Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 30, 2021, 18:41   #41
Hounded
Adept

Hounded is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts in line below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
A bunch of possibly dumb questions by a newbie.

How exactly do weapons work. I have a Dagger that says "1d4 (+9 +12) [+10]"

Ok, so I think it first rolls (based on my dexterity and the "___ chance to hit such a creature in melee" stat?) to see if I hit the target or miss, and the weapon gets a +9% chance to this roll? Then if I hit, it rolls a random number from 1 to 4 and increments by +12? Or do I have the 9 and 12 switched around? And what does the [+10] do?
- That'll be +9 to hit and +12 to damage. I'm fuzzy on the mechanics of how that gets executed. I generally compare weapons by inspecting/looking at them and seeing the average damage per round calculation in the extended description. The [+10] is a boost to your armour class.

Is there anyway to renew/repair a damaged helmet, shield, etc, or is the only hope to find/buy a better one?
- Scrolls of enchant armour / enchant weapon will repair negative values. To be honest I frequently find better/replacement equipment fast enough that it's seldom an issue.

Speaking of buying - I'm not very far into the game and pretty much everything at the shops is either unusable by my character or worse than the gear I already have. So at this point are the shops just worthless and my only way of improving my gear is to grind until I get lucky random drops of better stuff? If that's the case, then what is the point of all this gold I'm finding. It seems I will be unable to spend it unless there are shops with way better swag at lower levels that I haven't found yet.
- Yeah. Gold becomnes pretty much irrelevant except to replace consumables. The Black Market is worth checking and, if you're lucky, you may find something worth purchasing there but most of the time you're just going to accumulate it with not much to spend it on.

And then speaking of unusable - why are most of the spellbooks, tomes, etc, grayed out? I've already Gained all the Spells from the only 2 books my character can use - how do I go about gaining higher level spells if I can't even use the books?
- If you're a half-caster (Rogue, Ranger, Blackguard, Paladin) there will be three books readable whilst the full casters have five. The books are divided up into the different schools of magic so the grey ones will either be for a full caster of your school or a different school (As a Blackguard you won't use 2 of the Shadow Books or any of the Magic/Priest/Nature books). The final book will be a dungeon acquisition (unless you run across it in the Black Market).

Is there a way to do a *one-time* centering of the screen on my hero? I don't want continual centering but occasionally when I'm near the edge it would be nice to re-center it.
- I use the "L" command to skid around the map and generally when I cancel it I'm in a better position in terms of viewing. (workaround I guess)

And then finally, how do I gain strength and speed? My character can't carry all that much for being an 8-foot tall ubermensch, and I end up having to drop a crapton of useful items just to avoid speed penalties. Is this also a case of grinding until I get a lucky drop from some gear that boosts my stats?
- Potions: You'll encounter potions of "Brawn" or "Intellect" or such fairly early on. These restore and boost a specific stat at the expense of another so should be used with discretion. Deeper down you'll find potions of "Strength", "Intelligence", "Dexterity" and so on which are a straight boost of that stat. There are some food items which will do so as well.
- Equipment: Lots of equipment will come with boosts to one or more stats. You'll probably see this first from rings (ex. Ring of Strengh +3). Artifact equipment nearly always boosts at least one stat.
Old August 30, 2021, 19:14   #42
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You roll 1d(TOTAL TO-HIT) against (monster AC) *2/3.

Note that internally, your to-hit is 3x the displayed to-hit.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2021, 20:54   #43
Kaiman
Rookie

Kaiman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help. Ctrl+L does what I was wanting with the centering, and the weapon stuff y'all explained makes sense. Disappointing that all this gold I've been collecting is nearly useless but at least now I know.

Quote:
- If you're a half-caster (Rogue, Ranger, Blackguard, Paladin) there will be three books readable whilst the full casters have five. The books are divided up into the different schools of magic so the grey ones will either be for a full caster of your school or a different school (As a Blackguard you won't use 2 of the Shadow Books or any of the Magic/Priest/Nature books). The final book will be a dungeon acquisition (unless you run across it in the Black Market).
I'm a Druid and only two books - Lesser Charms and Gifts of Nature - seem to work for me. Every other one is greyed out when in my inventory and I can't seem to interact with it in any possible way except picking up and dropping.

Last edited by Kaiman; September 2, 2021 at 19:02.
Kaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2021, 21:04   #44
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You can read all yellow and light orange books as a druid. And books are not the only thing worth Au.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2021, 14:59   #45
Hounded
Adept

Hounded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
I'm a Druid and only two books - Lesser Charms and Gifts of Nature - seem to work for me. Every other one is greyed out when in my inventory and I can't seem to interact with it in any possible way except picking up and dropping.
The rest will be found in the dungeon. Others here will lilely be able to tell you at which depths they become common. Druid I find really fun because the progression of the spells lends itself to a different play style. Starting as a sneak then a heavy melee and ultimately high power caster in the end game.
Old September 16, 2021, 17:06   #46
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Can someone kindly tell me how the hit and run spell works? I cast the spell and nothing happens. It just says "you tense up ready to escape!". The spell description says "prepares you to teleport a short distance after stealing from a monster". But how do I steal? I try to hit the monster but it just hits him instead of stealing from him.
Old September 16, 2021, 17:59   #47
Julian
Apprentice

Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Can someone kindly tell me how the hit and run spell works? I cast the spell and nothing happens. It just says "you tense up ready to escape!". The spell description says "prepares you to teleport a short distance after stealing from a monster". But how do I steal? I try to hit the monster but it just hits him instead of stealing from him.
There’s a special command for it, ’s’.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2021, 18:08   #48
Grotug
Veteran

Thanks! Can I steel from Uniques?
Old September 16, 2021, 18:18   #49
backwardsEric
Adept

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Thanks! Can I steel from Uniques?
Yes, but what you steal get's discounted from what that unique can have if it's placed on a new level. So, you can't steal from Bullroarer, for instance, on multiple levels to get more than what he would have dropped if killed.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2021, 20:18   #50
Grotug
Veteran

I tried to steal from a sleeping Cantoras and he cried out in anger! waking everyone in the vault. Is this typical of trying to steal from Cantoras or is it sort of a low chance of happening when I steal from any high uniques?

Last edited by Grotug; September 16, 2021 at 20:29.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote