Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 2, 2017, 16:51   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I'm a little surprised that Deathwreaker is coming in so low. It's a ridiculously powerful artifact--just utterly murderous. For most characters, I'd prefer it to Vilya.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017, 22:29   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Recommend not including traditional 'bad' items in the averages and min values.
That's probably a good idea.

I'm actually not sure what to do about the bad artifacts. They haven't really made much sense for a while, and probably make even less with the new curses; but on the other hand, I'm reluctant to abandon them completely.

Calris has a different issue; it was always a genuine mixed blessing item, but now there's the problem of the big minus to-hit and too few scrolls to enchant it up. Possibly it should just get a couple of different, suitable curses, and the player has the choice of taking it as it is, or trying to uncurse with the risk of losing it.
Old May 2, 2017, 22:33   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I'm actually not sure what to do about the bad artifacts. They haven't really made much sense for a while, and probably make even less with the new curses; but on the other hand, I'm reluctant to abandon them completely.

Calris has a different issue; it was always a genuine mixed blessing item, but now there's the problem of the big minus to-hit and too few scrolls to enchant it up. Possibly it should just get a couple of different, suitable curses, and the player has the choice of taking it as it is, or trying to uncurse with the risk of losing it.
Maybe one possible curse would be "large penalty to to-hit", so Scrolls of Repair Curse could fix that malus. I don't know how well that would interact with combat stat tracking (i.e. the fact that there's now a mysterious modifier to the to-hit for the weapon, which would need to be tracked whenever to-hit is used).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017, 23:02   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Maybe one possible curse would be "large penalty to to-hit", so Scrolls of Repair Curse could fix that malus. I don't know how well that would interact with combat stat tracking (i.e. the fact that there's now a mysterious modifier to the to-hit for the weapon, which would need to be tracked whenever to-hit is used).
You're right, and that is actually really easy. The new curses are implemented via a fake object whose properties are added to the existing object properties; for example the vulnerability curse "curse object" has -50 to AC and the aggravate flag.
Old May 2, 2017, 23:20   #15
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You could rescue the bad artifacts with the new curse system and show off the new curses at the same time (I think they're really neat but there's not much reason to ever use cursed equipment currently). Switch the stat penalties for interesting curses, like the crown which offers telepathy also inducing hallucinations would be a good one, or gorlim having the stoneskin curse, wormtongue boots getting siren, etc.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017, 02:58   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

If you make that change, then you should ignore any negative combat maluses on weapons and bows, since they would become essentially temporary. Give them a fixed negative cost, roughly the same as a weak removable curse. Obviously, it shouldn't apply to non-melee objects like Rings of the Mouse.

Quote:
You're right, and that is actually really easy. The new curses are implemented via a fake object whose properties are added to the existing object properties; for example the vulnerability curse "curse object" has -50 to AC and the aggravate flag.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:25   #17
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm actually not sure what to do about the bad artifacts.
They're there to generate a couple nasty randarts...
Old May 3, 2017, 15:22   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
If you make that change, then you should ignore any negative combat maluses on weapons and bows, since they would become essentially temporary. Give them a fixed negative cost, roughly the same as a weak removable curse. Obviously, it shouldn't apply to non-melee objects like Rings of the Mouse.
Note the chance of losing the item when trying to break the curse. Curses aren't completely irrelevant just because they can be broken, just like we don't assume that all wands/staves have infinite charges.
Old May 3, 2017, 20:33   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

@derakon--
Sure. But that's a fixed cost; it doesn't scale with the size of the malus. If you make it an actual curse, say 'fumblefingers' costing -20 to_hit, you can apply it to Morgul and Nazgul weapons too, so when they are uncursed they are around +10 to hit, but with the curse active, around -10. It also means Rangers and the like can't fix it with enchantment.
Old May 3, 2017, 20:37   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
@derakon--
Sure. But that's a fixed cost; it doesn't scale with the size of the malus. If you make it an actual curse, say 'fumblefingers' costing -20 to_hit, you can apply it to Morgul and Nazgul weapons too, so when they are uncursed they are around +10 to hit, but with the curse active, around -10. It also means Rangers and the like can't fix it with enchantment.
That's true. Could you stack the same curse multiple times, so that you run increasing risks of the item being destroyed if you want it to be completely uncursed?