Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old August 26, 2017, 05:53   #601
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
I agree that spending too much effort trying to curb cheating in an honor-system-based just-for-fun competition without any rewards is just silly. (And in any case people could always just edit the character dump to say whatever they want since it's just a text file.)

I will say though that (depending on how important/involved ID is in that particular variant), knowing these kinds of things can affect player enjoyment (as Gwarl said)
even if they don't make much of a difference to the integrity of the competition.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 21:17   #602
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I always turn flavors off, anyway, and don't bother to remember which one was what. If it was something bad, like an early ?deep descent, the mangled scroll name is gone before I have the chance to memorize it. Although, I guess I could go back through the message list and see if it's there. I just never bother.

I do think it important that each comp player starts with the same town setup, shop contents, equipment and inventory, and stats. Where turncount matters, the location of home and shops relative to the stairs can make a difference. Contents of shops can certainly make a difference (e.g., a good sling).

As for the capability of having the same starting level by immediately descending the stairs, the only time I've ever used that was in the latest FA comp, but given all the blood and very few winners, I don't think it mattered at all.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2017, 05:14   #603
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Nightmare-mode compo

For the future, I propose that we should have a Nightmare mode compo from a certain variant of Zangband, whether it's Z itself, Heng, or PCB 7.0.0. What do you think?

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017, 16:11   #604
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
October competition is already decided on, it's just a secret. And I'm pretty sure what December will be. November is up for discussion though, might see a Z or Heng comp there.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote