AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 24, 2020, 19:38   #71
whartung
Apprentice

whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
When I was making the suggestion, I was imagining that bloated no longer slows you...
Well, before, >80% was bloated. I don't know how much food the current healing system is consuming. So, the question is now how much time is 20 extra food points (i.e. unslowed "full") going to buy a character in combat?
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2020, 00:16   #72
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Well, before, >80% was bloated. I don't know how much food the current healing system is consuming. So, the question is now how much time is 20 extra food points (i.e. unslowed "full") going to buy a character in combat?
Not enough, to my mind. Try clearing a vault without healing! It's really messed up. You go a ways in the vault, fighting monsters and healing as needed, but there's not any food sources. You have to abandon the vault and recall home to get food, or as ironman you just starve to death. It just encourages TO of everything remotely dangerous and eschewing melee almost completely. That might be fine for mage type characters, but melee characters are inordinately screwed over by the changes.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2020, 00:25   #73
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
It just encourages TO of everything remotely dangerous and eschewing melee almost completely. That might be fine for mage type characters, but melee characters are inordinately screwed over by the changes.
This is mostly what I do anyway with vaults, even with melee characters. The way I see it, unless you're a sneaky type, you're better off diving 20 floors and finding the same damn thing on the floor, more lightly guarded. Especially since if I try to fight the monsters in the vaults, I end up burning way more consumables than is usually worth it.

Before the endgame, I view vaults as a source of treasure for rogues and mages. Warriors get their treasure by killing lots of at-depth-or-higher monsters.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2020, 18:53   #74
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Found a lantern(??). When I examine it "provides protection from blindness", yet I don't know the rune & pblind is displaying a ? in the light column.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2020, 00:02   #75
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Last Win version (angband-win-82-4.2.1-g4da93f743) doesn't run, game closes immediately.
Old September 23, 2020, 01:02   #76
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Last Win version (angband-win-82-4.2.1-g4da93f743) doesn't run, game closes immediately.
Might be due to lack of angband.ini - does the problem persist if you grab a copy of angband.ini from a previously installed Angband?
Old September 23, 2020, 07:50   #77
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Might be due to lack of angband.ini - does the problem persist if you grab a copy of angband.ini from a previously installed Angband?
Still doesn't work. The regular 4.2.1 version launches fine without an ini and creates it, the angband-win-82-4.2.1-g4da93f743 version stops working at "loading basic pref file" even with an ini.
Old September 23, 2020, 15:22   #78
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Rod of Detection is ridiculously underpriced. Jusrmt bought my first one for 9000GP, valuation is 3000GP. 20000 and 60000 is closer to accurate. Certainly it is worth as much as the a average Elvenkind armor
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2020, 23:03   #79
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
There have been a few updates since the last Windows build, mostly by backwardsEric and others, Mac build on the nightlies page and source on github. I'll try to get a Windows build done soon, and see if I can see what's up with the .ini problem and other possible issues.
Old September 27, 2020, 04:12   #80
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
The latest build (source and Mac builds on the nightlies page, Windows build here) has some more fixes from backwardsEric, and another attempted solution to food issues.

The food fix is that potions are reverted to their previous behaviour (ie adding 1% to food bar), and digestion has been massively sped up for characters with the 'Full' status. Let me know how this plays.