Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2015, 23:31   #1
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,009
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Movement modes

There used to be search mode, I'm not sure if it still exists,

I think it should be replaced by a list of 'movement modes' that players can toggle through.
  • Searching - increased chance of passive trap detection
  • Running - movement actions take slightly less energy
  • Recuperating - +50% HP/SP regeneration while moving
  • Chanting (mages and priests only) - double SP regeneration, no HP regeneration
  • Sneaking - increased stealth
  • Ninjaing (high level rogues only) - greatly increased stealth, drains SP
  • Singing (dwarves, priests and paladins only) - reduced stealth, Bless effect for several turns after you stop moving
  • Charging (warriors only) - melee damage bonus builds up over time and lasts for several turns after you stop moving
  • Aiming (rogues and rangers only) - missile hit bonus builds up over time and lasts for several turns after you stop moving
  • Retreating - bonus to AC and saving throws while moving
  • Levitating (high level wizards only) - avoids traps, drains SP
  • Listening (elves, hobbits and rogues only) - short-range, low-probability ESP

For the avoidance of doubt, none of these modes should have any effect when the player is standing still.

A.
__________________
Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Last edited by Antoine; September 21, 2015 at 00:37.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015, 02:54   #2
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
There used to be search mode, I'm not sure if it still exists,

I think it should be replaced by a list of 'movement modes' that players can toggle through.
  • Searching - increased chance of passive trap detection
  • Running - movement actions take slightly less energy
  • Recuperating - +50% HP/SP regeneration while moving
  • Chanting (mages and priests only) - double SP regeneration, no HP regeneration
  • Sneaking - increased stealth
  • Ninjaing (high level rogues only) - greatly increased stealth, drains SP
  • Singing (dwarves, priests and paladins only) - reduced stealth, Bless effect for several turns after you stop moving
  • Charging (warriors only) - melee damage bonus builds up over time and lasts for several turns after you stop moving
  • Aiming (rogues and rangers only) - missile hit bonus builds up over time and lasts for several turns after you stop moving
  • Retreating - bonus to AC and saving throws while moving
  • Levitating (high level wizards only) - avoids traps, drains SP
  • Listening (elves, hobbits and rogues only) - short-range, low-probability ESP

For the avoidance of doubt, none of these modes should have any effect when the player is standing still.

A.
This honestly sounds a lot like the Sil song system. This isn't a bad thing, I think it's quite a good system.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015, 22:15   #3
bio_hazard
Knight
 
bio_hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 633
bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
ToME 2.X had two modes to tinker with. This may be as much due to UI implementation as anything, but it was sometimes a pain to have to move from one mode to the other every time you wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Then you'd forget to go back to fast mode after searching for traps at - 15 speed and get swarmed by snagas.


That said- I think this would be fun. Would be great to add Taunt/Shout to get temporary Aggravate. Not just for luring monsters into more favorable terrain, but how cool would it be to have monsters follow you, phase into a nearby corridor, then leave them in the dust. Singing should aggro as well.

Something like Aiming/Charging should just be passive imo. These modes are only interesting if in choosing to toggle over to one you are giving something up. It's possible to design these to have a negative as well, but as described it sounds more like an ability than a tactic.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015, 23:18   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,230
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
ToME 2.X had two modes to tinker with. This may be as much due to UI implementation as anything, but it was sometimes a pain to have to move from one mode to the other every time you wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Then you'd forget to go back to fast mode after searching for traps at - 15 speed and get swarmed by snagas.
My feeling is that the best way to do something like this would be to have a standard mode; the player could then choose to go into an alternate mode, but would drop back to standard after a certain (fixed or player-set) time.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 00:10   #5
emulord
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 207
emulord is on a distinguished road
Too many choices can overwhelm players, so I the list should be reduced in size.

DoomRL has a couple movement modes. Berzerk (powerup, automatic), Running, Cautious (can switch to Running), Tired (After running). One button to start running. This works well.

I think a couple things could be combined in your list.
Warriors don't run, they charge.
Rogues and Rangers Aim while they Sneak
Hobbits, Elves, Rogues Listen while they Search
Combine Chanting and Singing.
High Level Wizards Levitate while they Chant

This takes the list down to Sneak, Run, Search, Chant, Retreat, Recuperating, (Ninjaing), which is manageable for even new players. Cycle through with a keypress for 0 time, or a 2 step menu would work on the UI side
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 02:18   #6
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,009
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
My feeling is that the best way to do something like this would be to have a standard mode; the player could then choose to go into an alternate mode, but would drop back to standard after a certain (fixed or player-set) time.
How about flicking back to 'standard' whenever they arrived in a new level?

It would be good, also, if none of the modes was very disadvantageous in fighting. Ie none should reduce your speed. Then, it would not matter too much if you were in the wrong mode by accident.

A.
__________________
Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 02:20   #7
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,009
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Too many choices can overwhelm players, so I the list should be reduced in size.

DoomRL has a couple movement modes. Berzerk (powerup, automatic), Running, Cautious (can switch to Running), Tired (After running). One button to start running. This works well.

I think a couple things could be combined in your list.
Warriors don't run, they charge.
Rogues and Rangers Aim while they Sneak
Hobbits, Elves, Rogues Listen while they Search
Combine Chanting and Singing.
High Level Wizards Levitate while they Chant

This takes the list down to Sneak, Run, Search, Chant, Retreat, Recuperating, (Ninjaing), which is manageable for even new players. Cycle through with a keypress for 0 time, or a 2 step menu would work on the UI side
Yeah, sounds broadly sensible.

I think the key thing is to make sure that all but a few modes are class-, race- or level- dependent - so that a L1 Human Warrior will have only a handful of choices. I don't see a problem if a L50 High Elf Rogue has many options.

A.
__________________
Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 02:22   #8
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,009
Antoine is on a distinguished road
If you wanted to implement this in a limited way for the next release, you could put in just a few modes - say, Searching, Sneaking and Running. More could be added later.

A.
__________________
Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 03:16   #9
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Yeah, sounds broadly sensible.

I think the key thing is to make sure that all but a few modes are class-, race- or level- dependent - so that a L1 Human Warrior will have only a handful of choices. I don't see a problem if a L50 High Elf Rogue has many options.

A.
Why would we want low-level characters to have few options? The early game's boring enough as it is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015, 03:47   #10
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,009
Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Why would we want low-level characters to have few options? The early game's boring enough as it is.
There's bound to be some kind of compromise here

A.
__________________
Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interface: Diagonal movement lagi Sil 5 November 18, 2014 00:54
Movement Delay Bug [3.3.1] AltF4 Vanilla 13 April 29, 2012 06:20
[FA] What are the modes? Sealer Variants 4 February 24, 2009 08:40
Smarter Movement ... please have a look TJA Vanilla 0 August 21, 2007 17:14
[Z] Anyone ever beat the nightmare or ironman modes? quaxocal Variants 8 July 26, 2007 20:18


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.