Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old April 7, 2016, 14:25   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Interesting. I thought that by removing all the base weapon items, artifacts would not be able to be generated. Guess I was wrong! Doesn't seem worth a rebuild over though. Besides, you'll probably want the weapon slot as a stat stick if anyone manages to make it to the depths.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016, 16:02   #12
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Interesting. I thought that by removing all the base weapon items, artifacts would not be able to be generated. Guess I was wrong! Doesn't seem worth a rebuild over though. Besides, you'll probably want the weapon slot as a stat stick if anyone manages to make it to the depths.
Any early weapon would be a huge help to deal with those things that get too close for rockets!
Old April 7, 2016, 16:25   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Discovering it is a bolt weapon not a ball weapon was an unpleasant surprise! You absolutely need to have Phase Door to back off in hallways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Any early weapon would be a huge help to deal with those things that get too close for rockets!
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016, 16:27   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Discovering it is a bolt weapon not a ball weapon was an unpleasant surprise! You absolutely need to have Phase Door to back off in hallways.
If you could shoot over the heads of your enemies, then melee enemies wouldn't be very dangerous, now would they?
Old April 13, 2016, 05:07   #15
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I've been busy, and only now started in with this. But I'm obviously missing something (?). I do *I* get rockets for the launcher? There don't seem to be any available anywhere ..
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016, 06:33   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I've been busy, and only now started in with this. But I'm obviously missing something (?). I do *I* get rockets for the launcher? There don't seem to be any available anywhere ..
It is a never ending supply. Activate it like any artifact. It is instantly "recharged", or rather, reloaded. Beware, don't be standing in the blast radius of your own rockets, and anything that had spells, breath, or missile weapons is now packing. Good luck!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016, 14:20   #17
Derakon
Prophet

I just want to say that I'm greatly enjoying watching the ladder for this competition. I hope everyone's having fun!
Old April 13, 2016, 19:52   #18
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
As a side effect I now greatly fear not just the Tarrasque, Huan and the top spell casters. The fear for those guys is fading in comparison with the absolute horror of running around at speed zero without see invisible praying not to meet a Poltergeist or another shrieking mushroom patch... Ruined 4ever, I guess
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016, 15:59   #19
Gorbad
Apprentice

Gorbad is on a distinguished road
Just died to an Earth Elemental... figured it would only melee me, forgot about whatever it can apparently cast (too lazy to look it up).

But seriously, I had a ton of fun.. highlights, after getting past the ignominious deaths to self-immolation or shrieker patches:

- Casting 'maa' in each new room and praying nothing is awake
- Phase Dooring to get enough distance to blast something
- Realizing stair scumming is not scummy, but an essential survival trait
- Realizing resistances are *completely* futile
- The sinking feeling when the Ancient Red Dragon refused to die after a rocket to the face
- The elation when it then *failed* to fire a rocket!!

It was fun, but also doomed to failure, so the clear conclusion is that Morgoth should arm all his minions with Rocket Launchers.
Gorbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016, 20:56   #20
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with Gorbad's analysis. A stack of ?Phase Door, shameless stair scumming, constant prayer and a lot of luck is required to make any headway at all in this comp. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19012 has gotten lucky a few times now with monsters that exceed the 1,000 life-rating, but @ is definitely doomed to failure!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote