Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 27, 2009, 20:15   #1
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quick Term_erase question.

And the question is ... what's this bit in aid of?

Code:
	if ((n > 0) && (scr_cc[x] == (char) -1) && (scr_aa[x] == 255))
	{
		x--;
		n++;
	}
Apart from not understanding it and wanting to my problem is that I am using wchar_t not char for text so that "(char) -1" and "255" might well not be compatible with the rest of the code now.

Incidentally, if I was going to guess, I'd suspect it might have something to do with BIGTILE mode? (Maybe not).

[EDIT] Yeah, looks like it's BIGTILE stuff. I think I've got a handle on it, but I guess I'll end up changing some code for this.

Last edited by PaulBlay; May 27, 2009 at 20:34.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 06:08   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ain't that some nice 80's-style code. Sweet!

It's stepping back the pad character of a tile in double-wide mode.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 06:34   #3
PaulBlay
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Ain't that some nice 80's-style code. Sweet!
Tell me about it. There don't seem to be any #defines for attribute values so you just have to hope somebody left a comment or hope your psychic powers are up to stuff.

Quote:
It's stepping back the pad character of a tile in double-wide mode.
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I'm going to have to do similar stuff for handling double-width characters as well.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:39   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I can write it more efficiently, if you like. The if statement is unnecessarily verbose.
Code:
         (n > 0) && (scr_cc[x] == (char) -1) && (scr_aa[x] == 255) && (x--, n++);
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:24   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBlay View Post
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I'm going to have to do similar stuff for handling double-width characters as well.
Andrew Doull has extended this for double and triple tiles - which I stole for FA. Working that out and debugging edge effect issues was a lot of fun You may find it useful to look at one of those implementations (Un or FA or O110u), or you may have a neater way of doing it.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:28   #6
PaulBlay
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Andrew Doull has extended this for double and triple tiles - which I stole for FA.
Thanks, I'll probably have a look at that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
or you may have a neater way of doing it.
That seems unlikely.
Old May 28, 2009, 13:58   #7
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBlay View Post
And the question is ... what's this bit in aid of?

Code:
	if ((n > 0) && (scr_cc[x] == (char) -1) && (scr_aa[x] == 255))
	{
		x--;
		n++;
	}
Apart from not understanding it and wanting to my problem is that I am using wchar_t not char for text so that "(char) -1" and "255" might well not be compatible with the rest of the code now.
(char)(-1) is just plain living dangerously. It's a warning silencer because char isn't guaranteed to be equivalent to signed char.

scr_aa originally was unsigned char; 255 is UCHAR_MAX assuming CHAR_BIT is 8 (which the entire V codebase does, I put a preprocessor test for this into Zaiband to trigger a preprocessing error on such unsupported systems).

If you're not using a proper UNICODE library, try WCHAR_MAX (C++) or WINT_MAX (C) in place of 255/UCHAR_MAX. [Note that the standards do *not* guarantee any particular encoding for wchar_t/wint_t . As usual, Solaris will give you a porting sunburn.] Note that you will want to use a proper UNICODE library, because Linux will railroad you into UTF-8 while Windows demands you use UCS-2 in practice.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 14:19   #8
PaulBlay
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
(char)(-1) is just plain living dangerously. It's a warning silencer because char isn't guaranteed to be equivalent to signed char.

scr_aa originally was unsigned char; 255 is UCHAR_MAX assuming CHAR_BIT is 8 (which the entire V codebase does, I put a preprocessor test for this into Zaiband to trigger a preprocessing error on such unsupported systems).

If you're not using a proper UNICODE library, try WCHAR_MAX (C++) or WINT_MAX (C) in place of 255/UCHAR_MAX.
I can see I'm going to have to stare blankly at the Term* functions for a few days for it to seep in.

Quote:
[Note that the standards do *not* guarantee any particular encoding for wchar_t/wint_t . As usual, Solaris will give you a porting sunburn.] Note that you will want to use a proper UNICODE library, because Linux will railroad you into UTF-8 while Windows demands you use UCS-2 in practice.
My, admittedly simplistic, reasoning is that it's going to be hard enough to get everything working in Windows XP - I'll worry about the rest after I get that far. This is after all as much about practice getting my hands dirty with C++ as it is anything else as I'm very much a novice.