9 Gelugons
8 Osyluths
6 Bile Demons
5 barbazu
3 Hezrous
3 Lesser Balrogs
4 Mariliths
4 Nalfeshnees
5 Vrocks.

At this point your average evil game maintainer would think: 'That'll do. My evil work is done here.'

But no. It takes a particular brand of evil to decide that every single one of them should be wide awake.

Edit: I bet the ring is a bloody mimic too...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021, 00:05   #39
archolewa
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Age: 33
Posts: 375
archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Just spent ten minutes outside of a room. Thinking.

In the middle is a ring of speed.

The problem is what is around said ring, namely:
16 Pit Fiends (out of depth)
13 Horned Reapers
9 Gelugons
8 Osyluths
6 Bile Demons
5 barbazu
3 Hezrous
3 Lesser Balrogs
4 Mariliths
4 Nalfeshnees
5 Vrocks.

At this point your average evil game maintainer would think: 'That'll do. My evil work is done here.'

But no. It takes a particular brand of evil to decide that every single one of them should be wide awake.

Edit: I bet the ring is a bloody mimic too...
Sounds like a demon pit. I'd just waddle right on by. There will be more rings of speeds *not* being sat on by an Army of the Damned.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021, 00:12   #40
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,212
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
Sounds like a demon pit. I'd just waddle right on by. There will be more rings of speeds *not* being sat on by an Army of the Damned.
It's not a pit, per se. Looks more like hell. Tonnes of larva.
But yes, I'm 99% certain I'm going to zap myself far, far away.
But the longer I look at it the more tempted I am to have a go. After all, there will always be more Half-Troll warriors, right?...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current master post-4.2.1 Nick Vanilla 241 February 28, 2021 15:12
Current master post 4.2.0 Nick Vanilla 463 June 5, 2020 03:31
Current master post-4.1.3 Nick Vanilla 505 June 16, 2019 00:26
Issues on current master Nick Vanilla 277 June 18, 2017 22:30
Bugs and complaints on current master Nick Vanilla 588 April 27, 2017 22:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.