AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 3, 2016, 00:41   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Schrödinger's bug

So (fingers crossed) I am now back to some sort of regular development work, and my first task is to try and finish tracking down this bug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Bug: Items previously found and ignored being redisplayed as unknown objects after another treasure detection within their range. Note the two red asterisks to @'s left. These were previously ignored objects, but now show again after use of treasure detection.
I have identified that the problem is player knowledge of objects being wiped on closing and reopening the game. So I thought I would track down where the loss of information was happening by running in gdb and watching the appropriate known object. Result? The object I was watching remained known, but all others still disappeared.

While I'm slightly flattered by how important the game obviously considers me, it doesn't help fix the bug. Any suggestions? I think optimisation is already set to 0 (unless something is overriding what's in src/Makefile).
Old October 3, 2016, 02:22   #2
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Any suggestions?
Remove the ID game and monster knowledge and have everything known to the player from when they start the game?
Old October 3, 2016, 02:31   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Remove the ID game and monster knowledge and have everything known to the player from when they start the game?
Wouldn't help - this is whether the player remembers that individual found items on the current level even exist.

Your attempt to help is noted.
Old October 3, 2016, 03:04   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Does it consistently work like that, that the item you keep an eye on remains known while others vanish?

Since you're closing and re-opening the game, I kind of assume you don't have a "reading memory that has been freed" type of situation here. What are the repro steps?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 03:13   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There's another problem. After detecting once, detecting a second time does not remove items picked up by monsters
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 03:18   #6
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I have identified that the problem is player knowledge of objects being wiped on closing and reopening the game. So I thought I would track down where the loss of information was happening by running in gdb and watching the appropriate known object. Result? The object I was watching remained known, but all others still disappeared.

While I'm slightly flattered by how important the game obviously considers me, it doesn't help fix the bug. Any suggestions? I think optimisation is already set to 0 (unless something is overriding what's in src/Makefile).
Well, here's one bug: use item with effect_handler_SENSE_OBJECT (e.g., scroll of treasure detection), detect some objects and close the game. Load it again and the red '*' are no longer there. As far as I can tell, that's because object_sense() in obj-knowledge.c creates new object without tval and sval (that is, with tval and sval 0, since it's mem_zalloc'ed). What is needed is tval 0 ("none") and sval 2 ("unknown item") (map_info() looks for that, specifically for obj->kind == unknown_item_kind). Objects with tval and sval 0 cannot be loaded (load.c, rd_item()):
Code:
	obj->kind = lookup_kind(obj->tval, obj->sval);

/* Check we have a kind */
	if ((!obj->tval && !obj->sval) || !obj->kind) {
		object_delete(&obj);
		return NULL;
	}
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 03:42   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Well, here's one bug: use item with effect_handler_SENSE_OBJECT (e.g., scroll of treasure detection), detect some objects and close the game. Load it again and the red '*' are no longer there. As far as I can tell, that's because object_sense() in obj-knowledge.c creates new object without tval and sval (that is, with tval and sval 0, since it's mem_zalloc'ed). What is needed is tval 0 ("none") and sval 2 ("unknown item") (map_info() looks for that, specifically for obj->kind == unknown_item_kind).
Awesome, problem solved