Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 15, 2020, 04:02   #41
ster
Rookie

ster is an unknown quantity at this point
Riding is a great option for a character that wants to progress through strategy.
Old April 21, 2020, 16:08   #42
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Best =Archery ever?

Too bad I'm playing a great hell wyrm!

Code:
a Ring of Archery (+14,+34) (+3) {Dx;Xm A:Dimension Door}
   Dropped by Glaaki on level 77 of Angband
    +3 to DEX
    It increases the multiplier of your bow

Activation: Dimension Door
    Info:       range 35
    Fail:       5.6%
    Timeout:    100

Score:   54.8k (L72)
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2020, 12:39   #43
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
Too bad I'm playing a great hell wyrm!

Code:
a Ring of Archery (+14,+34) (+3) {Dx;Xm A:Dimension Door}
   Dropped by Glaaki on level 77 of Angband
    +3 to DEX
    It increases the multiplier of your bow

Activation: Dimension Door
    Info:       range 35
    Fail:       5.6%
    Timeout:    100

Score:   54.8k (L72)
Take it with you into the Renegade Sorceror quest, it can save your life there!
Old April 23, 2020, 19:00   #44
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Instant coffee, so not this time.
And my final reforge would have been such a nice combo with the other ring
Code:
The Ring of Lohengrin (+9,+7) (+5) {SrIf;CoDk;FaSiXs}
   Reforged at Fighter's Hall
   +5 to Searching, Infravision, Shooting Speed
   Resist Cold, Dark
   Free Action; See Invisible
   It reminds you of the artifact of Lohengrin.
   It cannot be harmed by the elements.
   Score: 53.9k (L15)
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020, 18:40   #45
GrimaTheBold
Rookie

GrimaTheBold is on a distinguished road
I have questions about character builds for Priests. Is it okay to keep adding questions to this thread instead of starting a new thread?

Looking at Ladder, the most common spell schools I see for the second school is either Chaos or Nature. Am I correct in assuming that if Chaos is chosen, the character will heavily use spells for offense (fire bolt, etc)? And that if Nature is chosen, the character will rely more heavily on melee?

I find Chaos frustrating because most of their offensive spells destroy objects on the ground, meaning that after a large battle a lot of the loot is gone. I assume I'm not missing any obvious secret to prevent that and it comes with the territory. I just worry that my end-game (if I ever get there) my stockpile of consumables will be low because of all the !Healing/?Genocide destroyed on the ground.

How strong is Life/Crusade, played similarly to a Vanilla priest, using Holy Orb as their Orb of Draining?

What would the most OP build be for a priest (other than Munchkin)? And which demigod is stronger choice, Hermes or Hera?
GrimaTheBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2020, 05:01   #46
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Chaos is a fairly offense-oriented realm option, but you can still try to play it as support for melee, which will also help with the loot destruction You can also try to lure monsters away from other monsters' loot before you throw something item-destroying at them.

Holy Orb will be hard to rely on it to the same extent as Orb of Draining in V because it's more expensive than for V priests, and moreover otherwise identical to its V cousin while monsters are often stronger or have more HP.

Not entirely sure what the most OP priest combo would be, but death/sorcery would have to be up there, both of those are very strong realms and sorcery plays well as realm 2 because it has so much good stuff in the early books. Would go with Hera over Hermes if the choice is between those two, the speed bonus on Hermes demigods only develops at a rate of +1 per 10 levels which is too slow to help much in the early game.
Old April 26, 2020, 17:36   #47
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
Just returned from a sabbatical in a better place. A place where death is but temporary, and even the fiercest battles are only about as harmless as a brawl among children. Now I feel reinvigorated enough to enter the fray once more! Please find below my feedback on my first "serious" attempt at FrogComposband.

Tried Beginner mode because I'm undecided on whether I like wilderness, and because otherwise I tend to give difficult characters a try before I'm ready for them. Still, felt overwhelmed with the many town buildings at first and am still not always sure whether I fully take advantage of the town. Also, as with every Poschenglike I first had to get used to the difficulties of fully id'ing stuff. Hopefully things will be easier soon. Looking forward to playing with a mount from now on

Bugs
  • shift + NumPad never causes my character to run, neither with or wothout capslock. I'm using a QWERTZ keyboard on Windows 10.
  • Tried several dozen times to capture a Scrawny horse in town, in vain. I did reduce its HP to one * (and threw a spike at it as needed).
Tweaks
  • let the game start with the most important sub windows readily set up. This should be a great help for beginners.
  • I would switch off selling for beginners so they can bring all the consumables they need and worry less about leaving behind the wrong items
  • if you can't buy 'a'll items from a given stack, 'a' should make you buy "as many as you can afford" instead
  • in coffee-break mode, certain shops could open only after the PC has reached a certain level. Too many shops are likely to overwhelm new players, and no DL1/CL1 character will want to e.g. have mutations removed. Once a shop opens and the character returns to the surface, there could be a message like "The people are talking about a recently-opened <building>!"
  • macros should be deactivated in shops and other town buildings. That way, you can also use lower-case characters as triggers for macros.

Manual

MonsterRaces.txt Vampire
  • Missing an "a" before "true prince of darkness"

monster.txt. Pets and Riding
  • please explain why a pet sometimes just "escapes" when you release it (happened to half of my captives!). Was my CHR too low?
  • also, would be good to know how to keep pets around when you e.g leave a level. (Though, as you mentioned elsewhere, it's usually best to get yourself new pets if keeping the old ones becomes too complicated.)

Last edited by caruso; April 26, 2020 at 18:22.
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 22:33   #48
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso View Post
shift + NumPad never causes my character to run, neither with or wothout capslock. I'm using a QWERTZ keyboard on Windows 10.
This could be explained if you have the online_macros option turned on. It's also possible the game is interpreting your numpad keys as End/Down/PgDn etc. or KP_1/KP_2/KP_3 etc. instead of 1/2/3 etc., which would still let you walk but not use Shift to run; that problem would be solved by toggling numlock.

Quote:
Tried several dozen times to capture a Scrawny horse in town, in vain. I did reduce its HP to one * (and threw a spike at it as needed).
I think I know what's causing this - the code currently checks if the monster's HP is lower than randint0(X) (a random integer lower than X) where X depends on the monster's maximum HP; and scrawny horses can have max HP so low that X is 1, so randint0(X) is always 0 and the horse must have less than 0 HP to be captureable. Of course, if it has less than 0 HP, it's dead.

I am not entirely sure whether to call this an actual bug or just unexpected behavior, but it probably could and should be "fixed" anyway by allowing capture at equal values. This will make capturing slightly easier, but for monsters with more HP the difference would be minimal.

Quote:
Let the game start with the most important sub windows readily set up. This should be a great help for beginners.
It would be somewhat hard to set that up since each platform supports subwindows in different ways; but more importantly, I'm not sure it would be good at all. Subwindows are by no means necessary, each player who does use them wants them set up differently, and having monster-list and object-list subwindows ready might discourage beginners from using the 'Y'/'[' and 'O'/']' commands at all - and so they'd miss out on all the extra functionality those commands offer that the corresponding subwindows do not.

Quote:
I would switch off selling for beginners so they can bring all the consumables they need and worry less about leaving behind the wrong items
I have so far not made that change because having selling off by default would confuse new players a lot more than having selling on by default does (I've seen it confuse enough people in V!), and also because selling on is both traditional and more "complete" than selling off.

Many experienced players do prefer selling off, so making it the default would be by no means unreasonable; but if it ever does become the default, it wouldn't be for beginners only. It's specifically to accommodate the beginners that it isn't the default already!

Quote:
if you can't buy 'a'll items from a given stack, 'a' should make you buy "as many as you can afford" instead
This gave me a double-take because I've never used 'a' this way at all. (Indeed, there is no specific "type 'a' for 'all'" feature, it's just that all non-numeric input defaults to the maximum allowed by the prompt.)

In practice, this would be implemented by outright limiting the prompt to the amount you can afford; which is already done in V and is probably a good idea.

Quote:
Macros should be deactivated in shops and other town buildings. That way, you can also use lower-case characters as triggers for macros.
This would be somewhat hard to implement; and lower-case characters can be safely used as triggers for keymaps, which are good enough for mapping spells and most other common commands.

Quote:
Missing an "a" before "true prince of darkness"
Thanks.

Quote:
Please explain why a pet sometimes just "escapes" when you release it (happened to half of my captives!). Was my CHR too low?
Would guess it's because their HP was too low; the help does note that pets retain some self-preservation instincts and may escape from the level at very low health. Give them more time to regain HP in the capture ball before releasing them.

Last edited by Sideways; April 26, 2020 at 22:40.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020, 07:02   #49
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
'Die, mortal' chaos patron gift did not summon monsters during a Thalos Arena fight. Bug or intended... because it was a Town Arena fight?

Since walking into walls (confused or not) does not consume any gameturns, any plan to make it consume gameturns in the future?
Old April 27, 2020, 07:26   #50
Sideways
Knight

Walking into a wall while confused (or hallucinating) does consume a turn (I did say this to you before...).

Walking into a wall while not confused does not consume a turn and absolutely should not, that would be disastrous anti-quality-of-life.

Summons don't work in the arena, the only exceptions are for quylthulgs and for rings attempting to lure a ring-bearer. (Even piranha traps don't work in the arena because the piranhas would have to be summoned.)

Last edited by Sideways; April 27, 2020 at 07:31.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband