Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 4, 2017, 20:26   #21
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
a few suggestions ..

i would keep the three rings of the elves; they are part of the legendarium, and randomizing them rarely gives something better than a RoS +10. it's also weird to find two different rings of adamantium, or two arkenstones for the matter.

i would also keep standarts lights. when your phial gives you +4 CON and a couple important resists, you really dont care you don't have the map-level ability.

it would be nice if the artifacts where kept in the same ballpark as they are now. instead of having a randart game with 12 shooters, 7 diggers, 2 rings, 5 lights ... of which 2 were torches, +1 light. artifact torches are silly. stay tuned for the Toilet Paper of Ostil, the Baked Beans of Gunnar, and the Toothpaste of Tindor.

the idea is that the randarts exist in the same world as the standarts. so, you can have the Pike of Ustillan, but the Power Dragon Scale Mail "Bladeturner" would be the one and only, same for the RoPs.

that's why i also like the idea of having a mixed set between some artifacts not randomized, and some randomized.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 20:28   #22
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Counterargument: I don't want any fixed artifacts, because the entire point of randarts is that I've seen all the standarts a million times already and they're not special any more.

But yeah, the ability to mix standarts and randarts is a sufficiently common request that I suspect it'll be implemented as some kind of slider-based option at some point. I'd be surprised if it let you specify which standarts to keep, though.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 01:05   #23
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
a few suggestions ..

i would keep the three rings of the elves; they are part of the legendarium, and randomizing them rarely gives something better than a RoS +10. it's also weird to find two different rings of adamantium, or two arkenstones for the matter.

i would also keep standarts lights. when your phial gives you +4 CON and a couple important resists, you really dont care you don't have the map-level ability.

it would be nice if the artifacts where kept in the same ballpark as they are now. instead of having a randart game with 12 shooters, 7 diggers, 2 rings, 5 lights ... of which 2 were torches, +1 light. artifact torches are silly. stay tuned for the Toilet Paper of Ostil, the Baked Beans of Gunnar, and the Toothpaste of Tindor.

the idea is that the randarts exist in the same world as the standarts. so, you can have the Pike of Ustillan, but the Power Dragon Scale Mail "Bladeturner" would be the one and only, same for the RoPs.

that's why i also like the idea of having a mixed set between some artifacts not randomized, and some randomized.
The idea of randarts is to let you experience the surprise of your first playthroughs again. Back then, you didnt know how many lights there were nor that they could map a level.

When you play standart game, you have certain expectations and the surprise is limited to unlikely finds or lack thereof. With randarts, I want as little knowledge of the ballpark as possible; a light source with con and resists is _exactly_ the stuff I want.

At some point a long time ago I got bored of Angband, but realized that the reason for that was that looting vaults had become an exercise of looking at base items: this augmented chain mail is junk because I already have Caspanion, the mithril plate mail could be Celeborn and that longsword over there is not 4d5 so I can ignore it. Randarts are a salvation and the only time I get disappointed now is when I see the stupid plain gold ring.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote