Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 15, 2016, 16:07   #11
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Nick, do you want patches for current textui?
Also, I'm afraid this will be a rather substantial rewrite I'm still hoping to keep menu code, it's a good code... but the stuff like ui-input.c really makes me RAGE and why does it display messages?

edit: well, to be fair, it's really inkey() stuff that is so outrageous. That might be the single worst thing in angband's codebase...
Yeah, the inkey() stuff is enough to make you run away and never come back. I hate it but it's not the kind of thing you can refactor slowly, I think you basically just have to nuke a load of code and try again.

The message stuff also shouldn't be there, I'm assuming it is just because of the msg_flush stuff. It should obviously go in a separate ui-msg file or something.
Old July 15, 2016, 19:35   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The inkey stuff is indeed horrendous. It's the reason I haven't got the replay log package running again--the original took advantage of some features in the macro section that has since been removed.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016, 00:18   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nick, do you want patches for current textui?
Also, I'm afraid this will be a rather substantial rewrite I'm still hoping to keep menu code, it's a good code... but the stuff like ui-input.c really makes me RAGE and why does it display messages?
I certainly can't think of a single reason to say no.

I think one of the usual responses is "As long as the GCU port still works", so I'll say that
Old July 16, 2016, 02:41   #14
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I certainly can't think of a single reason to say no.

I think one of the usual responses is "As long as the GCU port still works", so I'll say that
I mean just bugfixes for textui as it as. I sent a pull request.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016, 23:38   #15
takkaria
Veteran

Sorry for taking a while to respond. I've looked at your work in progress, which looks really great, and cleared up my misunderstandings of your original post that I was originally going to post about. Anyway, here's my thoughts, feel free to ignore

Things that look good to me and I don't have anything to say: the term stack stuff, Term_fresh() changes, using the 'transparent' background attr for background in ASCII mode instead of modulo, splitting apart the graphics files into multiple files sounds pretty sensible to me too.

On colour reform, there's a general belief that the game should use a limited colour palette so that the colours are distinguishable, at least in ASCII mode, so I'm not sure using rgba gains much.

With tiles and transparency, I think it would be good to be able to draw more than two tiles on a grid - so you can draw, e.g. the floor, a trap/an object, and a monster, one on top of the other. And like you say, it would be good to be able to apply tints of various kinds to the tiles. This could maybe remove the need to have 4 different tiles per terrain feature.

With regard to input, I guess it makes sense for keypresses to be global but mouse clicks are on particular sections of the screen. Maybe that means that mouseclicks get passed along in the ui_event struct with a pointer to the term they were triggered on.
Old July 19, 2016, 07:15   #16
t4nk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
On colour reform, there's a general belief that the game should use a limited colour palette so that the colours are distinguishable, at least in ASCII mode, so I'm not sure using rgba gains much.
Well, maybe that's true for Angband, but Angband is not the only game that is possible to create using Angband's engine, is it

Quote:
With tiles and transparency, I think it would be good to be able to draw more than two tiles on a grid - so you can draw, e.g. the floor, a trap/an object, and a monster, one on top of the other. And like you say, it would be good to be able to apply tints of various kinds to the tiles. This could maybe remove the need to have 4 different tiles per terrain feature.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I recall that Crawl can display an object on a trap at least... Now that grid cells are structs it's easy to add more stuff to them.

Quote:
With regard to input, I guess it makes sense for keypresses to be global but mouse clicks are on particular sections of the screen. Maybe that means that mouseclicks get passed along in the ui_event struct with a pointer to the term they were triggered on.
Yes, I thought about that. Something like that will probably be necessary to make right mouse click menus work ("run towards" etc).
Old July 26, 2016, 01:37   #17
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Well, maybe that's true for Angband, but Angband is not the only game that is possible to create using Angband's engine, is it
True.

I am really impressed with your work so far!
Old July 26, 2016, 02:03   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yeah, but the basic problem remains: in text mode, only a relatively small number of colors can be distinguished by eye. It is not unique to angband. Boldface, italic, flickering is a better option in general here. Certainly there's room for a few more colors. But not 256, or even 64, let alone "millions". Now it's certainly reasonable to render graphics in many colors, but that is already done in most of the ports (X11 and gcu being the obvious exceptions.)

Quote:
Old July 27, 2016, 12:14   #19
t4nk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I am really impressed with your work so far!
What My method is extremely questionable. Initially I planned to leave the Term API more of less as it is, and just do some minimal updates to textui, to get it to work as quickly as possible. And, of course, I ended up redesigning ui-term.c entirely, and I'm rewriting huge parts of textui So, naturally, when I'll finally manage to compile it, it just won't work, and then I'll have to fix it! We'll see. I simply can't resist the temptation. Right now I'm thinking what to do with ui-object.c... such a pile of nonsense... (btw, debo, I saw horrible things, but I still think inkey() is the worst )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack
Yeah, but the basic problem remains: in text mode, only a relatively small number of colors can be distinguished by eye. It is not unique to angband. Boldface, italic, flickering is a better option in general here. Certainly there's room for a few more colors. But not 256, or even 64, let alone "millions". Now it's certainly reasonable to render graphics in many colors, but that is already done in most of the ports (X11 and gcu being the obvious exceptions.)
See Brogue for an example! I know that some people call it "clown vomit", I don't care
Old July 27, 2016, 17:32   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

@t4nk--
If you think angband's code is archaic, then take a look at poschengband. That really does contain very much of the original code from angband v 2.7-2.8 from which it was forked. There is code in there that says "I borrowed the idea from v3.5 but rewrote it from scratch" on undocumented code with variable names like "o", "l", and "t". Very, very old school stuff.