Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 11, 2016, 17:15   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes. As it happens, I agree with your sister up to a point. As a maintenance thing, it is good that related features be put close together. And the assigned numbers are necessary, otherwise savefiles could never work.

But the numbers SHOULD NOT BE DENSE. There should be modest gaps between each set of features, so future edits are easier.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016, 17:33   #22
Elfin Jedi
Adept

Elfin Jedi is on a distinguished road
The bookstore still isn't there in the new file though. It just replaced the magic store with an orange 9, and created a square of wall without a shop in it. Hmm...

Oh, and my game still doesn't display the new spellbook names in the inventory list, and I assume wouldn't in a store list.

P.S.

Mage spells are mostly coordinated with Oangband now with the exception of Hold Monsters and some of the rare spellbook spells. There isn't a way to paralyze monsters that I can see in list-effects.h. Help with making monsters able to turn themselves invisible temporarily would be appreciated too.
Elfin Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016, 17:34   #23
Elfin Jedi
Adept

Gaps in the terrain list would be nice for editing.
Old July 11, 2016, 18:55   #24
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yikes. One trouble is that MAX_STORES is hardcoded as 8 in store.h.
(Squares of wall near the edge of the map are quite common, and have to do with ordinary starburst generation, not with creating the stores.)

Don't know about why the magic shop would get a new number though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin Jedi View Post
The bookstore still isn't there in the new file though. It just replaced the magic store with an orange 9, and created a square of wall without a shop in it. Hmm...

Oh, and my game still doesn't display the new spellbook names in the inventory list, and I assume wouldn't in a store list.

P.S.

Mage spells are mostly coordinated with Oangband now with the exception of Hold Monsters and some of the rare spellbook spells. There isn't a way to paralyze monsters that I can see in list-effects.h. Help with making monsters able to turn themselves invisible temporarily would be appreciated too.
Old July 11, 2016, 18:58   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet

Note: If you are only making books available in that shop, it's better to rework the stores so all books show up in the same shop, a la, NPP.
Old July 11, 2016, 19:36   #26
Elfin Jedi
Adept

Actually fixed MAX_STORES as well as moved all the books to the bookstore (With the unfortunate result that you now can't buy any spellbooks in town lol) before I got the assertion failure that was solved by changing the feature numbers.

Also wasn't just 1 square of wall near the wall that I was talking about. It was a 3x3 (normal shop size) square in the middle of the map. I'll get a screenshot.

P.S.

I removed the books in other stores in store.txt, is that what you meant?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tryggve_2016Jul11_123543.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1434  
Old July 11, 2016, 19:48   #27
Elfin Jedi
Adept

Uploaded the edited store.h, store.txt, and terrain.txt to github, seemed like a good time for an update since the game currently runs .

Though I am putting .txt changes in the user folder still... I suppose I should move them to the gamedata folder.

https://github.com/Elfin-Jedi/My-Angband-4.0.5
Old July 11, 2016, 22:10   #28
Elfin Jedi
Adept

I think it probably would be helpful if I list changes I have already made when I ask a question, so...

I am trying to make it so monsters can cast a spell to become invisible temporarily. So far I have added this:

"name:INVIS
hit:100
effect:MON_TIMED_INC:INVISIBLE
dice:50
power:40
lore:make self invisible
message-vis:{name} disappears."

to monster_spell.txt, and this:

"RSF(INVISIBLE, RST_TACTIC)"

to list-mon-spells.h.

What else do I need to do? (It is crashing when it tries to initialize monster spells after I launch.)

Right now I am studying lines 391-403 of effects.c, in an attempt to understand what it does. (I am really new to programming, have mostly worked with edit files.)

Also is there a message somewhere for when the spell effect ends?

Last edited by Elfin Jedi; July 11, 2016 at 22:48.
Old July 11, 2016, 23:15   #29
Pete Mack
Prophet

You have added store.txt in the user directory, so I can't generate a diff at GitHub.
Old July 11, 2016, 23:24   #30
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin Jedi View Post
I think it probably would be helpful if I list changes I have already made when I ask a question, so...

I am trying to make it so monsters can cast a spell to become invisible temporarily. So far I have added this:

"name:INVIS
hit:100
effect:MON_TIMED_INC:INVISIBLE
dice:50
power:40
lore:make self invisible
message-vis:{name} disappears."

to monster_spell.txt, and this:

"RSF(INVISIBLE, RST_TACTIC)"

to list-mon-spells.h.
You should choose one name - INVIS or INVISIBLE - and stick with it for both the name: field and the RSF bit. They have to match.

Quote:
What else do I need to do? (It is crashing when it tries to initialize monster spells after I launch.)
It is crashing, I think, because the INVISIBLE after MON_TIMED_INC isn't defined anywhere. For it to be recognised you need to add a new monster timd effect in list-mon-timed.h and also corresponding messages to list-mon-message.h.

After doing all of that, the game should compile and load fine, and monsters with this spell will case it but it won't do anything. For that you need to search through the code for mentions of INVISIBLE and work out where to add extra checks. 'struct monster' has a field called m_timed where all timed effects are stored, so in theory it should be as simple as working out where the game checks for monster invisibility are and adding '|| mon->m_timed[MON_TMD_INVISIBLE]'.