Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old January 31, 2019, 08:34   #11
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Wanderlust is on a distinguished road
L27. 4-3. A mage drops a potion of brawn, STR goes up to 13, WIS suffers, lucky.

L28. 5-5. A small and weakly-defended vault takes me to CL 27 (136 HP, 82 SP). Interesting treasures inside: a pair of randart amulets and a pair of Arkenstones, each set with partly overlapping properties.

The first amulet: the Jewel of Alfindair grants +3 STR, +2 infravision, +1 light, resists lightning, fire, cold and sound, slow digestion, and free action. 16 STR will help a lot with my weight problems. The second amulet: the Amulet of Eredrie with +3 intelligence, +4 wisdom, acid immunity, resist fire and free action. Interesting choice. Boiling it down, at the moment I need strength, but in the long run +3 INT might be worth more. I wear Alfindair and put Eredrie into my pack.

Next, the Arkenstones. the first is 'Ciredhron', which offers 3 light, +3 constitution, resist fire and has a great activation which maps the whole level, sensing objects. Next to it is the Arkenstone of Aranen, which gives 3 light, +3 wisdom, sustains STR, and has the exact same activation. Well, WIS does very little for me while +3 CON increases my HP almost 20% to 163, so Ciredhron goes around my neck while Aranen remains on the floor where I found it. Only problem is, by switching light sources I can no longer see invisible. So I keep my true sight lantern in my pack. This "mini-enlightenment" activation is going to make exploration a lot easier and safer from now on, and free up inventory.

After the dust settles, I learn Teleport Other, which is now down to 33% fail rate, low enough to be useful in some situations.

Beorn the Shape-Changer is hanging out with a bunch of grizzly, cave, and were-bears, but I meet him as he runs to greet me while I'm exterminating a room full of black ogres and lemures. 1 speed potion, 1 fire bolt and 31 acid bolts kill him. He drops only a useless lochhaber axe.

Before leaving, I take advantage of my increased strength by picking up a short bow of power (x2) (+3,+15) to replace the long bow I dropped 2 levels ago.

L29. 3-6. This is a mini-maze level and Boldor, king of the yeeks, is hanging out near my entry point with a squad of master, brown and blue yeeks. I back into a corridor to minimize the yeek summoning and dispatch Boldor with 7 fire bolts. He drops the set of leather gloves 'Niangion' (+1,+2) [1,+11], which give +1 light, and resist light and poison. They'd be great, but they seem to mess up my casting a little too much, so on the floor they stay.

L30. 9-7. Omens of death haunt this place; Alfindair's activation shows why: 2 decent-sized vaults on this level.

The smaller vault consists of 4 independent chambers. The toughest monsters inside are a doombat and a young red dragon, so it looks like easy pickings. Inside I find studded leather armor of resistance (-1) [12,+5], which I put on since rAcid hasn't been covered until now, and a potion of toughness that raises my CON to 18/20 and HP to 170 while pinging WIS.

On the way to the larger vault, I find a brawn potion on the floor: STR now 17, WIS pinged again, down to 8.

The larger vault has a wide open area and 8 small chambers. 4 nexus hounds guard the entrance, so I open a side entrance. The hounds die to acid bolts. In the process they manage to breathe on me several times, but nothing really bad seems to happen. How dangerous are these things really? I have no clue. Is permanent nexus stat scramble still a real thing in Angband?

Inside the vault, a young multi-hued dragon drops a potion of STR which brings my STR to 18/21. Now we're talking. A potion of brawn takes my STR up to 18/44 but pings INT, lowering SP to 68. A chaos drake drops the leather gloves of Aragon [1,+24], which give +2 WIS, +4 DEX, and rElec. Honestly I prefer my gloves of free action, so I leave these. The toughest defender of the vault is Thuringwethil, the Vampire Messenger. I haste self, line up, teleport him away. In his chamber is a large metal shield of Elvenkind [12,+13] with +1 stealth and resists to all 4 base elements and nexus; an excellent upgrade to my shield of resist fire.

When the dust settles, I realize somewhere along the way I achieved CL 28.

L31. 8-6. I enter right next to a a large "crown-shaped" vault filled tough things like an AMHD. Avoiding this for now, I check out the rest of the level. A young blue dragon drops a potion of strength, which takes my STR to 18/62.

The vault actually isn't so tough; I'm able to kill everything with a combo of haste self and various elemental attacks except a cloud giant and the AMHD, which I teleport away. In the vault:

a) the jewel 'Siandi': +4 constitution, resist light and poison, protects from fear and blindness. I'd leave it here since I already have 2 more interesting randart amulets, except for the fact this is my only source of rPois right now. In the pack it goes, along with the other.

b) a fur cloak of the Magi [3,+11], +1 and sustains intelligence, +2 stealth. Wearing this brings INT to 18/89 and SP to 85; stealth is still superb. A keeper.

c) a morning star of *slay animal* that grants +2 intelligence, which I swap in place of the *slay troll* spear I've been carrying around; SP now 113.

d) a copy of Resistances of Scarabtrices. I learn Resist Cold, Resist Fire, Resist Poison, and Resistances.

e) a robe of resistance [2,+18] which is a straight upgrade to the studded leather armor of resistance I picked up just upstairs.

f) a short bow of power (x2) (+9,+25) which is a nice upgrade to the one I picked up a few levels ago, along with some arrows of venom (+8,+10). These arrows can now do 75.7/189.3 damage/round, my most powerful attack.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 09:24   #12
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Nice Wanderlust! Keep it going! I like reading these journals. Your diary here inspired me to write one of my own.

I did choose Kobold Mage, added semi-aggressive diving to ironman challenge and started writing. Oh, and I did it in current developing version, where Mage has a somewhat different spell set.
Died in 2500 ft to a neekerbreekered master mystic, 100% my own fault, though bad luck was involved. My character was nowhere near as strong as yours. After like 2000ft, I could barely kill anything anymore. Just dive deeper and see how things turn out. Well, it ended to a master mystic's fist

You do have a great character there. Two Arkenstones by D:28! Even one of those artifacts basically nullify a need of any detection items besides for monster location (and for that you do have spells).
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 13:59   #13
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Nice Wanderlust! Keep it going! I like reading these journals. Your diary here inspired me to write one of my own.
That's great! I hope you have a great time with it. So far this has been making my experience with Angband more fun and rewarding, though slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
I did choose Kobold Mage, added semi-aggressive diving to ironman challenge and started writing. Oh, and I did it in current developing version, where Mage has a somewhat different spell set.
Died in 2500 ft to a neekerbreekered master mystic, 100% my own fault, though bad luck was involved. My character was nowhere near as strong as yours. After like 2000ft, I could barely kill anything anymore. Just dive deeper and see how things turn out. Well, it ended to a master mystic's fist
Too bad! When you could barely kill anything at 2000 ft, you dove deeper quicker? That's exactly when I would probably have been exploring every nook and cranny, looking for any little edge.... Is that kind of a "double or nothing" strategy?
Old January 31, 2019, 14:05   #14
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I'll give you my +4 INT Bastard Sword of Bregol for your main gauche.
Well, I had to drop that main gauche, although it was a nice one ... would you be interested in a morning star of *slay animal*?

Quote:
Ohh... nevermind, I forgot my Half-Troll Warrior died to a poison attack by a 7 headed hydra.
Ouch! Hydras can be really dangerous.
Old January 31, 2019, 16:28   #15
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I had 193hp so I guess he *just* killed me. I often forget how dangerous 7 headed hydras are. I've died from that monster many times. You'd think I'd learn!

Things are certainly looking up for your mage, there! If I's was you, I'd swap in the +4 CON/rPois amulet over the +3 STR one. Do you become overburdened if you do that? Dying to Drolems, AMHDs and Greater Basilisks is a thing you know. :P
Old January 31, 2019, 17:43   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I never do that because 1) there are trap doors and 2) you can ID by use Teleport Level and 3) sometimes you need to bail out of dangerous situations without having the time to go to stairs and 4) I would probably forget what I drop half of the time
I have absolutely done this. Indeed I have flat-out forgotten my stash and just merrily climbed down the stairs, only to immediately realize I just lost a lot of useful consumables.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 18:34   #17
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Too bad! When you could barely kill anything at 2000 ft, you dove deeper quicker? That's exactly when I would probably have been exploring every nook and cranny, looking for any little edge.... Is that kind of a "double or nothing" strategy?
I wanted to try a low turncount in addition to ironman challenge. I had high enough stealth to manage but my HP and offenses were just not good enough. Also the death scene was a very sloppy play.

I did post the morgue here. I can post the journal in other thread too if somebody really wants to read bad english and few curse words

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22274
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 21:32   #18
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had 193hp so I guess he *just* killed me. I often forget how dangerous 7 headed hydras are. I've died from that monster many times. You'd think I'd learn!

Things are certainly looking up for your mage, there! If I's was you, I'd swap in the +4 CON/rPois amulet over the +3 STR one. Do you become overburdened if you do that? Dying to Drolems, AMHDs and Greater Basilisks is a thing you know. :P
Well, when someone has 136 HP-s (or a few more with the 1 more CL as he wrote), AMHD and Greater Basilisk are bad news anyway and biggest problem is probably not thinking about the poison resistance
The point is valid, but as a mage you simply need to detect and always need to know what you will face (and you can switch if needed). At that depth/HP combo there are more monsters i try to avoid if possible (i hate ethereal drakes...).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019, 08:18   #19
Wanderlust
Apprentice

L32. 5-2. Shagrat the Orc Captain takes 6 frost bolts and drops a ring of speed +8, a great replacement for my ring of lightning. A doombat takes me to CL 29 (182 HP, 117 SP). On the floor is an iron helm of intelligence [7,+9] <+1>, which brings INT to 18/119 and SP to 131. Before leaving, I learn Frost Ball, now down to 2% fail rate.

L33. 5-5. Nothing of interest here except a potion of constitution that grants CON 18/30, 189 HP.

L34. 5-8. A young black dragon drops the ball-and-chain 'Nindi' (+6,+17): slays undead, demons, animals, resist lightning and nether, protection from confusion and stunning, regeneration. Nice, but I prefer my +2 INT morning star, so I leave Nindi where the dragon dropped it. An ogre shaman drops 2 potions of intellect that ping my wisdom and dexterity, but increase my intelligence to 18/152 and my SP to 189, same as my HP, which I take as another good omen.

Draebor, the imp is waiting in a corner room with a few manes. He summons and teleports, but dies after taking 7 acid bolts. His drop includes the bastard sword 'Cirnilith' (+11,+15), which offers +1 intelligence, +3 infravision, +2 attack speed, free action, and a couple slays. I just can't see myself using this weapon, so I stubbornly keep my morning star of *slay animal*, which has +2 intelligence.

All that's left here is a large vault, packed with dark elves of all kinds, led by Nar. It doesn't seem to dangerous, so I just walk in. When Nar comes for me, I'm at +18 speed so I hit him with 7 acid bolts before he can really respond. His drop is just more dungeon junk.

But in the vault:

a) a potion of augmentation; constitution increases to 18/52, 203 HP.

b) a potion of toughness that pings wisdom and brings CON to 18/82, 240 HP.

c) a golden crown of the Magi: +1 intelligence, rBase, sustain intelligence, ESP. A straight upgrade from the +1 helm of intelligence I picked up a couple levels ago. ESP will help a lot from now on.

d) a potion of intellect that pings my strength and raises INT to 18/171, 218 SP.

e) the Phial of Braglin: 3 light, +3 wisdom, rDisenchant, free action. I'd take this if I didn't have the Arkenstones.

f) a +3 ring of intelligence. At this point, my stealth is still superb even without the ring of the mouse, so I ditch the mouse ring and take this one. This brings me to 18/201 INT and 233 SP.

L35. 5-3. Azog, king of the Uruk-Hai, and his kid Bolg are camped out with a whole bunch of mixed orc-types near my entry point. None of them resist acid nor have +18 speed. Azog takes 15 acid bolts but Bolg only takes 8. Their drop includes leather sandals of speed [1,+7] <+4>, excellent since my feet are currently bare. My base speed is now +12. This level is infested with bats of Gorgoroth; one drops a potion of constitution that takes me to 18/98 CON and 254 HP.

L36. 5-3. A pack of mumakil nets me over 12,000 experience and CL 30 (266 HP, 241 SP).

L37. 4-4. A cave level, all narrow twisty passageways. Lokkak, the ogre chieftain is sleeping right down the hall from my entry point with a large band of assorted ogres. I back up down the hallway, accelerate to +22, and let loose with acid bolts. It takes 25 acid bolts and 1 phase door to kill him. He drops the ring of Mindinim, which offers +2 DEX, +4 CON, +4 speed, resists lightning and shards, and free action. Is this better than my new +3 ring of intelligence? Yes, I think so. SP go down from 241 to 226, HP go up from 266 to 326, base speed goes from +12 to +16.

Gorbag, the orc captain takes 7 acid bolts and drops nothing I can use.
Old February 3, 2019, 06:32   #20
Wanderlust
Apprentice

L38. 5-3. Lorgan, chief of the Easterlings is hanging out in a room with 6 easterling champions. Killing Lorgan is no simple matter. A little experimentation demonstrates he resists all my elemental attacks. He summons demons, vampire lords, wraiths, mature dragons, fast-breeding worms, and more. It takes 19 arrows and 37 magic missiles to kill him. His only drop is leather armor of resistance that's worse than the robe of resistance I'm already wearing. But killing all the things he summons takes me to CL 31 (334 HP, 233 SP).

L39. 5-4. Just passing through. Where are the stairs?

L40. 5-4. Nothing to report except potions of intelligence and constitution dropped by wandering monsters, that take my intelligence 18/171 to 18/176 and increase my constitution to 18/151. Now 365 HP.

An ancient green dragon reminds me that my amulet set-up is probably embarassingly suboptimal at this point, so I dump 2 randart amulets (Alfindair, a strength booster, and Eredrie, +3 INT) and wear Siandi for +4 CON and—finally—rPois. This improves my HP from 365 to 474.

L41. 5-4. A master yeek drops a copy of Raal's Tome of Destruction. I learn Shock Wave, Explosion, Cloud Kill, and Acid Ball. Perfect for engaging with the Queen Ant and her entourage, who are hanging out in a small room nearby. What with 4 new area-effect spells, multiple ant summons almost every turn, and teleports/chasing across the level, the resulting scuffle is too chaotic to keep track of who's getting hit with what, but eventually the Queen Ant dies. She drops the short bow of Silost (x4) (14,+30), which has +2 shooting power, resistance to acid, fire, cold, and poison, and paralysis prevention. Now I have a way to deliver real damage—for example, my arrows of venom now do 177.4/310.6 damage/round.

I come across a rapier of Gondolin and finally replace the morning star of *slay animal* (+2 INT) I've been carrying for the last 10 levels, just to have a permanent source of see invisible instead of carrying a lantern of true sight as a swap. My SP drop from 233 to 202 as a result. Honestly I'm not really sure whether or not this is a good choice. How important is see invisible when you have ESP?