AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old August 14, 2016, 12:53   #41
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Really want to nuke the "-more-" prompt... it's buggy and complicates everything
Does the code present a different method of conveying the information that could be used instead (as opposed to ignoring the rest of the messages)? Such as multiple lines displayed on the screen at once?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016, 22:31   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, and to Nick: you said you have some thing to do in RL; don't let my work bother you! My intention is to produce something reasonably stable and relatively polished, and there is still a long way to go. Also, lately I'm having some vague thoughts about how to make ncurses client work with it... it will take some time before I'll cosider the new text ui a beta! As for now, everything is subject to change without notice, so looking at it too hard is probably not even very useful
Great, thanks for that.

On the -more- prompt, if you can think of a way of dealing with messages without assuming a dedicated message window, then go for it.
Old August 15, 2016, 00:05   #43
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Does the code present a different method of conveying the information that could be used instead (as opposed to ignoring the rest of the messages)? Such as multiple lines displayed on the screen at once?
There is a separate term for messages. It's optional, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
On the -more- prompt, if you can think of a way of dealing with messages without assuming a dedicated message window, then go for it.
The problem is that the prompt term (or prompt area, in current angband's ui - the upper line of the term_screen) displays two kinds of messages: messages and prompts from the ui ("Do you want to quit?") and messages from the game core ("You hit the kobold!"). This is just buggy by design...
Well, for now I'll reset the prompt state (the equivalent of message_column) to 0 every time the ui prints a prompt. That should eliminate the worst cases at least.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016, 12:42   #44
t4nk
Adept

I came to the conclusion that the term stack thing was a pretty good idea It works a lot better than I expected. Of course, that's because Angband's UI, in practice, already has this stack - it's just implemented as a linked list (of Term->mem->mem->mem...). Here's the stack with textbox:
https://postimg.org/image/xpxc7js95/
And note that the shop is not drawn on the same term as the map! It's just displayed like that. The map is completely separate from everything else (and doesn't have to be the same size).
Old August 17, 2016, 23:42   #45
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The problem is that the prompt term (or prompt area, in current angband's ui - the upper line of the term_screen) displays two kinds of messages: messages and prompts from the ui ("Do you want to quit?") and messages from the game core ("You hit the kobold!"). This is just buggy by design...
Maybe it looks like a hack from an engineer's perspective, but as far as design goes, I think it's reasonably elegant - the user is always looking at the top line of the screen anyway, and when a prompt is being displayed you don't need to read previous messages.

Under the new term stack model, I could see a case being made for each new term window being given a titlebar with the prompt in it instead - it doesn't really make sense for it to be right at the top if the window that's opened is in the middle of the screen. Then in the curses ui version that can just be printed at the top of the screen again.
Old August 18, 2016, 05:19   #46
t4nk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Maybe it looks like a hack from an engineer's perspective, but as far as design goes, I think it's reasonably elegant - the user is always looking at the top line of the screen anyway, and when a prompt is being displayed you don't need to read previous messages.
Well, from a user's perspective, "-more-" makes me press a ton of keys all the time, and most messages are not worth reading! "You hit the kobold" - what do I care? What would be good is to force pause on important messages ("*** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***"). I do have some ideas...

Quote:
Under the new term stack model, I could see a case being made for each new term window being given a titlebar with the prompt
Great minds think alike! I did consider that (when thinking about tile picker). A term could perhaps have a header and a footer (similar to how menus have them). Those could be text, while the middle of the term could be tiles, or text with different font... it's a bit annoying to do, but not too much, so maybe
As it is, various menus and textblocks do tend to gravitate towards the prompt area:
https://postimg.org/image/vco26pl0p/
(BTW! What's the deal with using double spaces between sentences in various descriptions? Another old school thing, I guess...)
Old August 21, 2016, 18:27   #47
t4nk
Adept

I did the seconds pass over ui2-* files. At this point all the major systems of ui work (except for debugging stuff), and the game is playable.
https://postimg.org/image/tc42375uj/
There are certainly many bugs left, the frontend is not fully operational yet (no tiles, no additional subwindows) and the ui could use some optimizations (perhaps even diff-based optimizations, a la ui-term.c), but I think it's a major milestone. All in all, I was surprised by how well it went. I expected it to take a lot longer.
Old August 21, 2016, 21:51   #48
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I did the seconds pass over ui2-* files. At this point all the major systems of ui work (except for debugging stuff), and the game is playable.
https://postimg.org/image/tc42375uj/
There are certainly many bugs left, the frontend is not fully operational yet (no tiles, no additional subwindows) and the ui could use some optimizations (perhaps even diff-based optimizations, a la ui-term.c), but I think it's a major milestone. All in all, I was surprised by how well it went. I expected it to take a lot longer.
That is looking really good
Old August 22, 2016, 17:42   #49
t4nk
Adept

This thing I'm especially proud of:
https://postimg.org/image/tn9q8z69l/
That was already a feature of old SDL2 frontend, but I had to do it "by hand". Now do_cmd_view_map() is smarter and asks the frontend for desirable map size (full map, in this case). And it still knows how to scale the map Angband-style, if necessary.

Last edited by t4nk; August 22, 2016 at 18:20.
Old August 24, 2016, 11:52   #50
t4nk
Adept

Making decent progress:
https://postimg.org/image/40eauh38f/
Now, the problem is that additional subwindows make the game crash immediately when they're too small. That's because the new Term package doesn't tolerate printing off screen. An easy way around it is to make Term less strict... the proper way is to make additional terms adaptable, or at least print an error message ("Subwindow is too small!") when the user makes it too small...
I think I'll take a short break. Of course, when I say "I'll take a break" I usually don't take any breaks But I'll try anyway and in the meantime will think what to do with small terms...